injection or bullet

Parkranger

Visit site
I always said I'd go the injection route until myhorse broke his leg - you don't want a horse going down on said broken leg when they're injected and feeling pain as their last thought.

Sometimes it's kinder to shoot.

severnmiles

Visit site
Definately the bullet, had a horrid experience with the injection with my 2y.o. Never again.

With a bullet they're dead before they hit the ground, the same can't be said for the injection. People just think its nicer.

galaxy

Visit site
Something I've had to think about. My horse is a total nightmare to inject. As soon as a vet scatches his neck he's up on his back legs. He has to have his flu jab in his bum, while he's stood in a trailer with his head in a bucket.

If something happened to him, I couldn't have him injected because I couldn't go through the stress of having to get a needle into, because I think I'm right in saying that it has to go into a vein in the neck, and that is just never going to happen! So bullet is the only option.

samp

Visit site
Injection, working at an equine vet I have seen them go wrong on both occassions. At least injection they are knocked out slightly, if shot they can be in immense pain if it goes wrong.

hollyzippo

Visit site
I dont think it makes any odds to the stress of the horse as they dont know any better! Unless dont like jabs as above!!
Its just up to the owner- bullet makes a reasonable amount of mess, but if you can face clearing up it is cheaper and as mentioned can go to hunt if you dont want to pay collection fees.

Personally I think I'd have injection for either of mine as couldnt face them going to hunt (although have sent others before and they do a great job!). I'm too soft!

Kirsti1

Visit site
Hi Sammy,
when i had to have my pony put down i opted for the 'new' injection. it was a good decision, very quick, quiet, no stress for me or my beloved pony, no mess (sorry horrid thought), no twitching either. he just laid down and looked like he was asleep. i will use the same method again.
hope that helps
Kirsti

Clodagh

Visit site
Bullet. Injections on a dying animal thats blood supply is shutting down through shock or trauma does not work.
Huntsmen do it all the time and hopefully quite like horses, so will be nice to you, too.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bullet. Injections on a dying animal thats blood supply is shutting down through shock or trauma does not work.
Huntsmen do it all the time and hopefully quite like horses, so will be nice to you, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll even let you feed it as they do it!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Injection, working at an equine vet I have seen them go wrong on both occassions. At least injection they are knocked out slightly, if shot they can be in immense pain if it goes wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong by vets? I've never seen it go wrong with a kennelman or a huntsman.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I had no option both mine were shot, neither felt a thing. I have been with 3 other horses who were shot again there was no bodge up, & very quck. The only time I saw a horse injected, it seemed to take forever, though I believe things have changed in the last 15yrs.

jemima

Visit site
Real honest answer?

I'd have the man who used to slaughter our sheep and pigs use his humane killer. He has shot thousands of animals, and dozens that I have witnessed. I've never yet seen him handle the animal with anything other than the utmost tact and care to get its confidence so that he can do a swift professional job. I have never seen him make any mistake and I would be happy that any animal I owned felt no fear but only the understanding , companionship and sympathy of a man there to make his passing as easy as possible.

jemima

Visit site
off topic - but do you realise that my slaughterman is now not allowed to kill my livestock on site? He has been doing the job since he started as an apprentice and he's now retiring age but legally only I can kill my sheep and pigs at home. For homebred animals that have never travelled I cannot see the sense in subjecting them to the terrors that being caged and transported to an abattoir must cause - so I have to do my own. We have "the man" there for technical advice and in a welfare capacity in case anything goes wrong and so far it hasn't but how stupid is it that the unskilled amateur has to do the shooting whilst the trained apprentice-served licensed man looks on.

Sorry for rant!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Bullet if reliable, known person from hunt or local firm, as have never heard anything bad about either.

