Implications on horse care. Coronavirus.

Cloball

Visit site
This is not Norovirus which is a mild condition .
This will kill the parents and grandparents of the other livery’s in a worse case scenario .
Don‘t bury your head in the sand plan now .
what if you get the virus and where hospitalised you need a plan .

I'm happy to check people's horses if they have no one else and are nearbyish and people are desperate.

Norovirus is not mild and has a higher death rate than covid19 at this present time and data. It is just comparatively easier to contain.

Winters100

Visit site
What were your plans if you were badly injured and unconscious for days or weeks after a car crash?

Isn’t yours the livery yard that won’t water the horses when they are turned out?

Yes, you are correct, they will not put water to the paddocks. But I will always find a solution if I need one. You ask what if I was unconscious after a car crash. In this event my friend has charge of my horses, and vice versa if something happened to her. I always keep 3 large containers full which is enough for at least 3 days, so in the case of a sudden emergency they would be ok. In the case of Covid-19 I don't really think it is possible to effectively plan exactly what would happen, other than to have a good network of people who would help if necessary. Some yards around us are even closing up and not allowing access to owners. For me that would be a big issue, I don't think our yard will close, but in this case I would have to manage things. Probably I would just pay the groom extra to give the water and try to insist upon a photo each day. As long as other liveries can go I should be OK, we are like family there, and I do a lot to help others as I am always there early morning, so I would not have a problem asking for help if I need it. Due to the work of OH I am highly likely to get infected at some point, so if this happens I will be asking others to manage things for me - I think that during such times everyone is willing to help so I am sure that our horses will all be ok.

canteron

Visit site
My mum and my eldest daughter both have it. ☹

Make no mistake, their are thousands of cases currently in the UK. The official numbers are artificially low as their is very little testing happening.
Sorry to hear this - we are all going to risk exposure. On a more personal basis are they completely flattened by the virus - or would they have the capacity to look after horses (if they have any!). I know everyone reacts differently but I can’t quite work out the risk from the media.
Hopefully they will be back to fighting form soon.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Sorry to hear this - we are all going to risk exposure. On a more personal basis are they completely flattened by the virus - or would they have the capacity to look after horses (if they have any!). I know everyone reacts differently but I can’t quite work out the risk from the media.
Hopefully they will be back to fighting form soon.

Mum had difficulty breathing and chest pains whenever she went outside. She was also very tired all the time, so I would say for a week at least she wouldn't have been able to care for a horse.

Daughter had the cough but not the breathing difficulties. However, she has more of a fever and headache than my mum and stayed in bed for 2 days. She's recovering much more quickly than my mum. So I would say she wouldn't have been able to do horses for 3 days and after that, maybe the bare minimum for another couple of days.

It seems to be that everyone has the same symptoms but to varying degrees depending on age and fitness/wellness.

canteron

Visit site
Mum had difficulty breathing and chest pains whenever she went outside. She was also very tired all the time, so I would say for a week at least she wouldn't have been able to care for a horse.

Daughter had the cough but not the breathing difficulties. However, she has more of a fever and headache than my mum and stayed in bed for 2 days. She's recovering much more quickly than my mum. So I would say she wouldn't have been able to do horses for 3 days and after that, maybe the bare minimum for another couple of days.

It seems to be that everyone has the same symptoms but to varying degrees depending on age and fitness/wellness.
Thank you so much for that - I have a horse on box rest who needs quite intensive care so I really appreciate this information!
I think my best bet is not to get it for at least a couple of months ?

Tardebigge

Visit site
I had the flu many years ago. I also had 2 horses at the time and worked on a local yard. It was the only time in my life I was too ill even to do my own horses, which were kept at home, because, for a few days at the worst of it, every time I stood up I passed out. I had never felt so ill in my life, and I've had everything going over the years including measles (I'm old enough to be pre vaccinations). If this illness can be as bad as that for some people (not all, I know), don't count on even being able to get out of bed, let alone do anything else.
Luckily for me, someone came down from the yard were I worked and did the minimum necessary to keep my animals happy. It was the helpless feeling that was so awful though.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This.

