In-hand showing outfits.....Why so frumpy and 80s??!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I love my Granny Suits! I have various incarnations of them! Though I did swop the skirt of one. Its a lovely navy blue with a yellow tartan band round the cuff of the jacket and band of the hat but have a band of it round the bottom of the skirt is where I drew the line so I subbed in my trusty navy wool skirt which i think looks so much nicer!

At least the fashion for Pink tweed in lead rein died out VERY quickly! That was hideous!

This is the one I used most recently. You can see why the yellow tartan round the bottom would be WAY too much!
10374435_10152513509305421_8975943837731449412_n.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way but I looked at that photo, instantly saw princess Diana's face instead of yours and was definitely back in the 80s.

humblepie

Visit site
I love showing being traditional. More than happy to sweat it out in my jacket etc. Love that stewards wear bowlers or are dressed for a Royal garden party.

Visit site
Same! I think it looks very smart and 1920s!

I only have to put a few jay clothes on the inside of this hat to make it fit my stupid small head 😂😂😂 a previous incarnation I had a jodpur clip on the inside keeping it on 😂😂😂 that wasn't fun by the end of an hour and a half in the ring 😂😂😂

Sandstone1

Visit site
Me too, cannot believe how easily offended folk are, makes me wonder how they cope with daily life. (puts on tin hat)
its not a case of being easily offended. Ageism is really not on and needs stopping. If a racist or sexist remark is made its immediately jumped on but ageism is a joke?

Chippers1

Visit site
I find hairnets the most unpleasant, personally. I refuse to wear one, county level or not. I am perfectly capable of making a neat bun without one 🙄
I hate hair nets with a passion, mainly because tidying all my hair away makes my ears stick out 😅 also perfectly capable of tying my hair into a bun!

luckyoldme

Visit site
Me too, cannot believe how easily offended folk are, makes me wonder how they cope with daily life. (puts on tin hat)
I'm far from easily offended. I drive a 44 tonne truck for a living and ride downhill mtb for a hobby. What I'm fed up with is being called an ist at ever twist and turn. Its not ok to call some twisty little feckless twat a snowflake you cant state openly that its someones own fault if they eat so much they cant walk. You cant question the wisdom of folk for actually putting foreign bodies surgically into there bodies so that they can have a fat arse. But it's ok to class someone as frumpy because they are past menopause.( I'm not currently past menopause myself)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
its not a case of being easily offended. Ageism is really not on and needs stopping. If a racist or sexist remark is made its immediately jumped on but ageism is a joke?

I do agree-there was an insinuation that being post-menopausal automatically means frumpy and unattractive. It'll come to all of you women at some point, lets see how you like it (and the actual menopause which frankly, can completely change you from the person you were and make you feel wretched-at least temporarily).

The-Bookworm

Visit site
I actually like tweed so there! :p
But you can show in smart trousers and a waistcoat, the emphasis being on the smart.
If you are showing natives then correct is tweed the same as for ridden.
If you can make a bun without the net then do it, surely it's just a guideline.
Scrunchies haven't gone out of fashion they still make them, but I have seen it suggested they are not for the show ring. I think I had some sort of bow and net which is possibly worse!!! But was local level.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Haha, but so true...

ETA Didn’t it once came up on HHO that if you were stewarding for a County level showing class (and are female) you would be expected to wear a skirt? Pfft to that.

Perfectly true, I steward at the National Pony Show, our instructions are to be smart & wear a hat, TBH one of the ladies who stewards dresses in what looks like a man's suit but he rest of us are generally in dresses/skirts. The hats normally go if it is particularly windy and if wet then its long macs & wellies. Actually if it is hot then a hat is very useful as you are out in the sun all day from 8am to 7pm. My question to you is what would you wear if not 'ladies' clothes? Riding clothes would not be appropriate for stewarding, nor would jeans.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

Some people don't cope with daily life. Some people are trying to get through very real personal issues with the help of mental health professions. Some people are suicidal. Some people have been worn down by 'ist' comments from strangers on the street. Some people need to take medication to try to ease their depression.

