I'm not normally a fan of all things crossed with a 'poo' but

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I’m wondering what the people around you are doing for their dogs to turn out like you have described!

To be honest, I used to be a bit snobby about the ‘poo’ type breeds. But then I realised it was simply the ridiculous naming that got to me, as I have actually always loved cross breeds.
The more time I spend around poo type breeds, the more I love them! I’d say the various poo crosses make up about 60% of my client base.

I think it's the names that get to me too. Some of these crosses are really lovely dogs.

I realised this evening watching my JRT doing vertical leaps through the long grass this evening, that I have my very own new crossbreed, the Jackaroo.... do you think it could catch on?

scats

Visit site
well they are round me as well!!!!! yes i hate the fancy names whats wrong with poodle cross or cocker spaniel cross, which is what they are. i have only ever had one pure bred and that was my deerhound (my favourite breed) all my others have been various crosses ..

I have a Shih Tzu x JR. I really like this cross because it has elongated the brachy nose so Lily-Rose doesn’t have the same struggles as some Shih Tzu’s I know. However, I refuse to call her a Jack Shuh (or a Jack sh*t!)
All mine are cross breeds. Love them. Our most unusual is a Husky x Great Dane, super dog- full of character, fit, healthy and turns heads wherever she goes I think because she just looks like a proper ‘dog’ (if that makes sense!)

{97702}

Visit site
I think it's the names that get to me too. Some of these crosses are really lovely dogs.

I realised this evening watching my JRT doing vertical leaps through the long grass this evening, that I have my very own new crossbreed, the Jackaroo.... do you think it could catch on?

I hate to say it, but I’m pretty sure that is already a “breed” (I.e. crossbreed/mongrel/stupid made up name to impress the gullible...)

{97702}

Visit site
I’m wondering what the people around you are doing for their dogs to turn out like you have described!

To be honest, I used to be a bit snobby about the ‘poo’ type breeds. But then I realised it was simply the ridiculous naming that got to me, as I have actually always loved cross breeds.
The more time I spend around poo type breeds, the more I love them! I’d say the various poo crosses make up about 60% of my client base.

Now I may be wrongly putting words into your mouth - in which case i sincerely apologise - but the inference I draw from this post is that you think that those of us who are criticising crossbreds are being “snobby” about them?

I have a mongrel terrier and a mongrel sighthound cross that I laughingly call a lurcher for the sake of a better word. I couldn’t give a damn what breeding a dog has in it.

What I really object to, which the majority of these mongrel/crossbred owners dine out on, is the idea that their dog is something ‘special’ or ‘different’ because they were daft to pay a ridiculously inflated price for it?

No, these dogs aren’t hypoallergenic/don’t moult/don’t cause allergies/act like K9 in terms of obedience - they are just average dogs who often appear have inexperienced and ignorant owners
who apparently don’t know how to teach their dogs basic manners. That is my objection to them, a myth created I would guess by backyard unethical breeders appealing to the “I want a cute puppy NOW brigade” ?

scats

Visit site
Now I may be wrongly putting words into your mouth - in which case i sincerely apologise - but the inference I draw from this post is that you think that those of us who are criticising crossbreds are being “snobby” about them?

I have a mongrel terrier and a mongrel sighthound cross that I laughingly call a lurcher for the sake of a better word. I couldn’t give a damn what breeding a dog has in it.

What I really object to, which the majority of these mongrel/crossbred owners dine out on, is the idea that their dog is something ‘special’ or ‘different’ because they were daft to pay a ridiculously inflated price for it?

No, these dogs aren’t hypoallergenic/don’t moult/don’t cause allergies/act like K9 in terms of obedience - they are just average dogs who often appear have inexperienced and ignorant owners
who apparently don’t know how to teach their dogs basic manners. That is my objection to them, a myth created I would guess by backyard unethical breeders appealing to the “I want a cute puppy NOW brigade” ?

Nope, genuinely wasn’t inferring anyone else was snobby about them, but simply saying I think I actually was. I’m not the type of person who makes swipes at people on forums or in real life, and I’d hope most people would realise that about me by now. Apologies for any offence caused.

I totally agree with you that the prices are ridiculous considering they are quite simply a crossbreed, but I suppose it’s like anything, if the demand is there, people will pay inflated prices and people will continue to breed them.
I paid a £50 rehoming fee to a rescue for my Great Dane x. Best money I’ve ever spent. But, as you say, so many people want the cute cuddly pup and they’ll pay what the backyard breeders ask. I can only imagine that this poo breeds will become more and more popular, perhaps to the detriment of other breeds, which is sad.

I do find it quite ironic when people buy these non-shedding breeds in the false thinking that they are easier to look after... they actually require far more daily coat maintenance to avoid matts and then the inevitable shave down when the poor groomer is faced with no option...