The MP Nadine Dorries (who wrote about her experience in yesterday’s Sunday Times) contracted coronavirus from an unknown source. She is a fit 62 year old with no pre existing health conditions. She felt very ill but stayed at home in bed for a few days. Her elderly (80 something) mother who was staying with her, who has a stack of health issues and is a smoker, went on to get coronavirus, but was much less ill than her daughter, was ill for a day and was busy hoovering round her daughter’s chair as the daughter was still recovering.

It’s seemingly somewhat random who cops it badly.

Last edited:

Myloubylou

Visit site
I am lucky my horse is on part livery so plan to go to ride in non peak times . We have a rota for staggered visits to minimise contact. We have paper towels for hand washing at the yard which burns my eco sensibilities but being cautious. We are writing up the horses feed & hay requirements for each horse so if someone suddenly has to self isolate then someone else can do. Back up plan is to turn out 24/7, only those with medical issues need a feed for the bute etc

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had the flu many years ago. I also had 2 horses at the time and worked on a local yard. It was the only time in my life I was too ill even to do my own horses, which were kept at home, because, for a few days at the worst of it, every time I stood up I passed out. I had never felt so ill in my life, and I've had everything going over the years including measles (I'm old enough to be pre vaccinations). If this illness can be as bad as that for some people (not all, I know), don't count on even being able to get out of bed, let alone do anything else.
Luckily for me, someone came down from the yard were I worked and did the minimum necessary to keep my animals happy. It was the helpless feeling that was so awful though.
I was the same, flu knocked me off my feet for a week, I couldn't make it out of the front door. I dread another bug like that. Fortunately my stabled horses are on a yard that can provide services and the others are just down the road, OH could tractor a couple of big bales in for them and they can be pretty self sufficient.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I have a hospital appointment with the cardiologist next month but I really don't want to go near the hospital so I will be postponing it. I also need to see the doctor at some point about another issue but really don't want to go near the surgery.
If it gets so I can't leave the house at least I can dig deep into my bank account for full livery or hopefully it things will dry up enough he can live out.

Gloi

Visit site
I was the same, flu knocked me off my feet for a week, I couldn't make it out of the front door. I dread another bug like that. Fortunately my stabled horses are on a yard that can provide services and the others are just down the road, OH could tractor a couple of big bales in for them and they can be pretty self sufficient.
I had a bad dose of flu, gosh nearly 40 years ago now. I was taken ill on Saturday evening, went home to bed and the next thing I knew it was Tuesday. I'd been delirious with fever and ended up being off work for 3 weeks and it took me a lot longer than that to get my strength back. It convinced me always to get my flu jab.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had a bad dose of flu, gosh nearly 40 years ago now. I was taken ill on Saturday evening, went home to bed and the next thing I knew it was Tuesday. I'd been delirious with fever and ended up being off work for 3 weeks and it took me a lot longer than that to get my strength back. It convinced me always to get my flu jab.
it's amazing how a relatively common thing like that can really knock you for six. When I emerged from the house my car had been broken in to. I was completely out of it!

Joinedforthis

New User
Visit site
I'm starting to worry. I'm hoping looking after livestock classes as essential. I came onto the forum looking for an answer to this as I can't find any information.
My son lives in a country where there is full lockdown, and police are on the streets making sure people are only outside if absolutely necessary (essential work, grocery shopping, emergencies)
I understand that caring for vulnerable people is allowed.
I get the impression that you don't argue!

Gloi

Visit site
it's amazing how a relatively common thing like that can really knock you for six. When I emerged from the house my car had been broken in to. I was completely out of it!
I'm glad I still lived with my family back then, there's no way I could have looked after myself for a while.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm starting to worry. I'm hoping looking after livestock classes as essential. I came onto the forum looking for an answer to this as I can't find any information.
My son lives in a country where there is full lockdown, and police are on the streets making sure people are only outside if absolutely necessary (essential work, grocery shopping, emergencies)
I understand that caring for vulnerable people is allowed.
I get the impression that you don't argue!

