In an emercgency-how many of you can remove a shoe??

kick_On

Visit site
just asking ....
As yet again this morning had to remove a shoe from a horse, as it had stepped onto side of shoe and twisted shoe, so shoe was dug into side wall.
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

Out pops tools just in case, 10mins later horse minus front shoe and hoof too bad. Worst bit was, phone call to mate to let her know what her daft horse had done in stable and she needs her farrier out
Good deed of day done
smirk.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
No - I can't. It's on my 'to do list' to learn the Christmas. It's a real worry for me and I should be able to do it.

airedale

Visit site
can do but all yards should have the basic tools, buffer, hammer, clenchers, etc.

got my own set years ago when I ended up having to remove a shoe from my then horse with pliers, small hammer and screwdriver - after lots of bruises on hands !! - got set of tools which are to hand in feed room.

only thing I hate about doing it is the backache afterwards - make you realise how hard the farriers work

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Also did it in my stages, although I felt sure it was earlier than stage 3?

Anyway, Im sure I still could in a push although our YO is pretty damn nifty with feet so it's more likely she'd whip it off before anyone got near.

On another note... I have great memories of learning to remove shoes with another friend who was doing her stages at the same time... those farriers make it look so damn easy but we most have spent a good week or more in fits of giggles with said shoes not budging an inch :p

hollyzippo

Visit site
I can and have to quite often! Dont think farrier would be impressed tho- main combs arent usual practice for knocking clenches up, neither is a household hammer. Good job horse stands still!
Must get tools next year if horses ability to retain shoes doesnt improve!!
blush.gif

SSM

Visit site
My old farrier - before lots of you were born
shocked.gif
used to throw the tools at me 'git them shoes off lass' and taught me how to take my ponies shoes off!!!!!!!!! (think I could still do it now, although Donkey does quite well on her own!!)

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
There always masses of people on site who can remove a shoe for me if need be and I have been known to pull shoes off and remove them using things that I have lying around.

Enfys

Visit site
Yes I can, like SSM my farrier taught me when I was much younger.
I was the only one on the yard with the right tools and was always being asked to lend them out.
I think it's something everyone should learn to do, farriers are generally happy to show you how to do it.
Tools are easily available and relatively inexpensive (we aren't talking the bona fide farrier quality ones here) I think mine came from Robinsons, they do the job adequately.

kick_On

Visit site
i'm justing asking, as i've been caught out before with no tools and it took nearly an hour to get a shoe off, with just srewdriver and stone
blush.gif
blush.gif

So got lesson with farrier and got somer proper tools, really does make job easier
BUT i now know that my farrier earns his money big time

ps Folks keep changing their names arrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... i'm blonde and confuse very easliy -
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
seasonal i know
grin.gif

Visit site
Bl***y good question - can just about if need to with a chisel, pincers and hammer - must get some tools. Do not think i could take a shoe off that was on properly though - does that make sense - need a gap to get the tools in.

RobinHood

Visit site
I had to do it for my pony club A test care, although it would take me a while to get one of if it was still firmly on (not sure if that makes sense!). My friend's brother is at farrier school though so that's going to be pretty handy
laugh.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
My YO can and a girl who works full time there can as she did her stage 3. Pickle though *touch wood* has never lost a shoe since I have had him (nearly 2 years)

Weezy

Visit site
Yes I can but need the tools (well never tried without!) - used to have all the horses shoes off ready for the farrier in Spain so he could just get on wth it! He also taught me how to file and tdy up cracks and splits - He also used to make me trim if he was pressed for time but I wouldnt do that anymore without guidance as am a bit worried about screwing up now as its been 9 years since I did it regularly!

teapot

Visit site
Might have changed though - but it was definately on the to do list when I was training (just never got round to doing it)

luane1

Visit site
Yes if I have to I will but again like you have said I need the tools. I do think it is a very useful thing to be able to do so as they dont hurt themselves with the nails digging in etc. when a shoe is half off.

ljubb

Visit site
I have had to do it many a time - it amazes me how few people can though.

My worst experience was when hacking out a freak thunder and lightning storm started causing my mare to spook and step on her shoe and twist it.

Pulled into the Lorry distribution centre that I happend to be by and raided their tool kit.

One of the guys held her whilst I did it and the others looked at my butt!!

Tia

Visit site
Yes of course I do. I'm surprised so many don't though. Surely this is a rudimentary skill of horse ownership?

Clodagh

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
One of the guys held her whilst I did it and the others looked at my butt!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, livened up their day!
tongue.gif

I can do it, but it was a bodge job. Reminds me, must learn properly.
crazy.gif