Implications on horse care. Coronavirus.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The original post by rabatsa was about giving them the best chance of survival.

Which is completely different to what happened in China

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Advise is to self isolated even with no symptoms from the grade 1 high risk countries (mainland China etc), but only to isolate if you start to feel unwell if you've been to lower risk countries.

Which, to me feels like it might be a bit too late... I flew through Hong Kong on the way to and from New Zealand and do not need to self isolate until I feel unwell... One week back and no symptoms yet so hoping I've not been an unwitting carrier, though I was obviously careful whilst travelling to try and limit potential contamination.

paddy555

Visit site
Contrary to your previous statement GS I live in the real world, on this planet funnily enough. I am low risk, the majority of people in my age range who got sick did not die and suffered only mild to moderate symptoms. I understand the risk of transmission to those more vulnerable but there is always a risk of passing anything viral/bacterial on to someone who has pre-existing conditions; colds, sickness bug etc.

it is good to know in your world that you would only get mild symptoms and it would not be too much of a problem. However that does seem a slightly selfish view of life. My OH would be in the high risk category and could well not survive it so my view may be a little different. I would guess that for most compromised/older people the risk of colds and sickness bugs is small in general life. CV19 won't be. In fact for some, without being over dramatic, they will be handed a death sentence or, if they were to survive, even greater problems.

I guess there are probably 2 groups of worried people on here (and elsewhere). Firstly those with someone in the household who is either old or vulnerable due to compromised health. Second those with aged parents/family. I am glad both my parents are dead as my dad had severe asthma and most certainly wouldn't survive C19. However many others must be seriously worried about parents especially if they live too far away to help or they have parents in care homes where it will take little for it to get totally out of control..

dorsetladette

Visit site

This report states that as of yesterday there are 115 confirmed cases in the UK. We have a population here of over 65 million. that to me does pose the question - how much of this is media speculation/sensationalising?

I'm not saying that any of us would potentially get very ill from it, but that could easily be said about the flu as well.

I do have options if I have to self isolate or am to ill to leave home. But worst case scenario I'll open all the fields up put a round bale in the field and fill all the water butts I own and hope for the best. Neighbours will keep an eye on the field/ponies.

Only scenario I can't cover is if one of them hurts themselves as I wouldn't able to meet the vet etc.

Pippity

Visit site
This report states that as of yesterday there are 115 confirmed cases in the UK. We have a population here of over 65 million. that to me does pose the question - how much of this is media speculation/sensationalising?

I've got a couple of friends who are microbiologists. With the various SARS and MERS, they've always said, sure, take sensible precautions, but there's no real need to worry. With this, they've said to worry.

Pippity

Visit site
Meanwhile, every microbiologist I know (and I'm at about a dozen at this point, including myself and ester) is saying that it's mostly media hype and not to worry too much. Biggest issues are protecting vulnerable people and the consequences for the economy.

That's reassuring, so thank you! (I'm still not visiting my Milan office any time soon.)

Nudibranch

Visit site
We live in isolation anyway - no neighbours within sight. The horses have a stream running through every field and we are on the verge of putting up tracks for spring so I really don't think feeding is an issue. Given nobody else uses the fields, I presume I could still walk the dog no problem in the unlikely event we are told to self isolate. (Anyway there's a chance both OH and I have already had it and the authorities weren't remotely interested, so I really don't think we are looking at armageddon type situations any time soon.)

The Trooper

Visit site
it is good to know in your world that you would only get mild symptoms and it would not be too much of a problem. However that does seem a slightly selfish view of life. My OH would be in the high risk category and could well not survive it so my view may be a little different. I would guess that for most compromised/older people the risk of colds and sickness bugs is small in general life. CV19 won't be. In fact for some, without being over dramatic, they will be handed a death sentence or, if they were to survive, even greater problems.

If I was in the high risk category I would be taking more steps than I am currently to be ready to self isolate (for how ever long it takes) if the virus makes it's way close enough to cause me to feel uneasy. I am concerned for my grand parents (naturally) and my advice to them will be to self isolate if and when the time comes that it is deemed necessary.

Evidently a lot of people disagree with what I am saying but I also think this thread is going off on a tangent somewhat. I don't imagine that by the time (newly infected) people are being advised to self isolate it is going to do much good anyway.

I believe China actually enforced isolation and it's spread like wildfire regardless.

