insisting sharer has lessons... fair?

amycamycamyc

Visit site
Just wondering what people's thoughts would be on this arrangement. I am starting to consider getting a sharer over the winter to ride twice a week, and thinking that maybe I would say instead of them paying me for the share, I would ask that instead they get a lesson with my instructor [£30 for 45 mins] for one of their rides.

is this a bit demanding/controlling of me?

would £30 for 2x per week riding be a reasonable price? No mucking out etc required, just turn up, groom, ride then feed or chuck out after.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Just wondering what people's thoughts would be on this arrangement. I am starting to consider getting a sharer over the winter to ride twice a week, and thinking that maybe I would say instead of them paying me for the share, I would ask that instead they get a lesson with my instructor [£30 for 45 mins] for one of their rides.

is this a bit demanding/controlling of me?

would £30 for 2x per week riding be a reasonable price? No mucking out etc required, just turn up, groom, ride then feed or chuck out after.

If I was looking to share I'd have thought that a good arrangement.

Echo24

Visit site
I think that's reasonable, no stable duties, opportunity to ride and improve my riding, sounds like the right kind of share for me!

Sheep

Visit site
It is your horse, so at the end of the day you are free to specify whatever conditions you want :) it may limit your audience a little bit, but to be honest, if I was looking for a share I'd only be happy to take lessons.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
If they needed to improve quite a bit then yes I'd insist - but maybe once a fortnight.

Any serious rider will look to have lessons anyway.... Even if it was just once a month.

My old sharer owner said there was nothing wrong with the way I rode, she gave me lessons geared towards the way her horse was ridden, but she asked me to go for a lesson at a really upmarket riding school once in a while just to keep me fresh with an another horse / instructor. Didn't mind atall

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I think it would depend on the current riding level of the sharer. There seems to be a misconception that people looking to share are less experienced.
On the other hand £30 is relatively cheap for a lesson. The instructors I've used have been between £50 and £65 for 45 minute lesson and you have to take horse to them.

No harm in having that as a condition of sharing. Atleast you shoud both be working the horse the same way as a result but it may limit you audience.

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
Would the cost of the lesson be in the cost of the share? So £30 covers the lesson and the other days riding ? Or £30 to you and another £30 to your instructor? £30 a week is fair but £60 to ride twice a week is a bit steep . . . unless your instructor is Carl Hester or the like in which case you will have them queueing a mile away :p :D

Sandylou

Visit site
I've been trying to get my sharer/jockey to have lessons but she hasn't booked one yet and my instructor is only £10 for 1/2 hour!
If I could turn back the clock I would've made lessons a condition of the agreement as she is a bit of a sloppy rider with a few bad habits, not saying I'm perfect (far from it!) but my horse is young and so needs consistency. Our riding styles are completely different....I'm off to have another chat! :)
PS - £30 a week is quite steep considering riding schools only charge around £20 an hour and all you have to do is turn up and ride. Perhaps a lesson a fortnight might be a good compromise.

Sheep

Visit site
I get the impression that the sharer would pay £30 a week- to cover the cost of the lesson. They wouldn't pay any more on top of that, from what I can see here.

Chavhorse

Visit site
I have just taken a 3 day a week lease of a horse, part of the agreement is that you have a minimum of 1 lesson a month just so they can ensure you and the horse are on track.

My lease costs me £160 per month plus £35.00 for the lesson. So a total of £195.00 per month which equates to £16.25 per session (I can ride for as long as I like, so hours schooling followed by an hours hack out if I want to).

Personally I think it is a great deal as I could not get this much riding for this price at a riding school. Also love the lesson, good instructor who gives you something to work on over the next month which i think helps me focus.

the watcher

Visit site
It does limit who you could attract as a potential sharer,but for me there would be another issue...the trainer/pupil relationship is a tricky one..it took years for me to find somebody I really had confidence in and in a lifetime of riding I can only think of two trainers over the years that I would have lessons with now.

