In your experience- which discipline has the worst riders?

In your personal experience which discipline has worst riding?

• Total voters

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Title has been tricky to do with allotted space. Let me try to explain.

I don't go to high level shows so I am generally talking about more grass roots and local showing; that sort of thing.

I always took my horse to dressage and we never did well but I always enjoyed myself. She's doing show jumping with another rider now. And my goodness, has it been an experience. Not in a good way.

I have never seen such eye bleedingly bad riding as I have at this basic level showjumping. Three shows in I am sick of seeing spoilt bratty kids flogging ponies around jumps, their mounts so strapped up they look like bondage victims- huge gag bits with reins on bottom holes, running AND standing martingales, kids with legs flapping and huge spurs using their whips every second stride in warm ups, snarling and growling at the horses. Screaming 'pick your bloody feet' up in the ring when pony touches a pole. Never a pat for the poor thing after its exertions. Sample quotes: 'remember Chloe, if in doubt kick and shout' and 'Why was I not first' at prize giving. It is just awful to watch.

So based purely on my experience, and I've been around a few shows mainly as a spectator, and been around many yards too, I have to say the worst riding- by which I mean for me visually appalling and borderline if not actually abusive - has been seen at show jumping and is by show jumpers.

I wonder if this is local or anyone else has seen similar or indeed different. I also wonder if it depends what level of riding you are witnessing. After all I have seen plenty on the internet to suggest dressage riders can engage in some pretty unsavoury practice- but I've never witnessed it in person, certainly not at the shows I've attended.

So for this poll- please share only what you have seen or experienced personally.

Feel free to share more info in the comments. I'm just curious! Thanks.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree with you OP.

I too have been to shows and seen this sort of thing happening.

I'm totally anal about flash nosebands in particular: seems to me that every horse you go to view has one of the dang things fitted! I reckon I am rapidly getting a reputation in the area for asking the flash to be removed on every horse I go to view. Ditto martingales. IMO a lot of horses don't need either!! They just need some decent groundwork and schoolwork, and riding on sympathetically and well, rather than a quick fix which clamps the horse's mouth shut and pulls its head down into an unnatural position - and then people wonder why the result is bad habits and unacceptable behaviour! FFS is it any wonder.

I think also there is a trend to over-bit. Whatever happened to the good old fashioned "snaffle mouth". Not that a snaffle can or should be considered a "soft" bit, because it frankly isn't, but it always was a good indication of a horse with a nice soft mouth and pleasant way of going who'd take the bit readily and go forward into the bridle without having to have a stronger bit like a pelham or a kimblewick for instance. Nowadays to find a nice soft snaffle mouth is like looking for hens teeth.

Having completed the poll: (edited), one cannot disregard the sometimes shocking methods used by "natural horsemanship" practitioners, one particular name being foremost in my mind (beginning with P....... :( ). Hackamores and treeless saddles are not the solution to every problem - and if not used correctly a hackamore can be horrendous. Ditto treeless saddles, if not fitted and used wisely then they can cause an awful lot of back issues and behavioural problems.

Last edited:

Shadowdancing

Visit site
I'm inclined to agree with you OP.

I too have been to shows and seen this sort of thing happening.

I'm glad I'm not alone. And come to think of it yes, in addition to the gag bits and martingales there was a flash on every. single. one. Would you believe my mare was the only one there jumping in an egg butt snaffle and a cavesson noseband? How can that be right? It made me sad.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
I put natural horsemanship but frankly so few actually make it onto their horse maybe that was the wrong choice.

LOL I have noticed this too. At least the couple I've personally come across only had an occasional laid back amble, demonstrated adequate balance and were certainly not rough with their horses.

DD

Visit site
Endurance isn't on the list. Seen some awful riding there, horses wearing very strong bits, riders just slobbing along.

Stinkyhorses

Visit site
*Pansymouse you made me chuckle!! we all know a couple of them!! :D

I have to say I voted Dressage - The low level local ones are often the worst. I literally cant' stand watching some of the warm ups with 10ft long spurs and vicious sawing hands to force the horse "on the bit" with a flash noseband to hide the obvious discomfort - the reason you need the flash is to stop the 'naughty' horse from opening his mouth to try and stop his face hurting! - what is actually seen from the ground is a horribly over bent horse trying desperately to stop you hanging off its face or a horse so fixed in its position for self preservation there is no engagement from behind what so ever.

LadySam

Visit site
I'm totally anal about flash nosebands in particular: seems to me that every horse you go to view has one of the dang things fitted!