GSD Woman

Visit site
Around here most of the poo mixes are breed from not great examples of either breed. We see quite a few cute, little poo mixes that mostly have decent temperaments. The bigger poo mixes are a crap shoot. I do have a friend with 3 "doodles" that she runs in agility. The youngest dog is her daughter's service dog. The good ones do exist but they are hard to find.

palo1

Visit site
Blime, I think I’ve actually managed to upload a photo. :p Here’s my Poopoo, Teddy. His registered name (the breeder gave him this name) is Lord Teddy Bear of Chichester

View attachment 51029

What a gloriously elegant dog - even in that recumbent position!! :) :) My daughter swears that her first dog (of her own) will be a poodle. Wonderful dogs if they are bred and trained correctly. :)

palo1

Visit site
Nope, genuinely wasn’t inferring anyone else was snobby about them, but simply saying I think I actually was. I’m not the type of person who makes swipes at people on forums or in real life, and I’d hope most people would realise that about me by now. Apologies for any offence caused.

I totally agree with you that the prices are ridiculous considering they are quite simply a crossbreed, but I suppose it’s like anything, if the demand is there, people will pay inflated prices and people will continue to breed them.
I paid a £50 rehoming fee to a rescue for my Great Dane x. Best money I’ve ever spent. But, as you say, so many people want the cute cuddly pup and they’ll pay what the backyard breeders ask. I can only imagine that this poo breeds will become more and more popular, perhaps to the detriment of other breeds, which is sad.

I do find it quite ironic when people buy these non-shedding breeds in the false thinking that they are easier to look after... they actually require far more daily coat maintenance to avoid matts and then the inevitable shave down when the poor groomer is faced with no option...

I find it hilarious the prices people will pay for a crossbreed, especially since I have rehomed a number of extraordinarily aristocratic, well bred and wonderful dogs over the years and the most I have paid in fees has been £60. Obviously Red Irish Terrier was far more expensive as a pup but then he is the one that looks most like a mongrel/crossbreed and most people think he is a cross breed of some sort!! I have to confess that I like pedigree/ lineaged animals because you have a much better chance of knowing what you are going to get and I believe that there are well bred dogs/animals already in existence for any job. I don't mind a cross breed - the character and health of the animal is far more important than anything but I don't really have a clue why people bother with crosses. What is wrong with a poodle if you want that kind of coat/look? What is wrong with a spaniel if you want that level of energy/intelligence? Surely one or the other would be fine I reckon but we are all different and animals suffer from fashions as much as anything. Having said all of that I do know that I very openly admire lurchers but for me they are much more of a type than a 'breed' and have a very long and venerable history rather than being, say 'the dog of 2018'...

scats

Visit site
People have been crossbreeding dogs for thousands of years to suit their needs. Many of the purebred breeds today came about from crossing other breeds, whether that be because some emporer decided they wanted a lapdog or the hunters of the time needed something small enough to flush badgers out of the ground.
As time moves on and society changes, the reasons for having dogs is always going to put a heavy influence on breeding. For a lot of people, the cockerpoo, which I imagine started out as either an accident or an experiment, fits the needs of the family dog.

Personally, I adore poodles, but I still know a lot of people who think of them, sadly, as a bit daft (I think this has come from that stereotype of the styled show poodle with the Pom Pom heads and tails), but they will happily accept a dog with a bit of poodle in them.

As well as the poo crosses, Bichon x Shih Tzu’s are becoming really popular. I see at least 3 a week.

palo1

Visit site
People have been crossbreeding dogs for thousands of years to suit their needs. Many of the purebred breeds today came about from crossing other breeds, whether that be because some emporer decided they wanted a lapdog or the hunters of the time needed something small enough to flush badgers out of the ground.
As time moves on and society changes, the reasons for having dogs is always going to put a heavy influence on breeding. For a lot of people, the cockerpoo, which I imagine started out as either an accident or an experiment, fits the needs of the family dog.

Personally, I adore poodles, but I still know a lot of people who think of them, sadly, as a bit daft (I think this has come from that stereotype of the styled show poodle with the Pom Pom heads and tails), but they will happily accept a dog with a bit of poodle in them.

As well as the poo crosses, Bichon x Shih Tzu’s are becoming really popular. I see at least 3 a week.

