In or out in the snow?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
We are at the top of a hill, we have a few foot of snow and its still coming down heavy. The snow was over my geldings knees and nearly over my wellies outside their field. I put mine out for 30 minutes while I mucked out, they had a roll and some fun.. then they were more than happy to come back in to clean warm stables with fresh haylage and a treat ball.

If I left them out i'd of had to give them some haylage, do feel bad on horses turned out 24/7 in deep snow with no forage.
What about yours? :)

Last edited:

PoniesRock

Visit site
Mine are in. Expect they would be happy out looking for grass under the snow and playing.
But I’m paranoid.... stressed grass is heavily linked to colic and lami, esp for horses who don’t actually live out.

Regandal

Visit site
Not as deep as that, but my 2 don’t mind the snow. They roll and dig then go back to their hay. Bring them in at night when it’s heavy though.

Nasicus

Visit site
Out with lots of hay to keep them going. They're prefer to be in, but can't really risk them being stuck in their stables if noone was able to actually get up to sort them (private yard, just me and a friend).

ihatework

Visit site
I think it would depend on the field and the horse.

If I had hairy native types I’d be doing my best to leave them out.

I don’t, I have sporty types both currently on FL so they fit in with the respective yard routines. I expect the giant carthorse won’t go out, or if he does it will be for an hour assuming he is sensible. They do however have an indoor horsewalker.
The young one being back, I expect he will stay in the routine of our at night/in during day but I’d be fine if he was left in too.

Denbob

Visit site
If mine was allowed out he would be for a few hours while I muck out/get him sorted - he went out last year and absolutely loved it!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine have gone out today it’s more about whether I can get them to the field safely without slipping. We have to cross a tarmaced Yard and across a lane to my current fields. Today i used a snow shovel and some salt as where vehicles had gone over the snow it was compacted and slippery.

ip6R7zK.jpg

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I think it would depend on the field and the horse.

If I had hairy native types I’d be doing my best to leave them out.

I don’t, I have sporty types both currently on FL so they fit in with the respective yard routines. I expect the giant carthorse won’t go out, or if he does it will be for an hour assuming he is sensible. They do however have an indoor horsewalker.
The young one being back, I expect he will stay in the routine of our at night/in during day but I’d be fine if he was left in too.

:D Both of mine are natives, a welsh D and a cob, complete wusses! Then again they're both clipped out, the Welsh is a bit of a drama queen. I must treat them to well, I've never had a hardy horse!

The Trooper

Visit site
If we get any, Belle will be out, with hay. Bonnie will be out with Belle, and in at night. If i can get up ofcourse, if not I will need to adapt accordingly. Bonnie will not be staying out no matter what however.

Bernster

Visit site
I don’t mind them being out. I think they are hardier than we give them credit for. But livery yard is keeping them in today. My mare is out though and I am confident she’s fine as she’s in aus’ capable hands.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
2 of mine out 24/7 (in smaller diet paddock overnight) and the other 2 in at night.

All lobbed out just after 7 this morning in fields with almost 2 inches of snow cover. Tinies and L Fuzzy ecstatic at having hay, B Fuzzy angry as I shut off the top fields last night, so ground to a sliding stop rather than jump the closed gate lol. Left her and L Fuzzy squabbling quietly over the 5 hay piles for the 2 of them
Will move them back to overnight places before dark.

SEL

Visit site
2 of mine out 24/7 (in smaller diet paddock overnight) and the other 2 in at night.

All lobbed out just after 7 this morning in fields with almost 2 inches of snow cover. Tinies and L Fuzzy ecstatic at having hay, B Fuzzy angry as I shut off the top fields last night, so ground to a sliding stop rather than jump the closed gate lol. Left her and L Fuzzy squabbling quietly over the 5 hay piles for the 2 of them
Will move them back to overnight places before dark.

My two were pleasantly surprised to see piles of hay as well - there's plenty of grass in their field but its quite a covering so I took pity on them!

eggs

Visit site
Put them all out this morning - they have some haylage every morning before they are turned out in winter. We only have a couple of inches of snow so I haven't hayed up in the field as they can snuffle though it to the grass. I will get them in early though.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Mine are in today as DP had colic last night. I have walked him out in hand though and the first thing he did was try to eat the snow and then dig for frozen grass. Not a good combination post colic so he was quickly deposited back inside. Normally they would both be out whatever the weather.

monte1

Visit site
Mine is fully clipped, rugged accordingly and can stay out 24/7 unless weather is horrid and wet, i was expecting the snow so he came in last night and I turned out 06.30 this morning, seemed happy and had a good romp about and roll in the snow, I put hay out in the field but he prefers to dig out and eat the grass instead - i will bring in about 4pm i expect.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Mine are normally out 24/7, but they came in last night, and I have kept them in today. The snow pulls the electric fencing lines down very low which is dangerous, and if I turn them out, they will either hoon around the field risking injury, or stomp about round the gateways wanting to come back in again.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the oldies were out overnight and they stay out. I've just been to chuck some more hay and they are warm as toast happily pottering about. all good.

the ridden ones were in overnight and I have left it up to YO to decide whether they go out or not, I said if there was a light dusting then fine but not if it was slippery and haven't heard back what the decision was! Kira loves rolling in the snow but I am a party pooper and don't like them playing in it :(

scats

Visit site
Provided I can get them there safely, out. They’ve been out all week with hay and have been as happy as Larry. I tend to give more hay than they really need and that way I know they will just munch and not charge about too much. Millie will go off and try and pick for grass in the end, but having hay in her belly seems to keep her quiet.

oldie48

Visit site
Rose and the new mare went out first thing this morning. We've had a little snow but they are ignoring the haylage that was put out and prefer to scrabble around for grass. It's thawed a bit but the arena is still frozen and I am desperate to ride as due to circumstances beyond my control, Rose has now been off for a week.