So your loaners not only have to like you and your horse, but your trainer too.

maresmaid

Visit site
I absolutely agree, it's quite reasonable that you would want them to train under the same instructor to ensure your horse is worked consistantly, and much better that you set this up as the arrangement right at the start rather than find they need lessons later and have to change things. You could mention this when you first meet the potential sharer - "What I am looking for is someone who will be willing to pay for their regular lessons with my trainer to ensure the horse is worked consistantly"

Effectively they would be paying £30 per week to ride twice a week - £15 per ride - very reasonable if compared to the cost of lessons / hacks at a riding school I think.

Goblins

New User
Visit site
Sounds jolly sensible to me. I'm in London and would be quite interested in this arrangement - £30 for a private lesson and getting another day with the horse sounds pretty good to me!

amycamycamyc

Visit site
It would be just £30 for the week (so includes one lesson and one 'freestyle' ride!). I'm not too bothered about the money side of the arrangement, which is why I wouldn't be asking for any money on top of the lesson fee to the instructor. It's just that my horse is rather green and really needs consistency.
I don't necessarily assume a sharer would be less experienced and "need" lessons, its more for the horse! I think I am being realistic in thinking that my rather green MW irish cob type wannabe-allrounder wouldn't attract any star dressage riders to school her... !

thanks to everyone who's replied though, interesting to see the range of opinions...

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
It would have been something I'd have been so pleased and excited to do. Sounds a wonderful opportunity to me.

Twizzel

Visit site
I wouldn't have a problem having a lesson if the owner wanted me to however find £30 for 2 days share expensive, I used to pay less than that for effectively 4 days riding per week and since giving up that share have been offered horses left right and centre to ride with no financial contribution.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ummmm I can see the positive and the negative in this here situation....

YOUR horse is green. Rider MAY not be. If you want a sharer and insist she schools your horse, then you should pay for it. Or just pay for the horse to be schooled.

On the other hand, it would benefit both rider and horse to be ridden consistently but I would be uncomfortable with paying for your horse to be schooled... I dunno but I'd rather contribute indirectly e.g. hay/bedding instead.

If it were me, I would not share my 'green' horse. Personal opinion.

Trolt

Visit site
I don't think it's an unfair request, but I think ones a week is a bit too frequent to have a lesson. I think I'd make it a condition of the contract that they must have 1 to 2 lessons every calendar month.

Thats enough that they are being monitored and helped by your instructor, but gives them time to practise and work on things, and not feel they have to have a full schooling session once a week.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I always help my liveries assess the capabilities of any prospective sharers and if they are not up to standard, we do request that they have twice weekly lessons for a little while. This is to prevent well schooled horses from going backwards in their training and possibly being ruined by incorrect or poor riding. So no, you are not being overly protective. You are being very generous by not insisting on payment for the share so it is an excellent opportunity for a sharer.

AshTay

Visit site
I think it's a good deal. I would have gone for it. Even though £30 for a lesson is quite steep, a sharer would also be getting a second ride. A twice/thrice-a-week sharer paying £20 (which seems the norm) a week would also have to pay £15 or more a week for a lesson on top of their £20.

What would happen on weeks where, say, instructor is unavailable or sharer and instructor can't find a time that suits both? Would you still ask for a contribution?

I actually think it's very sensible to ask for sharers to have lessons. After all, anyone who considers themselves beyond lessons is not the sort of person I would like schooling my horse. Even top riders have lessons!

There's no reason to say that a green horse should not be shared! A green horse should not be shared by a total novice but if the sharer was competent and keen to improve her own riding by having lessons then it's a win win situation.

Would you also be having lessons each week?

Daytona

Visit site
I said exactly the same when I got a share , I insisted she had to get a £30 lesson with my instructor 3 times a month instead of giving me money to ride. Not only does the horse benefit but so do they as getting lessons. You horse you decide..!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I think its a good deal.
Different people have different reasons for sharing. For novices, the opportunity to ride a non school horse and to ride in lessons and on their own, is something an RS cannot offer. Others may be rusty though competent, but unable to take full time responsiblity for ownership.

My last paying sharer used to pay me and decided to pay for lessons because she wanted to improve herself. She also offered to help with my other horses and yard duties.
It wasn't a one way deal, she gained knowledge and competence and is now the happy owner of two horses.

Current sharer is a student with a horse back at home. She pays nothing and is absolute godsend.