injection or bullet

Tia

Visit site
I'd always go for the bullet where available. It isn't nice for the handler but I believe it is kinder for the horse, and for me that is the most important thing.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Bullet every time by the hunt staff at home then taken to the kennels!
An injection can be kinder to the sensibilities of the owner but I've known of many that are botched with horrible consequences and time span whereas a bullet is instantaneous death although there will often be muscle spasms for a short while, but the horse is actually dead before it hits the floor unlike an injection.
Hunt staff do this virtually every day of their working lives and know how to treat any animal with the kindness and respect it deserves (they're also always brilliant with the owners too, something I can't say for vets!) I've even known a vet bodge a shooting job which is unforgiveable in my eyes. Bring in the professionals every time.

Nic

Visit site
Bullet.

My wee pony was PTS in September by bullet, terrified of needles & the vet so tha last thing he new was the biggest bucket of feed he had ever been allowed to stick his head in.

Hell of a lot less pleasent for the owner but the horse feels utterly normal to the end.

There are at least as many bodged attempts by injection as there are gun.

Nic

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Injection... Can for the life of me think why you'd use a bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because instant oblivion is far kinder that removing an animals senses slowly.

Injection has a far more romantic notion of "slipping away" for the owner, but as for what is kindest for the horse I'd go with bullet every time.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hunt staff do this virtually every day of their working lives and know how to treat any animal with the kindness and respect it deserves (they're also always brilliant with the owners too

[/ QUOTE ]
Freddy was shot by the Huntsman from the Glamorgan - and he was just wonderful I have to be honest. He showed an enormous amount of respect for me and my emotions (which I just managed to keep in check). And the horse was dispatched quickly and cleanly.

Maybe it's the emotion of loosing another horse that I can't bear - rather than the method.........

vivhewe

Visit site
My old mare was injected to be PTS and the vet said she went nicely and quietly, so I'd say injection, however he said some of them try to fight it and stumble around before going down and it isn't a nice sight. Carrie wasn't but I know of a horse that was down and she was injected and just went peacefully which was nice as it put her out of her pain.

If they were likely to fight it I think I'd say bullet as it wouldn't be as traumatic to watch as it's instant, although TBH seeing as I didn't have the balls to be with the poor old lass when she was put down it probably won't make a lot of difference
crazy.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
have never felt that the bullet makes a reasonable amount of mess

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to say, neither have I. There has only been a bit of blood seepage but certainly nothing as horrific as has been mentioned on this thread.
crazy.gif

Just a couple of buckets of water has dispersed the blood.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd always go for the bullet where available. It isn't nice for the handler but I believe it is kinder for the horse, and for me that is the most important thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto....

Enfys

Visit site
Bullet and huntsman.
The only time that I've seen things go wrong with a gun is when there was something wrong with it and it misfired (just didn't work) THREE times. Fortunately the horse was heavily sedated and knew nothing anyway, I, on the other hand was holding him and was a nervous wreck. In my experience that was a one off incident, every other time (and that time too) the horse has been treated by the Kennel staff with great respect and given a dignified exit.

Clodagh

Visit site
A bit of blood goes a long way! I'm not talking bucket loads but a decent puddle. Sorry!

As for bolt or bullet, I believe it depends what the undividual has, but I think that bolts are harder to replace now.

equibabe20

Visit site
Where I work we have always have horses put down works out at least 1 a month. We've had 21 PTS this year alone and all of them are shot. I have unfortunatly held whilst this is being done, and i have to say its not that messy to be honest it depends who does it. Our knacker man is fantastic he knows his job so well and really does care about the horses. He puts a bag over their head once they've been shot so that it catches the blood etc.. not very nice but its cleaner.
Although saying this when my boy is PTS i want him injected Ive had bad experiences when they are shot, like them geting back up, twiching etc I know its only nerves but its not nice to watch. Also our knacker man was on holiday so we were sent a different one and he shoots cows for a living, and he shot one horse and apparently it wasnt dead as he drove of it was kicking and making noises from inside the lorry. Our head groom got him to stop but he said it was normal
frown.gif
so the poor horse was left to die inside a lorry with other dead horses. The only way mine will be shot is by using our knacker man I wont trust anyone else.

SSM

Visit site
Bullet - then off to live on in the local hounds - my Donkey is vet/needle phobic - if I can help it I most certainly do not want her last memory being a needle going into her.

Farm Kat

Visit site
Bullet done at the kennels. Had one PTS earlier this year like this, she was only just hatle-broken, but had an unfortunate accident and had to be PTS.

He was calm, genlte, offered her a polo, I turned my back heard a shot and she was on the floor, and very little blood.

One of mine I'm not sure though, he is wary of alot of men, unless they have food, and hates traveling, so I think I may have to have his sedated and done at home, but that all depends on the circumstances.

josephinebutter2

Visit site
Have had experience of both and to be honest I would go for the injection over the bullet if only for my sake. I can still not get the image of my pony being shot out of my mind and it has been nearly 10 years now. The knackerman was very kind and gentle and my pony, who didn't normally like men, put his head down calmly as the man rubbed his forhead which was nice. But the vision of him falling to the ground with blood running from his head and convulsing (which is normal) was a lot to take.

