injection or bullet

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care what anyone says about slaughter houses........there is absolutely NO WAY in hell I would EVER take any of mine to a slaughter house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded! You must be hard nosed to put £500.00 above the welfare of your horse. I know of one lady whos horse gave her 17 seasons of hunting (mine would have retired to the field until the end of his days) she was going to send him to the slaugher house but then found out she'd get more)(she was VERY wealthy) if she sent him to Scotland to that place that drains the blood off of them....horrid!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

First off - I'm not arguing with you or anybody I'm giving my opinion.
Secondly, why can you not just accept that people have different views to you. You are what? 20 something? You DO NOT know everything! Sorry, but you just don't seem to give up.
I anticipate struggling to hold my own 'pet' horses for a bullet but would if was the only option and have held many through work/for friends etc.
So you've had a bad experience with your 2 yr old with an injection, I've had bad experiences with a couple of horses struggling to their feet afterwards - thats why you prefer the bullet and I prefer the injection!
So,you prefer the bullet, I prefer the injection...is that ok?
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical for you! I wouldn't both answering but then I never give up do I....

Regarding heroin, I hope you've been watching 'Growing out of trouble', you might learn something. I quote Monty....'A friend said why are you bothering? They will stab you in the back, heroin users don't care for anything, they are liers, thieves and you should stop the program now'.....from a reformed addict! I hope both he and I are proved wrong and they change their lives. I really do.

Perhaps it is YOU who should open her eyes, you are also NOT right about everything and should respect my opinion just as much as I do you. 20 has sweet F.A to do with anything. Age is but a number.

Who the hell shot your horse if they struggled to their feet....a vet i suspect.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It is a slower method of death without a doubt but it is not cruel in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect what you're saying BUT how can you say it is not cruel, granted equally how can I say it is....a slow death is a slow death, if this was sport it would be banned. Who knows what the horse goes through during the injection, it could be unconcious and feel nothing, it could be in pain. None of us know unless we go through it...we can hardly report back if we do
smirk.gif

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
If it were so cruel there would be no GA's for horses as what the horse knows is the same - it loses consciousness and collapses to the ground - the reason it collapses is it is no longer conscious and able to stand (except with a GA it doesnt die once it loses consciousness!) All the ones I have seen PTS by injection have shown no signs of distress at all before, during or after (and I have seen hundreds, not just one or two!) I know you had a bad experience but that really is the exception to the rule. An experienced vet will bring about death by either method quickly and painlessly.

My point is that both methods are totally humane, to say euthanasia by injection would be banned if it were a sport is totally ridiculous.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
An experienced vet will bring about death by either method quickly and painlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being me I disagree with that comment, vets aren't the people to ask to shoot a horse.

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that both methods are totally humane

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an opinion though. I hope they both are though, I'm sure they are. But for me its whats instant that is best for my lot.
smile.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
I've always taken my horses to the slaughterhouse. The horse didn't have a clue what ws going on, walked quite happily into the barn and then she fell over - that was it. The last time we were going to have a horse put down there was a 3 month waiting list to do it. With a slaughterhouse or the kennels at least you don't have to deal with the body (IMO it's no longer a horse) to dispose of it in any other way you are looking at about £600.

If a horse has been injected will the kennels take it?

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
That's why I said an experienced vet. The older vets I have know are fine as they used to do it all the time - the younger ones rarely do it now. In an earlier post I said if I were to have a horse shot it would be the knacker or hunt rather than a young vet.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Was that a three month waiting list at the abbatoir? I know the ones that used to take the bodies away from the vet supplied various places i.e. zoos and greyhound stables etc and I suppose they know what will be needed in advance so don't bring in more than they can get rid of. The one we used also had a field of (very well cared for) native ponies that they would use if they were short.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

If a horse has been injected will the kennels take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some will, some won't. It costs alot I think because they can't get it near the flesh that they feed, so they charge alot more as they don't want it. I guess it may differ from hunt to hunt.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Think some will, but charge as carcass has to be incinerated. Hunts have to pay by weight for the offal & injected carcasses to be taken away and incinerated, thus pass this charge on. Well thats how it was when I worked for a hunt about 10yrs ago.

dieseldog

Visit site
There are only 2 licensed horse slaughters in the country that why there was a 3 month waiting list, it was a while ago now, so might be different.

The worse thing about it though was that they sent you a calender at christmas - from Potters (that is the actual name of the family that ran the place - guess thats how the term potters came about)

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

First off - I'm not arguing with you or anybody I'm giving my opinion.
Secondly, why can you not just accept that people have different views to you. You are what? 20 something? You DO NOT know everything! Sorry, but you just don't seem to give up.
I anticipate struggling to hold my own 'pet' horses for a bullet but would if was the only option and have held many through work/for friends etc.
So you've had a bad experience with your 2 yr old with an injection, I've had bad experiences with a couple of horses struggling to their feet afterwards - thats why you prefer the bullet and I prefer the injection!
So,you prefer the bullet, I prefer the injection...is that ok?
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical for you! I wouldn't both answering but then I never give up do I....

Regarding heroin, I hope you've been watching 'Growing out of trouble', you might learn something. I quote Monty....'A friend said why are you bothering? They will stab you in the back, heroin users don't care for anything, they are liers, thieves and you should stop the program now'.....from a reformed addict! I hope both he and I are proved wrong and they change their lives. I really do.

Perhaps it is YOU who should open her eyes, you are also NOT right about everything and should respect my opinion just as much as I do you. 20 has sweet F.A to do with anything. Age is but a number.

Who the hell shot your horse if they struggled to their feet....a vet i suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF has our heroin debate got to do with this one - grow up!!

My opinion on THIS matter is that I prefer the injection UNLESS it were not an option!! The 2 horses I saw get back up were done by the knacker man...maybe he had a bad day but I would rather not chance it with mine...MY CHOICE!!

As regards your age?...well I think your reactions to anyone thats not agreeing with you and the fact that you can't forget a debate we had a week or so ago may be a give away to the fact you're not very mature
crazy.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Think some will, but charge as carcass has to be incinerated. Hunts have to pay by weight for the offal & injected carcasses to be taken away and incinerated, thus pass this charge on. Well thats how it was when I worked for a hunt about 10yrs ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most hunts should have an incinerater.

sallyf

Visit site
Hasnt this post been done to death if people used search they would reaslise this topic has been on here a number of times in the last 4 months.
Not aimed at anyone in particular just fed up with seeing this morbid topic.
Expect i will get slagged off for this but heh it is a free country

severnmiles

Visit site
Doubt you will at all sallyf! I hadn't noticed that, you're very observant!

It is a morbid subject and clearly one that raises emotions...time to move on...

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'll just agree to disagree with you....or are you going to disagree with me on that too?
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had 2 debates with you in the year I've been on here. 1 on heroin which we disagreed on and this one. Pls don't try and make out I disagree with you just for the sake of it cos that would be childish!!
crazy.gif
Move on...

k9h

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Most hunts should have an incinerater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not possible. We had a quote to get up to defra standars & it would cost £50,000 plus we can not have an incinerater as we are right next to a road (country lane) so we can not have one & with the costs to get up to standards is why we just had to do away with the knacker round.

k9h

Visit site
We dont have any bones!! Since F&M we collected for 2 years after that & then the Defra set out new regulations & we haven't had any since then. Has made it alot cheaper for us though! It's because a road runs on both sides of us we can'T have one.