I'm scared of being bucked off...

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a horse who I am thinking of bringing back into work. I've had him ages and he has been difficult for me. I've just not ridden him now in a fair time. I enjoy my other horse and don't enjoy the idea of riding this one so I just haven't!
The problem is he's wasted and a bit bored and soon enough my grazing wont be great so I think he needs a bit of a life!
I've always been a reasonably confident rider in the way that I didn't overly enjoy naughty horses but I had this (weird and wrong) idea in my head that I didn't fall off and could stay on anything!!!- I'd not come off in 15 years!
Anyhow last year off a different horse I was thrown nastily 3 times resulting in fairly bad injuries each time.
This particular horse has never thrown me but I know he will get on his toes and I need to remain chilled when he does or he will get worse. It was never a problem but I'm scared now he will buck me off on the roads aswell!
I can only ride him on the roads first as this is where he will behave best so I will have the most confidence.
I'm trying to tell myself that IF he was a bucker it would have happened by now, I've had him about 6 years....is that right?!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
YOur last statement, yup that's right, six years no buck - not likely to happen now.

However just to give you a bit more confidence get a pelham rounding and strap it across the saddle Ds so you have a handle. You won't need it but you have the security of knowing it's there:D

mandwhy

Visit site
It doesn't sound like he's a bucker! Lucky you I just had an accident off a bucker and would love to ride something that hasn't bucked in 6 years haha!

It will be fine, will he not lunge? I would do that first if you can just to get any freshness out, but otherwise, BP on and away you go! Also read info about how to fall, I know its easier said than done in that split second you're heading for the floor but I have found it somehow comforting to be a bit more prepared just in case!

Kokopelli

Visit site
Grab a neck strap and you'll be fine, I doubt he'll buck anyway.

Is there anybody you could get on him first just to give you peace of mind?

Mark Gilbert

Visit site
Go for it! just take it slow. Dont over lunge as it will get him fit before you get on. Maybe ride out with company but stay positive so your horse can feel that you are safe and know what you are doing!

And have fun, good luck you can do it!

KentOsteo

Visit site
Hi! I can totally empathise. As a teenager I was thrown off on 3 different occasions by 3 different horses, each resulting in various delightful injuries, and I must say it really affected me. Two of the incidents occured when I was walking the horse on a loose rein - spook, bolt, buck and off I went!
It took a long old time to get to the stage where I was happy riding on a long rein on any horse - I almost needed the security of having a contact just in case.
Best thing I found was totally adopting the attitude of a rider who was cool, calm and collected - and not allowing myself to think of the accidents that had happened before.
The more you worry about something going wrong, the more tense you are and your horse will pick up on it. Go out with another horse who is a plod and just relax, smile and enjoy it!

Rose Folly

Visit site
Totally sympathise with you. But:

a) Doesn't sound if you've got a bucker
b) Ride out with a friend (on a well-behaved horse) the first few times
c) I was always told as a child 'the Devil finds work for idle hands'. i.e. IF you felt he was about to buck trot him on, briskly, or turn him round and ride him the other way - keep his mind on YOU, not on what he might/might not like to do next
d) Following on from that, plan your first ride so that it's quiet roads, and somewhere with scope for trotting on
e) and if he DID buck, which he won't, then make sure you've set aside enough time so that you can just ride on and on and on - not hard riding - but just so he comes back one very tired horse. Then you've won anyway.

Good luck.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have an irrational (ish!) fear of being bucked off and I think it stems from years ago I tried a horse and it did indeed buck me off. I also got bucked off by a loan horse who I took on PC camp and the instructor said his saddle didn't fit so padded it out with gamgee and other stuff which clearly pinched as he bucked me off and broke my arm. I can still see his withers coming up to meet my face! I have ridden a lot since then and not on horses that buck but it still is in the back of my mind. I think you will be fine once you are on and 6 years with no buck sounds pretty safe to me.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I am in a similar situation, I too have an older horse out of work and another easier horse which I love riding. I feel guilty that the older horse isn't doing anything but to be honest he was never the easiest. I keep meaning to try but haven't managed it yet. Good luck.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thanks, your all right!
He has bucked, quite severely , just not with me ;-) This is because he hates it when people ride him forcefully and panics a bit if they ask him to do something he doesnt understand or try and "get him round" by sawing his mouth....I just dont so these things so he has no reason to ge rid of me.
I dont know if this is wet or sensible of me but i try and stay within our safety area!
I will get someone to ride my other horse with us as hes quiet and a good influence.
Will dust the bp off, watch this space.....

poiuytrewq

Visit site
No he wont lunge. I dont know why as im sure he used to but he just runs away from me and drags me round the field, legs in all directions- its more unsafe than jumping on!

padderpaws

Visit site
Being bucked off is very very scary and very dangerous. You are right to be worried but IF he has not done it in 6 years it is unlikely. I would not ride a horse that bucks big as I do not want to end up in a wheel chair. Neck straps will not keep you on a horse that truly wants you off, it will happen so quick and so violently that you will be off before you can grab the neck strap. BUT you know your horse better than anyone.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Tell me about it! The first time I was off before I even sat in the saddle properly! One massive buck. The last time was constant the horse was not stopping til I was off, this was in the middle of a busy road....especially nice.
I won't ride anything else anymore except mine.

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
get a neck strap, or as its generally known round here an ''Oh ***** strap''
keep your little fingers (i actually use my index fingers on bouncy horses) tucked under it.
Major confidence giver! Also believe it or not, short stirrups make it easier to stay on bucks!