You are right Scats - people have been breeding and cross-breeding dogs to suit forever! It just 'feels' rather daft to me to see so many cross breeds lauded like they have had the consideration and careful breeding that pure breeds have had and it seems particularly frivolous and unthought out to me these days. Perhaps it is just a really 1st world approach to dogs as accessories though I agree that there is nothing wrong in people acquiring a dog of their choice. I am a bit of an old stick in the mud and find it hard to rate cross breeds of certain types in relation to their most lovely predecessors. I just don't see how crossing a Bichon, which is a lovely breed with a Shih Tzu - again a breed with qualities of it's own can make something 'better' than either pure bred but I am happy with my dogs and others with theirs so all is ok really. :)

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site

My boy Inka was supposed to be Bichon X Shih Tzu but turns out he is Cavachon X Shih Tzu, just as lovely, just a bit bigger

Last edited:

palo1

Visit site
My boy Inka was supposed to be Bichon X Shih Tzu but turns out he is Cavachon X Shih Tzu, just as lovely, just a bit bigger

He is very cute! I am interested to know if you just liked him as a puppy/rehome or whether you set out to find this sort of dog? If you were looking for a cross-breed particularly did you identify specific crosses that you were interested in and if so, why these? Was there a reason for not choosing a single breed? (I know cost might be a huge consideration but judging from todays prices it is probably no longer a real issue). :)

P3LH

Visit site
One of the best dogs I know is my in-laws shi tzu x poodle. He’s the easiest to live with and most chilled dog I’ve ever met. I also seem to really like every cavalier x Poodle I meet too.

It’s a shame that so many people can’t get past the poodle stereotype. I’m a huge fan of them, as I’ve stated previously, and would one day love a dark red miniature or phantom miniature (or both!). The only draw back for me is I find some a bit too ‘driven’ aka too nuts! I definitely don’t get why they are seen as less of a dog. I’ve always found them very spaniel like, just in a woolly jumper.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Some of my poo cross objection stems from the existence of the many toy and utility breeds that would often be a better fit as a family pet, or at least more predictable in terms of coat type, energy levels and temperament so you can make a properly informed choice. I've seen too many families get caught out with what turns out to be a seriously full-on cross.

This may or may not be influenced by the Maltese puppy I got to munch up yesterday. ?

P3LH

Visit site
Some of my poo cross objection stems from the existence of the many toy and utility breeds that would often be a better fit as a family pet, or at least more predictable in terms of coat type, energy levels and temperament so you can make a properly informed choice. I've seen too many families get caught out with what turns out to be a seriously full-on cross.

This may or may not be influenced by the Maltese puppy I got to munch up yesterday. ?

I would agree. I can’t understand why more people don’t snap Tibetan terriers up if they want an all round family dog of that sort of size and look.

Last edited:

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
He is very cute! I am interested to know if you just liked him as a puppy/rehome or whether you set out to find this sort of dog? If you were looking for a cross-breed particularly did you identify specific crosses that you were interested in and if so, why these? Was there a reason for not choosing a single breed? (I know cost might be a huge consideration but judging from todays prices it is probably no longer a real issue). :)
My friend rescued him, his brothers and his mum at 2 days old, I went to visit them at 7 weeks and that was it, he came and sat on me and then at 10 weeks came home to me.

palo1

Visit site
My friend rescued him, his brothers and his mum at 2 days old, I went to visit them at 7 weeks and that was it, he came and sat on me and then at 10 weeks came home to me.

Nice that he has a good home :) It is a shame that things weren't great to start with though. That is something I think is an issue with the fashionable cross breeds sadly.

[139672]

Visit site
What a gloriously elegant dog - even in that recumbent position!! :):) My daughter swears that her first dog (of her own) will be a poodle. Wonderful dogs if they are bred and trained correctly. :)
They are lovely dogs. Personally I prefer the toy or miniature. Spent too long being dragged around by my aunty’s labradors so wanted a smaller dog and it wasn’t practical to fit a larger dog in my convertible! Teddy loves dog training. We’ve been going to obedience training for 8 years now as we both enjoy it so much ??

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I would agree. I can’t understand why more people don’t snap Tibetan terriers up if they want an all round family dog of that sort of size and look.
A friend had a Tibetan terrier and it was really tough for her to manage, she ended up rehoming it as he was so needy.
Westies, Maltese, bichon frise, poms, chi's, loads of other small toy breeds that I'd recommend but my one and only Tibetan terrier experience would put me off!

scats

Visit site

I’m not sure how easy it is to find Tibetan breeders. There certainly aren’t many, if any around here. Most people seem unwilling to travel for a puppy, so tend to go with what they can find locally. It would be quite interesting to see if certain cross breeds are more popular in certain parts of the country.
As for Tibetan terriers, we have one that lives locally and is walked by an elderly gentleman (one of my dogs hates it, no idea why, but she goes really defensive when she sees it) and my friend has a cross Tibetan who comes to me for grooming, but I never see any others.

scats

Visit site

I love the Maltese! Gorgeous dogs. The Bichon has become quite popular again, as a pure breed. There are lots of Bichon crosses around, but there are a decent number of Bichons around here. Even 10 years ago, you hardly saw them around here.