In the words of Dame Shirley Bassey….

P3LH

Visit site
‘They say the next big thing is here, but to me it seems quite clear, that it’s all just a little bit of history repeating….’

After looking into a couple of other breeds, it became clear it had to be another corgi. They get under your skin & after all we were initially going to breed a litter to take one back, before deciding against it.

We discredited the idea of a dog this year and planned to seriously look next year. Then via one of the corgi people (I have said before they are like the mafia in terms of being ‘connected’…no wonder I found it so hard to find a good one first time round as a newcomer!) I heard of a litter with essentially the same breeding behind the bitch line to madam. And a super sire too who isn’t a huge overdone dog and actually has legs - a trend missing in certain corgi males (with some royal ancestors for any of you monarchists out there)

So, meet the Sherman tank’s apprentice. He is rather charming. The litter was super and very even, there wasn’t much between any of them. Some were perhaps flashier marked then him, but I don’t like too much white, and he was tailed whereas some were natural bobs. He won on temperament as was lovely and quiet, and slept on me when we first met them a few weeks ago.

I am sure he will decline all invitations to join in world domination related antics when he comes home in a few weeks time. At this stage I am not convinced he isn’t a Labrador spy, disguised in appropriate attire, sent to infiltrate the Pembroke corgi domain.

Attachments

• 474E64EE-D84B-4A94-BABF-09AD1512D9E2.jpeg
    474E64EE-D84B-4A94-BABF-09AD1512D9E2.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 70
  • C46C879E-4AD7-4BCA-8DD0-746FC812E361.jpeg
    C46C879E-4AD7-4BCA-8DD0-746FC812E361.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 69

Bellasophia

Visit site
How lovely! my first dog was a corgi..super temperament and great offlead (Mabinogion )dog.
When I saw your title I thought the theme would be “ big spender”…lol.

Parrotperson

Visit site
OMG!!! An apprentice! TO THE TANK?! Are you completely mad?!! ???. Gorgeous though.
Can I be cheeky and ask how much a decent corgi costs these days? The local vet has a litter pending and I’d be tempted ;if I wasn’t supposed to be looking for a gun dog type!??)

P3LH

Visit site
Thank you. No pet name yet. His kc name is political, I will share with you at a later date.

He is quite different to the tank in temp and personality, as are his parents. Madam is just like her mother.

Prices really vary - it depends if you buy from a ‘good’ breeder or a ‘good breeder who is cashing in on the popularity of them and because they have show line bred corgis, get quite a market as being an ethical source’ - I should probably not comment any further. As a breed I would never buy from any form of advertising website - always through breed club or word of mouth.

P3LH

Visit site
Thank you. We think so too. I’m intrigued to see what colour he ends up, he is obviously a red but he and his siblings are all very dark and have copious amounts of black guard hairs which usually indicates a darker red/clear (unmarked) sable colour.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He is gorgeous. I have known several very nice corgis, years ago my aunt & uncle kept them but why would you want an apprentice Sherman Tank? Looking forward to your updates.

P3LH

Visit site
He is super cute - do not feed after midnight.....
He shows no gremlinous tendencies yet :) He has been picked very carefully in terms of breeding and temperament. I had questioned having another as madam is very head strong even for the breed and i feared butting of heads with another of her breed - but I am confident there’ll be no head butting here and my original plan of ending up with a little herd of them will come to fruition. They aren’t easy dogs by any means, but they are good fun. Even when ignoring you. The positives far exceed the challenges.

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
I am insanely jealous, have wanted one for years, but they are like hens teeth here. He is an absolute sweetheart.
My bitches sire, who is also great grand sire to the pup we are having - is a NZ import. From the Merthyr Wanda or Merthyr kennels. They seem to export quality dogs to lots of prominent breeders in the U.K. and US….those dogs nearly all go back to original U.K. imports from the Belroyd lines - which are some of the best there ever were.

silv

Visit site
My bitches sire, who is also great grand sire to the pup we are having - is a NZ import. From the Merthyr Wanda or Merthyr kennels. They seem to export quality dogs to lots of prominent breeders in the U.K. and US….those dogs nearly all go back to original U.K. imports from the Belroyd lines - which are some of the best there ever were.

Really? I might follow this up, thanks

P3LH

Visit site
Really? I might follow this up, thanks
Have a Google of ‘Merthyr Wanda corgis’ and you’ll see. They are very nice dogs, quite big as a line - but very sound and generally good health and temperament. Gin’s sire acts like a furby and shows no negative impacts from being used at stud. He’s quite different in type to most the bitches he’s mated too but he’s a consistently good producer, and put to British bitches adds a bit of style and substance, with his impeccable and calm temperament.

generally, in this breed, the dogs are quieter than the bitches.

P3LH

Visit site
I of course think so too.

Aside from being like the love child of Paddington bear, and super chilled out - he’s shaping up to be actually a very nice example of the breed already. Of course how they are at this age is never an indication but he has the seal of approval from the corgi people who think he is very nice…