The country will just need to weather this storm, there is nothing that can be done to stop it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I would have to go, but I rarely see anyone anyway so low risk
You need a plan. If you get infected, become too ill to be able leave your sickbed, you will not be able to tend to your horse. You need to start planning now for if that happened.

It doesn’t overly matter if the horse gets a bit fat or a bit thin if it is left for a few days or even weeks unattended out at grass, but it must have water.

JFTDWS

Visit site
That's reassuring, so thank you! (I'm still not visiting my Milan office any time soon.)

Honestly, the media have a lot to answer for in situations like this. Most people should no more need a plan for being incapacitated (as opposed to isolated) by this outbreak than they do in their normal day to day lives where they risk our endemic infectious diseases and, more significantly, the risks of accidental injury and incapacitation. It's very sensible to avoid unnecessary exposure, not least in the interests of protecting your own ability to work, and any vulnerable contacts (or contacts of contacts) you might have, but it's really not worth the level of fear being cultivated in the media, or in this thread.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I don't know. I just think its sensible to be prepared.

It worries me that most people do not seem to be taking the virus seriously and that may contribute to a very large, uncontained outbreak.

Maybe I wouldn't be taking it seriously either if I didn't have an underlying health issue. But honestly the thought of being in hospital struggling to breathe, and the possible outcome of that, terrifies me.

JFTDWS

Visit site
My comment about pets is given from the viewpoint of people becoming ill at home and believing that no one would come and take care of the pets.

I'm confused as to why they would need anyone to take care of their pets? The vast majority of cases have symptoms which are comparable to a cold, or, at worst, the flu. People don't routinely kick out their pets because they've contracted a minor illness. Obviously in the (rare) more serious presentations there may be issues about pet care during hospitalisation but I can't see it being a huge issue at this point.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I have at least one paranoid neighbour who has said she is opening her chicken runs so if she gets "struck down" her hens can have the garden. Her husband is very high risk as asthmatic, recovered heart attack victim and works in a crowded international office. She has not yet opened the rabbit run but has said that at the first symptom in the house will do so. This is someone who lives in quite an isolated location and knows that I am not the only neighbour who would look after her livestock. Fortunately she does not have a dog as allergic to them.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had flu one Christmas I could not get out of bed it took the energy for the morning to get to the bathroom and back .
if they had told me I was going to die I would have not been surprised I was seeing snakes coming through the ceiling all sort of things . I could not have properly cared for my pets or even improperly cared for them .I then developed pneumonia .
I have no trouble in believing people can become too sick to care for their pets at home .
Now I have some sort of a plan fo this which is to leave the doors open to the backyard and get some water buckets for the house .
I have several friends who would bail out the pets and I would bail out them in event of hospitalisation
its all an awful thought .

dorsetladette

Visit site
I have at least one paranoid neighbour who has said she is opening her chicken runs so if she gets "struck down" her hens can have the garden. Her husband is very high risk as asthmatic, recovered heart attack victim and works in a crowded international office. She has not yet opened the rabbit run but has said that at the first symptom in the house will do so. This is someone who lives in quite an isolated location and knows that I am not the only neighbour who would look after her livestock. Fortunately she does not have a dog as allergic to them.

It does seem a really odd thing to do.

My chickens have a feeder and a massive water feeder thingy. Water gets refilled weekly and the corn and layers pellets last several days. I'm pretty sure you could do something similar with the rabbit too.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Obviously in the (rare) more serious presentations there may be issues about pet care during hospitalisation but I can't see it being a huge issue at this point.
As one who has been prostrated by flu twice so much that I would have been utterly unable to care for any dependents, be they human or animal, I can see why someone who got sick home alone would set animals loose while they still could. There was absolutely no question of me being able to drag myself from my sickbed to tend to anything or anyone, I was far too unwell. I wished I was dead. This was just a routine flu bug.

I was nursed at home by my OH, who fortunately remained well. He took care of the then pre school children and all the animals, as I could not.

So best prepare.

