In so much pain :(

teamsarazara

Visit site
Hadn't ridden since before Christmas and have ridden 3 every day since Tuesday and now I am in so much pain that I'm struggling to stand up. Really sore at the top of my inner thigh, think I may have pulled the muscle. Really wish I had a bath in my house!! Taken some ibuprofen and it hasn't helped, put some muscle rub on too. Dreading getting up of the sofa! Anyone got any tips as have got to ride again tomorow ouch

indie999

Visit site
Pain killers as you have done and make sure you try to do some warm up stretches before you ride.

I remember after a long break starting riding and the pain barrier!! The instructor was right and told me to come back after a couple of days to just sit on a horse for a few minutes.

If you are going for it you will just have to go for it I suppose. But I think I would rather take a couple of days just to ease off a bit. The only thing is it will get easier. My knees burning are what normally kills me! Good luck.

mynutmeg

Visit site
You can get heat pads or else use hot water bottles to ease the muscle pain. A hot shower will work as well as a hot bath would.
Use paracetamol as well as ibuprofen.

Unfortunately beyond that it is a case of suck it up :(
Ideally a slightly more gentle introduction back into riding would have been better but work is work.

doriangrey

Visit site
Poor you :( Please google cleavers or goosegrass. It is a natural anti-inflammatory. I promise I'm not a tree-hugger :rolleyes:. A couple of years ago my husband had such bad tendonitis and despite prescription medication he was at the end of his tether, to the point of despair for a man. I had read something somewhere as horses eating it naturally as an anti-inflammatory and when I googled it I was amazed. I crushed it and made an infusion and he found immediate relief, it took a few days for it to clear up but it did work. It's that annoying weed that sticks to you and leaves little balls on your socks! Don't mistake it with woodruff, that's dangerous. I can only ask you to try it, but it really did work for him. I hope you feel better anyway :)

LynH

Visit site
I haven't ridden since Xmas until 4 times last month then 3 days in a row this week. This week I was working on getting a non-hacker hacking alone so rode in my VSD saddle which is nowhere near as comfortable as my dressage saddle. My butt bones were agony the next day so I've invested in a gel seat saver to help make the whole return to work process a bit easier on my body ;0)

teamsarazara

Visit site
Sat with a water bottle between my legs lol :) I will look into that... Only other thing I have in house is devils claw tablets but not sure if they'd work for this??

mynutmeg

Visit site
Sat with a water bottle between my legs lol :) I will look into that... Only other thing I have in house is devils claw tablets but not sure if they'd work for this??

They are an anti-inflammatory but don't take those as well as ibuprofen as they act in a similar way so could be a risk of overdosing.

teamsarazara

Visit site
I think it may be a groin strain. As I don't think I've ever been in so much pain with sore muscles before! I think I'd be fine if I was just going for a hack but it's intense flatwork on really fit horses for about 45 minutes each horse!

mandwhy

Visit site
Hot water bottle wedged between the legs is the best! I also try to stretch the affected area and then massage the muscle fairly firmly whilst stretching lightly, it hurts pretty bad but does make a difference! It'll get better!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I recommend a massage as soon as you can bear it it's very painful try massaging it yourself that helped me , best done alone it does not look good .
It was a sports masseuse that sorted mine in the end I did not rest it long enough and kept ridding as soon as it half settled .

zoelouisem

Visit site
I was like this after i went back to work with horses after maternity leave from having my daughter, i had nearly a year off.
The pain was so bad i thought iwas going to cry walking, by the evening i could barely put one foot in front of the other, and still had a baby to care for.
It will start to ease off, i think the first week i struggled and then it started to get easier. I thought id done something at first but it was where my muscles hadnt done anything like it in months!!

teamsarazara

Visit site
It's only been 4 months, so didnt think my muscles would change so much. Going to try and massage it although dont really know what I'm doing!

mynutmeg

Visit site
It's only been 4 months, so didnt think my muscles would change so much. Going to try and massage it although dont really know what I'm doing!

It's amazing how quickly you loose muscle - I've been in cast/non-weight bearing because of surgery and within a couple of weeks my affected leg was half the size of the other. Extreme example but you loose muscle you don't use very quickly

juliette

Visit site
When you ride for the next few weeks you need to stretch before and after you ride. This will make an enormous difference, when i came back to riding on the odd occassion i forgot to stretch i really paid the price. I did look a bit odd at the riding school, but worth it to be pain free

Rose Folly

Visit site
Bit late for it tonight, but scrounge a long session in a friend's bath tomorrow. Then Voltarol or Ibuprofen, and a hot bottle behind your lower back if you have a chance to sit quietly at any time. Poor you!

teamsarazara

Visit site
Just had my second hot shower of the night and feeling slightly better, now bed time. Dreading how stiff/sore I am going to be in the morning. I don't normally moan but I am feeling very sorry for myself atm!

hoggedmane

Visit site
Lots of stretches - side to side ones for the top of your inner thighs. We all got like this on a riding course once and one of the girls was an aerobic instructor so she did a mini class before we all got on each morning.

teamsarazara

Visit site
I am going to try stretches tomorrow as can't bear it tonight, i can hardly move never mind stretch lol. Thanks for all your helpful advice xx

Visit site
Hadn't ridden since before Christmas and have ridden 3 every day since Tuesday and now I am in so much pain that I'm struggling to stand up. Really sore at the top of my inner thigh, think I may have pulled the muscle. Really wish I had a bath in my house!! Taken some ibuprofen and it hasn't helped, put some muscle rub on too. Dreading getting up of the sofa! Anyone got any tips as have got to ride again tomorow ouch

Get your partner to rub in some deep heat :p