I'm so glad you said this! I thought I was being very old fashioned in my thinking or something. It bothers the hell out of me that so many people put them on horses without even considering if it's necessary. Ditto the over-bitting and substituting gadgets for schooling and good riding.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
I'm so glad you said this! I thought I was being very old fashioned in my thinking or something. It bothers the hell out of me that so many people put them on horses without even considering if it's necessary. Ditto the over-bitting and substituting gadgets for schooling and good riding.

A lot of the kids I see seem to be from the same school- it's like they copy what their friends are using rather than using what their horse actually needs- e.g. if your horse needs 2 martingales and a bubble bit on bottom ring plus flash- why are you wearing spurs too?

Elbie

Visit site
I've seen some interesting riding at Trec competitions. I say this with the knowledge that people probably watch me ride and think I look dreadful!

madlady

Visit site
It's SJ for me as well - and not just at a local level either. I've groomed in the past for a pro and some of the things I've seen in collecting rings don't bear thinking about.

I wonder if it's because of the different mindset - they are going out there with the aim of getting a horse/pony around a course of jumps and (in some cases) don't care how its achieved, just that it is.

I do appreciate that to get around Hickstead is no mean feat and that a lot of the pro-riders do take their horses into consideration (they wouldn't earn any money without them) but when riders at a local level see the pro's riding in all sorts - and very rarely without a martingale - is the perception that if you are jumping you have to have a martingale? I reckon a lot comes down to lack of understanding/knowledge. The pro's know why they are doing it, the local riders????????

WelshD

Visit site

I have never seen such eye bleedingly bad riding as I have at this basic level showjumping. Three shows in I am sick of seeing spoilt bratty kids flogging ponies around jumps, their mounts so strapped up they look like bondage victims- huge gag bits with reins on bottom holes, running AND standing martingales, kids with legs flapping and huge spurs using their whips every second stride in warm ups, snarling and growling at the horses. Screaming 'pick your bloody feet' up in the ring when pony touches a pole. Never a pat for the poor thing after its exertions. Sample quotes: 'remember Chloe, if in doubt kick and shout' and 'Why was I not first' at prize giving. It is just awful to watch.

I agree.

Showing isn't on your list but deserves a mention. Now I am a huge showing fan but my goodness some of the riding is awful. It used to be better I think when showing was seen as a general education for a pony. Now that some riders ONLY do showing you can see that all they have ever been taught is to get through a show without falling off every rise to the trot results in a kick even when the pony doesn't need to be encouraged forwards. Some ride beautifully I hasten to add!

Asha

Visit site
From what ive seen over the past few years, its def show jumping. Id go further and say its unaffiliated and 85-1m class affiliated that are the worst.

When I first started to go to affiliated comps, I was amazed that some people actually got around the course. However, it seems that when it goes past 1.05 it becomes much better.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I initially thought SJ but then read natural horseman***** so opted for that purely because they are mostly idiots and do my head in! BUT yes SJ is terrible. A couple of years ago I was at the Bucks County Show and this girl was in the warm up jumping her horse ragged, the thing was knackered and she was using the whip excessively until I told her I was going to drag her off her horse and beat her with the F**ing whip ... I saw the parents and the little tag along friend stare at me when she had obviously told them what I'd said but I didnt care and it stopped her on that occasion.

I stood watching a guy 'school' a horse at Quainton once whilst waiting for my friend ... I think I had gone to watch her do a little round of showjumping or something and I said to my friend, nodding at the guy, that if I had to use all that crap on the horse to get it going nicely I wouldnt be riding it! Turns out it was Ben Maher, lol! I stand by what I said.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I initially thought SJ but then read natural horseman***** so opted for that purely because they are mostly idiots and do my head in! BUT yes SJ is terrible. A couple of years ago I was at the Bucks County Show and this girl was in the warm up jumping her horse ragged, the thing was knackered and she was using the whip excessively until I told her I was going to drag her off her horse and beat her with the F**ing whip ... I saw the parents and the little tag along friend stare at me when she had obviously told them what I'd said but I didnt care and it stopped her on that occasion.

I stood watching a guy 'school' a horse at Quainton once whilst waiting for my friend ... I think I had gone to watch her do a little round of showjumping or something and I said to my friend, nodding at the guy, that if I had to use all that crap on the horse to get it going nicely I wouldnt be riding it! Turns out it was Ben Maher, lol! I stand by what I said.