Injection if I have to have vet do it. i.e. vet there horse in pain

k9h

Visit site
Would have shot by any huntsman (butnot a vet- they dont use them often enough to get it right, where it is nearly 2nd nature to a huntsman). Have had probs with injection & our vet said it's generally 30min till you can be sure that they are dead.
Depends on what would be best in situation as they can not use a gun on a racecourse. Health & saftey (they have to have a silencer which most humane killers not take)

k9h

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
off topic - but do you realise that my slaughterman is now not allowed to kill my livestock on site? He has been doing the job since he started as an apprentice and he's now retiring age but legally only I can kill my sheep and pigs at home. For homebred animals that have never travelled I cannot see the sense in subjecting them to the terrors that being caged and transported to an abattoir must cause - so I have to do my own. We have "the man" there for technical advice and in a welfare capacity in case anything goes wrong and so far it hasn't but how stupid is it that the unskilled amateur has to do the shooting whilst the trained apprentice-served licensed man looks on.

Sorry for rant!

[/ QUOTE ]

How very odd. As I understand it anyone can put an animal out of suffering (ie kill). But if the animal isn't suffering (ie killed for slaughter or any other reason) Then you have to have a licence. Which you get from a vet after they have seen you kill at least 2 of each species ie horse, sheep, cow, dog etc....
Plus we haven't been told that at hunt kennels so knacker round can still continue??????

runaway

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
bullet makes a reasonable amount of mess, but if you can face clearing up it is cheaper and as mentioned can go to hunt if you dont want to pay collection fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had the unfortunate experience of being present when several horses have been shot (worked at a vets) and have never felt that the bullet makes a reasonable amount of mess!! Yes there is obviously the blood leakage, assume this is what you mean, but otherwise it isn't "messy". Just felt this needed clarification as didn't want others who've not seen it happen getting horrible gory visions
wink.gif

I've never been at an injection PTS so cannot comment first hand but have spoken to vets re this method and they told me some pretty unpleasant things.

I basically view things this way, you never know what's going on in your horses body and their system can react quite differently and strangely. Some may even fight the drugs, seen that in dogs, and therefore I feel this could be quite unpleasant.

With a "bullet" as long as you use a person who is accustomed to handling horses and is experienced then there is little chance of things going wrong. (they usually have a second gun loaded to hand just in case I believe) I've seen our local knacker man deal with 3 horses by himself and he is very calm. My dad took his horse to kennels and due to his height the huntsman had to stand on the kennel wall because the horse was watching the hounds in the excercise paddock. (Dad always promised him he'd see hound and he did!)

I hope my man will fall asleep and not wake up but if this doesn't happen he'll go to sleep by the gun.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think the bullet makes a lot of mess. Now that they use the spinning bullet rather than the captive bolt there is quite a bit of gore. Sorry, don't agree with you there!

lorenababbit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Real honest answer?

I'd have the man who used to slaughter our sheep and pigs use his humane killer. He has shot thousands of animals, and dozens that I have witnessed. I've never yet seen him handle the animal with anything other than the utmost tact and care to get its confidence so that he can do a swift professional job. I have never seen him make any mistake and I would be happy that any animal I owned felt no fear but only the understanding , companionship and sympathy of a man there to make his passing as easy as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

and there s a point. it seems to me in this thread that people are not realising the distinction between actual bullets and humane killers. i have never seen the former go wrong but not all vets use it. And if it all goes horibly wrong at a competion you wont get much of a choice about method. also if injected making arrangemants for the body more difficult, as cant enter the fod chain and many kennels wont touch. For all i know, not being much of a hunting person, they might not actually be allowed to.

runaway

Visit site
Have the regs changed recently then? I was at vets a couple of years ago when they used the bolt. Assuming this has gone to the spinning bullet, as you mention, now. Is this the case? If so I've had no experience of this method and my comments are only relevant to the bolt method. But saying that the livestock I've seen at the kennels which have been shot aren't in a state. (if you see what I mean
crazy.gif
)

vicm2509

Visit site
I think it depends on the situation tbh. My horse was already down and had colic, the vet had been treating him for 4 hours and he was pretty much out of it anyway so he had the injection. I was with him the whole time.

If however he was standing and was maybe trapped or just needed to be pts for one reason or another I think I would choose the bullet as it is quicker, but I would have to have it done by someone who was very experienced. I dont think I could be present in this situation though.