Injections I have witnessed have always been very calm and it's just as if the horse is lying down to go to sleep.

I really don't think it makes much difference for the horse as both are quick and painfree if done correctly. I just think if it were me, I would rather have an injection than a bullet!

Injections usually go wrong when the lethal dose is injected straight away. Most vets now go for sedation, a knockout dose as if going for an operation, then adminster the lethal dose when they are under.

Either way, I would insist on an experienced person as the problems tend to arise with new vets/knackermen.

I may have to suffer the bullet again with my horse now tho, as he is very resistant to sedatives and had to have 3x the maximum sedation just to have a wolf tooth out, so I would worry that he would resist it and panic. Hopefully wont have to make that decision for some time tho!

SilGathien

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can still not get the image of my pony being shot out of my mind and it has been nearly 10 years now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I think would happen with me too if any of mine were shot, my imagination would prey on that forever, because I couldn't even stand the description my history teacher gave of what happened in the Godfather.

I'm not one for blood, I can't stand it. So I would have to go with the injection. I know the horse can thrash, and that might be traumatic for me, but I don't think I could handle the image of my horse being shot, even by those who do it everyday and know what they are doing.

However, a lot of you say that a shot us kinder for the horse, so maybe I would consider it. But I don't know if I could handle it. I'd rather be more emotionally stable for my horses case.

Also, I don't know how much euthanasia costs, and maybe the bullet would have to be used if any of mine (most likely Jack), pass before I have the money to pay for him having to be PTS.

sojeph

Visit site
Sedation followed by injection if I had time to think about it but realise that in an emergency a bullet may be the only option! (Wouldn't be happy tho - too brutal for me!!) Seen both many times - seen a couple of dodgy bullet jobs - not good!! All my nags are fine with needles so no probs there.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would go for the injection over the bullet if only for my sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only reason, its for our sake, I think we should put our horses first and in that case the one that kills them outright is what is best, surely?

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I have always said the bullet but we had a horse shot on the yard last year and it was gruesome (and he was a good knackerman)

Quote:

“a little blood goes a long way”

Yes it most certainly does. I was shocked.

I therefore hope to hell I NEVER have to go through it. From a selfish perspective, I would get my Dad to hold the horse and say my goodbyes before– I couldn’t go through feeling the end of the leadrope go slack – and I have the utmost respect for the people that do.

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would go for the injection over the bullet if only for my sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only reason, its for our sake, I think we should put our horses first and in that case the one that kills them outright is what is best, surely?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what if its for our sake tho? Either way the horse will die - neither is cruel, both work! I would seriously struggle to be with my horses while they were being shot but would be fine being with them while being injected and TBH I think it would be better for them if I was there.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Mines a pet too. However I want the quickest and less stressful exit for my neddy as possible. I would happily have my dog shot if it was an option, he hates needles!!!

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I have seen many horses PTS during my time at an equine vets. We were putting down between 2 and 10 a week and I can honestly say I never saw anything go wrong. Everyone knows of someone who has a horror story but not many people have actually witnessed things go wrong. There are horror stories of both types of euthanasia and I am sure very occasionally things don't go as planned.

However - I firmly believe that both methods are as humane as each other. The gun is very fast and the horse can be sedated. If I were to go for the gun, I would have the kennels or knackerman to do it. Vets do not shoot horses often and the vast majority hate doing it, particularly the more newly qualified ones as the injections available now are so good. If the horse was very sick or shocked I would definitely go for the gun as if the circulation starts to shut down it can affect the way the drug works.

My own horse was PTS by injection and this would be my choice again. It was clean, quick and he was dead and his heart stopped when he hit the floor. The reason the horse falls is because it has lost consciousness so even if there is some movement the horse is not conscious of it. There was a nasty case on here recently of one which got up but this is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Sadly on many occasions the circumstances will dictate the method available but if you have the choice you should not feel guilty whichever you choose. Either are far more humane than allowing a horse to suffer.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mines a pet too. However I want the quickest and less stressful exit for my neddy as possible. I would happily have my dog shot if it was an option, he hates needles!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

As did we Saturday, she was gone instantly!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

So what if its for our sake tho? Either way the horse will die - neither is cruel, both work! I would seriously struggle to be with my horses while they were being shot but would be fine being with them while being injected and TBH I think it would be better for them if I was there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust you to argue with me
smirk.gif
tongue.gif

Well if the injection is so fab I wish you'd have witnessed my 2y.o go.

I think 'so what if its for our sake' is a very selfish comment, the horse should come before you, no matter what.

If you struggle to hold a horse for a gun then take it to the kennels and say your goodbyes. They'll just put it into a stable until you're gone.

cazcrazyjonty

cazcrazyjonty.tripod.com
OK

how would u like to be killed by a gun shoot in the head u no its coming or having an injection which u are used too...

as you put the gun to the horses head they know what happening so by doing that you are giving them a horrid last minute on earth

an injection they just think it another injection no big deal and what would u rather see ur horse drop to the floor with a bang from the gun or to be pts peacefully then not knowing whats happening...

we are retired livery here and we have had to put a few down the injection is so much nicer for the horse

it may be more expensive but at least the horse doesnt hear the bang and it looks horrid wid a gun