My sister in law lives in Lanzarote and she says they have police going round regularly telling them to get indoors and threatening to fine them if they don't comply.

SEL

Visit site
I have a hospital appointment with the cardiologist next month but I really don't want to go near the hospital so I will be postponing it. I also need to see the doctor at some point about another issue but really don't want to go near the surgery.
If it gets so I can't leave the house at least I can dig deep into my bank account for full livery or hopefully it things will dry up enough he can live out.

They might postpone it - my routine blood tests have been postponed because the staff have been told to stand down any non-essential lab work.

I'm also hoping this week dries the fields up so if all of us on the yard are ill at the same time we can chuck the horses out!

JFTDWS

Visit site
It’s seemingly somewhat random who cops it badly.

That's a bit like saying that lung cancer is random, because sometimes non-smokers die of lung cancer and a smoker will sometimes live to be 105 and die of something else... It's not random, but there is some natural variation in who is affected more badly. Older and immuno-compromised are more likely to suffer more severely - it is not random, but it's also not absolute. Sorry, I appreciate that's a bit pedantic, but it really isn't random.

I'm quite uncomfortable with the idea of police on the streets threatening people not to leave their homes...

JFTDWS

Visit site
Yes, but my point is it isn't random, seemingly or otherwise. It's very much not random in any sense - there is a huge bias in the demographics of those affected.

That said, as you say, it's not a given. Everything is about likelihood, not certainty. No matter how many predisposing factors one might have, there is never any absolute certainty in outcomes, with any disease.

Reactions: SEL

JFTDWS

Visit site
To be fair, I'm pretty sure I said that, right at the start of the thread. The risk to individuals is low. It's higher if you have risk factors, but still a very, very long way from certain death. The biggest risks right now are to the economy, and to the vulnerable as a population...

maya2008

Visit site
The police on the streets thing might be because people were ignoring advice otherwise. I know people in less militant ‘lockdown’ countries who are still taking their kids to the park, driving across borders to access the shops, going out and about generally....

canteron

Visit site
To be fair, I'm pretty sure I said that, right at the start of the thread. The risk to individuals is low. It's higher if you have risk factors, but still a very, very long way from certain death. The biggest risks right now are to the economy, and to the vulnerable as a population...
I’m not worried about the risk to me - but I have a horse with a large wound on box rest which needs quite intensive care. I was looking to understand how likely I am not to be able, with the best will in the world, to care for her due to a fever. The rest of the horses can hang in the field and be fine - I have back up plans but don’t totally trust people not to be flaky!!
I am sure lots of other people have similar human and four legged obligations and worries too ☹️

JFTDWS

Visit site
I’m not worried about the risk to me - but I have a horse with a large wound on box rest which needs quite intensive care. I was looking to understand how likely I am not to be able, with the best will in the world, to care for her due to a fever. The rest of the horses can hang in the field and be fine - I have back up plans but don’t totally trust people not to be flaky!!
I am sure lots of other people have similar human and four legged obligations and worries too ☹️

Of course. Which is why it's really important that people keep things in perspective and don't presume that this virus is worse than it is. It's good to have a sensible plan in mind - whether or not there's a current outbreak of a novel virus - when you have dependents who rely on you being able to look after them. It's not good to worry about it beyond the point of having a sensible back up plan. The chances are you won't need it, and if you do, it's unlikely to last longer than a couple of days, and even a flaky freelancer should be able to avoid serious damage to a horse in that sort of time frame. Making the virus out to be inevitably serious (as in some posts on this thread) or random in who suffers isn't very helpful in terms of keeping this perspective.

What I'm saying is, try not to worry too much :)