1. I wish I had seen you say that to her, cannot bear that sort of riding!

2. Not keen on Ben Maher, used to like his riding until his true colours were shown. A nobhead rider, and a nobhead of a man imo!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
SJ in my experience. It seems that as soon as some riders enter a collecting ring, they are so focused on getting over the jumps at any price that practically everything they ever learned about riding flies out of their heads.
I see the same riders in WH classes behaving much better because they know the judge is watching carefully. Although some riders have been known to ride badly in WH collecting ring, not realising that there will be a steward there the intervene.
It makes me cross because it is obvious that they actually know what they are doing but treat the horse like a bike rather than a sentient being when they think no-one can say anything to them.

Damnation

Visit site
When I worked on a yard we ran SJ competitions.

Most of the kids were ok, it was all fun and a small island so you rarely saw that type of horiffic riding.

Until, one day this child on a 12hh pony came to the SJ with the most vile mother. Typical pushy, didn't care about the pony. This poor little pony was in a pelham with roundings and a martingale. This small child had spurs (at that age, we are talking maybe 5 or 6 how do you have the coordination to jump with spurs! They take a certain level of empathy and understanding to use) and a whip. Said pony was socked in the gob before each jump, then when pony nearly refused, walloped and kicked.

The YO informed the mother that they would not be returning until they could demonstrate that they had recieved lessons and improved the childs attitude to be more empathetic to that poor gem of a pony who was trying so hard. She categorically told them that riding with a Pelham, socking him in the gob then smacking and kicking the pony with spurs was not acceptable on any level.

They never returned. I was lucky, my YO would not ever tolerate that type of treatment of a horse. Wish more people would speak up. (Stewards etc)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Umm, all of them? IF, and I emphasize this, IF riders are not properly taught/not experienced/overhorsed then any and every discipline is painful to watch. What has happened to the teaching of riding and horsemanship? Perhaps that would be a better poll.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Umm, all of them? IF, and I emphasize this, IF riders are not properly taught/not experienced/overhorsed then any and every discipline is painful to watch. What has happened to the teaching of riding and horsemanship? Perhaps that would be a better poll.
Couldn't agree more, having seen some of our local "trainers" I wouldn't want them teaching anyone to ride a rocking horse!

joulsey

Visit site
I wonder if it's because of the different mindset - they are going out there with the aim of getting a horse/pony around a course of jumps and (in some cases) don't care how its achieved, just that it is.

This is exactly what I was going to put. All that matters is they get over the jumps within a time limit, there are no points for style or horsemanship, so especially with some riders in the lower levels, it all goes out the window. I also think alot of people overhorse them selves as far as showjumpers are concerned, which leads to bad riding and over bitting etc

pixie27

Visit site

100% agree with this.

But I put SJ on the poll as from my experience, that's where the worst seems to come out.

I remember going to a very local, very small show when I was about 10 - desperate for a horse but from a poor family so no chance. Was watching a clear round class and a very fat child - probably my age - was cantering around on a small, skinny pony. I didn't know much about balance/weight back then, but could tell she was very unbalanced and way too big for the pony. Pony very gallantly took her round the course, clambering over the fences while she smacked it with a whip and socked it in the mouth. It refused the second part of a double and she came off, whereby she stood up and yanked it repeatedly in the mouth and smacked it round the head with her whip a few times.

No family member appeared and this went on for what seemed like ages until a man (who I assumed was involved with the show) stepped in and took the whip and pony off the child, and really shouted at her. I can still feel the hatred I had for her now.

Sealine

Visit site
I voted showjumping before I'd read any of the posts. Show jumping seems to attract riders who want the fun and adrenalin rush of jumping but without putting any effort into groundwork or basic riding skills. I was always told that show jumping is dressage with speed bumps and you need to do the flatwork to be able to do a decent show jumping round.

Also I agree re: strapping horses down and people not being properly taught. I know someone who bought a very green five year old and within a couple of weeks her instructor had her riding it in a flash, martingale, draw reins and spurs and eight months later still doing the same. I don't claim to be an expert but I can't believe it's the best way to get a youngster going nicely.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Low end SJ and dressage are pretty awful, aren't they.

In contrast, I'd like to commend low level BE competitors for being nice and looking like they are enjoying themselves, whilst looking after their horses. I do a bit of volunteeering at BE, and always have a great day.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site

Yes please please start one - what HAS happened?? :(

PrancingPoniesxx

Visit site
I'd probably say local shows held by the stables in the sj classes
Loads of people dragging their ponies around and yelling at them!
But I've seen a lot of comments about flashes on here?
The pony I ride wears one but he's six and very very strong. It's not really my place to say if it goes on or off though