What I wish is that people could just be a little bit kinder, just have a little bit more empathy. It doesn't cost anyone anything, so why is it so hard?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Perfectly true, I steward at the National Pony Show, our instructions are to be smart & wear a hat, TBH one of the ladies who stewards dresses in what looks like a man's suit but he rest of us are generally in dresses/skirts. The hats normally go if it is particularly windy and if wet then its long macs & wellies. Actually if it is hot then a hat is very useful as you are out in the sun all day from 8am to 7pm. My question to you is what would you wear if not 'ladies' clothes? Riding clothes would not be appropriate for stewarding, nor would jeans.

The same thing the blokes do?!

WandaMare

Visit site
I think equestrian sports would be seen as more accessible if some of the outfits were toned down a bit and modernised. Maybe they could introduce more modern clothing for the main competitions, but still have specific traditional turnout classes so that people who like that side of things could still keep the traditions going.

I would really like to see some modern competition outfits generally for equestrians, especially in competitions like the Olympics where a more diverse audience is watching. I think the competitors would be recognised more as sports people and part of the wider team rather than the elite horsey set.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I don't get ageism being a thing though?
I am a old as I am end of.

Exactly this The Bookworm 🙂

I don't appreciate being compared to a racist or sexist because I found a light hearted comment funny Sandstone tbh.

Maybe I'm just lucky because I can't think of a time I have personally experienced "ageism" or heard it directed towards others either.

I am 56 - have friends who are 20 & 30 years younger than me and friends who are 20 and 30 years older.

My dear mum passed away at the age of 90 and always said she felt 18 inside.

Also have experienced MH issues for 40 years myself (& now sadly my son).

Am ever thankful for family dogs horses and friends of all ages.

Last edited:

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
For me its not really about -isms, I just see making a joke about anything that's very personal about someone as unkind. Its probably not intended to hurt anyone but if someone hears / reads it who is feeling vulnerable and gets upset or feels put down by it, then that's one person too many imo.

I think (hope) we'd all agree with this.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Exactly this The Bookworm 🙂

I don't appreciate being compared to a racist or sexist because I found a light hearted comment funny Sandstone tbh.

Maybe I'm just lucky because I can't think of a time I have personally experienced "ageism" or heard it directed towards others either.

I am 56 - have friends who are 20 & 30 years younger than me and friends who are 20 and 30 years older.

My dear mum passed away at the age of 90 and always said she felt 18 inside.

Also have experienced MH issues for 40 years myself (& now sadly my son).

Am ever thankful for family dogs horses and friends of all ages.
And I dont find a physical and natural process that all women go through something to make fun of.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Showing attire definitely needs to be modernised.

Although we love a bit of a tradition in the UK, I do think the insistence on tweed feels a bit elitist in that it's expensive and conjures up images of country estates and shooting parties.

To get kitted out even for a local show can cost an arm and a leg and not really worth it if you only want to do best mane and tail! 😄

For me it makes showing feel inaccessible to peasants such as myself, although i suppose you could apply that to all equestrian sports.

Handlers in Welsh cob classes seem to buck the trend for tweed though. I've even seen someone in white shirt, white jeans and pink waistcoat and actually I thought she looked really smart.

Berpisc

Visit site
Showing attire definitely needs to be modernised.

Although we love a bit of a tradition in the UK, I do think the insistence on tweed feels a bit elitist in that it's expensive and conjures up images of country estates and shooting parties.

To get kitted out even for a local show can cost an arm and a leg and not really worth it if you only want to do best mane and tail! 😄

For me it makes showing feel inaccessible to peasants such as myself, although i suppose you could apply that to all equestrian sports.

Handlers in Welsh cob classes seem to buck the trend for tweed though. I've even seen someone in white shirt, white jeans and pink waistcoat and actually I thought she looked really smart.
An old friend of mine doing lead rein (it was at local level) used to raid charity shops for lead rein outfits. As they weren't doing it too seriously, they got some smart outfits without costing too much.
I used to show welsh cobs back in the dark ages, just wore siutable footwear to run in, tidy trousers white shirt and waistcoat. As has been mentioned before, the best bet is to wear what will let your horse be the focus without you standing out in a good or bad way.
I have to say EKW's outfit above would liven things up :D:D

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
And I dont find a physical and natural process that all women go through something to make fun of.

Having been through that process fully and with a serious degree of discomfort and pain requiring surgery, I feel perfectly OK that I laughed in this instance.

The comment was not directed at one person.

You are not the menopause police.