Leo Walker

Visit site

That's overkill! With my chickens I'd fill up as many water containers as I could get, bowls and pans etc and then leave them where the rain would replenish them, and then I'd put all their food out. They'd cope!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Well as I live on my own, no partner or whatever, no family close within 2 hours and they are in the at risk group, it's me on my own. I have had flu properly about twice, I just laid in the bed and tried not to die. I lived at work for a few days, so one of the lads got me drugs and let the dog out (the second time, when I had a dog). That's why it's important for me to get a plan together. Most of time being so alone is what gets me through, if I don't do something it doesn't get done, but I am acutely aware that the same will happen if I can't get out of the house. My horse is my world so I am thinking of what to do. Getting a freelancer in wouldn't work for me as my horse is weird about strangers plus the freelancers round here I would not trust! When I go away I get a few friends to help. On the yard we will try to help each other.

JFTDWS

Visit site
So best prepare.

But, as with flu, Corona virus effects vary hugely between individuals and most people do not suffer anything like as badly as you have (which is rubbish for you, of course). I've had flu and still managed to attend to horses because it doesn't usually affect me that badly. Corona might, of course, but the risk of that is really very low for my (and most) demographic. I'm not saying one shouldn't take sensible precautions (I'm a huge advocate of sensible biosecurity at all times), but those sorts of basic precautions should be in place at all times in case of illness or accident and Corona virus doesn't hugely change the risk for the majority of healthy, young people in the UK.

dorsetladette

Visit site
My concern would be feed, bedding, hay etc. If the local suppliers were unwell or had to self quarantine, then I’d be in trouble.

You can always order online and get feed & bedding delivered. Hay wise, you can order haylage online as a short term solution if the farmer was self isolated. Or, a local hayman near us has an honesty box for the few people he trusts. Maybe you would have to go a few times and collect smaller quantities but its doable. if not, you'd just have to change suppliers for a couple of weeks.

eggs

Visit site
We were just talking about this yesterday. I keep my horses at home and a friend keeps hers with me. We both agreed that if one of us was struck down the other would do the horses and if we were both struck down the horses would just have to be turned out 24/7 - currently they are only out during the day. The grass is slowly coming through and I have self filling troughs in the fields. Ideally I would want hay putting out in the field but if that wasn't possible there is enough grass that the horses wouldn't starve although I don't relish the thought of poo picking after 6 large horses being out full time for a couple of weeks.

If you are told to self isolate then you should just jolly well do that and not sneak out when you think no-one else is around.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
I work in paediatric medicine and we have daily info from WHO, the Government and the NHS about Covid-19. So far I am taking the stance of Esther, JFTDWS et al and not worrying unduly. Based on the current statistics most people will not be infected, most of those who are infected will not be seriously ill, and most of the seriously ill will recover. Sadly there are some fatalities, as there are with seasonal 'flu (although I realise the vulnerable are usually vaccinated for that).

I take three different types of medication to suppress my immune system, and catch bugs constantly- I have already had four courses of antibiotics prescribed by the hospital this year. But as I live on my own and keep the horses on their own I have to keep going day-to-day even if I'm ill. I have a contingency plan for when I am hospitalised but otherwise it's all up to me. I always have to take great care washing hands and avoiding people with certain illnesses, and short of staying at home from now (and even then I may pick up germs if I have to have food delivered etc) there is nothing more I can do to avoid being infected. If infected then I would, of course, take steps to avoid passing it on. It has amazed me how many staff at work are now paranoid about catching C19, who are the same people who usually have to be reminded/told to wash their hands between seeing patients etc.

I am bemused that I regularly see children in supermarkets with a variety of contagious illness and their parents aren't bothered about protecting the vulnerable in society, but now everyone is panicking. I am more worried about the fact that many healthy people are more worried about catching a bug that is unlikely to prove serious/fatal to them than about protecting the vulnerable if it would cause them any inconvenience (not aimed at people on this forum).

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm in a high risk group but not too worried about my horse as he is on part livery at a yard and I can easily change it to full livery, provided all the staff don't get struck down in which case I suppose all the horses will just get turned out for the summer.
I'm not too happy about the risk to myself as I am older and with heart and lung trouble so I need to bring my will up to date and keep away from people as much as possible. At least my horse is a good lad who should be able to find a new home if the worst happens. I have a part time job at the moment that brings me into contact with people but if things get bad I will give it up. I live alone without close family so just hope I can keep away from any bugs.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My friend couldn't get hold of paracetamol the other day (not panic buying, she has a chronic condition)
No I wasn’t panic buying, although I may panic if I run out! I get awful headaches which turn into migraines if I don’t take them fast! ? can your friend get some prescribed maybe?