Implications on horse care. Coronavirus.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I think having a plan is sensible - better to be prepared and not need it than the other way round. Worse case scenario for me is if the YO and her family get it. They could stay in their houses and we would have to hope that one of the other three of us was well enough to do the horses. All of ours could live out but they would still need hay and water daily.

In terms of the dog, if OH and I were both struck down, she would probably eat us. However, I might start leaving a key somewhere in case we both get whisked off to hospital.

Goldenstar

Visit site
There’s a difference between panicking and a bit of forethought and planning so you don’t get struck down with one cat food pouch
I don’t get the stripping the shelves of shops thing but having enough things put by so that if you are isolated and not able to get out you are only relying on friends as little as possible .
For instance I don’t think there’s going to be no water coming out the taps .
becamuse they will just deploy the Armed forces who won’t all be sick at the same time .

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Prof Whitty, the Chief Medical Officer, is a guy who talks a lot of sense and can speak human. He says that the peak of an outbreak is expected in about 2 months, with 50% of cases over a three week period and 95% over a 9 week period.

It does all depend on the number of people affected and how bad their symptoms are, but it could be that a large amount of people are out of action at the same time, which will impact on folks’ contingency plans.

Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

Chianti

Visit site
We talked about this yesterday. This week I have another yard of 5 to do for 10 days, their owners are abroad.
Im the only proper member of staff other than the owners at work and have my own 5
I also have screwy lungs.
My more immediate issue is I can’t find paracetamol! Is that an actual thing or did I just get unlucky yesterday?!

People are panic buying- no loo rolls or cat litter in Sainsburys yesterday. Strange combination to be low on stock!

Goldenstar

Visit site
People are panic buying- no loo rolls or cat litter in Sainsburys yesterday. Strange combination to be low on stock!

its not really strange ,they are bulky items difficult to do without with an unlimited shelf life .
so if a bag of litter lasts a fortnight and you want contingency for a fortnight you buy an extra bag the supermarket knows about how many it will sell on any given day and stocks just in time not many people need to double up before it runs out .

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I wouldn't say people were panic buying around here. Morrisons was well stocked up with everything except paracetamol, which isn't surprising, although Lidl had plenty apparently.
There definitely wasn't a shortage of loo roll.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Tesco here was fine a couple of days ago, but somerset friend was finding otherwise so I do wonder if it is location based?!

Chianti

Visit site
its not really strange ,they are bulky items difficult to do without with an unlimited shelf life .
so if a bag of litter lasts a fortnight and you want contingency for a fortnight you buy an extra bag the supermarket knows about how many it will sell on any given day and stocks just in time not many people need to double up before it runs out .

I'm old enough to remember the salt shortage when I was a child- must have been the 1960s. There as a rumour - and this was long before social media - that there was a shortage of salt. The shelves were bare within a few days. People panic and buy anything that they think won't be on the shelves the next day. Lord knows what would happen if there really was a food shortage.

Abi90

Visit site
No
I wonder if it’s where there are confirmed cases

No confirmed cases in Lincolnshire and in every supermarket I’ve been in the shelves have been bare of toilet roll, all cleaning products, all tissues and all cold and flu products. The lady at the till said as soon as they stock up again they run out!

Abi90

Visit site
It’s slightly annoying as I actually do have a cold and could do with some tissues and cold and flu tablets! But there are none!

Reactions: TPO

paddy555

Visit site
I'm not saying one shouldn't take sensible precautions (I'm a huge advocate of sensible biosecurity at all times), but those sorts of basic precautions should be in place at all times in case of illness or accident and Corona virus doesn't hugely change the risk for the majority of healthy, young people in the UK.

I think you have to take into account that there are also a large number of older people and medically compromised ones of all ages as well. Seemingly from the comments quite a few on this forum.

If this situation is simply built up by media hype and not that serious then I am not sure why 2 GP practices have closed due to CV for 2 weeks in our area. That decision was presumably made by professionals not media hype.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think you have to take into account that there are also a large number of older people and medically compromised ones of all ages as well. Seemingly from the comments quite a few on this forum.

If this situation is simply built up by media hype and not that serious then I am not sure why 2 GP practices have closed due to CV for 2 weeks in our area. That decision was presumably made by professionals not media hype.

Well at no point have I said otherwise - indeed I have repeatedly said that one should practice good biosecurity to protect those who are at greater risk. What I dispute is that the average fit, healthy person should be worrying to any real extent about being incapacitated or hospitalised as a result of this outbreak.

PHE are trying to control the outbreak to limit the spread, and speed of the outbreak to protect those who are in need of protection, and to allow the maximum preparation time. This isn't because of risk to the majority of individuals, it's because of risk to compromised populations and - as much as anything - the economic consequences.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have given it a bit of thought. Being on a farm we could just turn out all the animals, cattle and my two - oh help what about laminitis?

I really don't think it is likely that the water or electricity will be cut off, this isn't On The Beach.

But as I've said on another thread, both OH and I would be high risk, so if it all gets too close to home I will have a discussion about things with my children and probably put in an extra note with our Wills.

maya2008

Visit site
Horses live out. Need feed and haylage. Plan is to bring all stuff home except feed (that can go up by the field) if it gets to our area as there is someone vulnerable at the yard and you can spread it before you know you have it. We can get to the horses without being near any humans. If ill, friend would feed for me, or could pay a local groom. Lots in our area. Phone, arrange, pay online.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
My local Asda has run out of soap and Lidl hasnt any toilet roll. Did people not wash their hands until this outbreak. There are no confirmed cases near me.

I was wondering why they suddenly need so much soap, as if they'd never used it before. A bar of soap lasts for ages.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I am on DIY . I have been to feed merchant today and have stocked up so I have a few week's worth of feed. I will write out a note of what pony has just in case. Probably sensible that we all do that so that if anyone had to self isolate we could help each other out.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Panic much?
Please stop causing panic. We'll be ok. Be alert & careful, but stop causing everyone to shit themselves so much there's no loo roll.
My husband has a serious chest injury (if you know me on FB you'll know how bad) & he now has COPD.
Stop panicking. It does no one any favours.

I agree panicking does no good. But There are cases in my area now and daughter has a friend in self isolation. I think it is inevitable it will mean more people having to self isolate.