insisting sharer has lessons... fair?

Luci07

Visit site
You need to look at the OP's location (London). £30 for 2 days riding is actually cheap down here. and actually paying £30 for a lesson and a "free" ride" is not expensive. If you went to a riding school you would be paying an awful lot more for a single lesson let alone the chance to ride twice - although OP you don't say if one day is a weekend or both during the week.

We have sharers at my yard, I have 2 sharers and my friend shares one of her horses who is still out and competing and you are definately in the ball park. If you pm I am happy to share my financial agreements with my sharers with you but am not posting it on the forum. Also we have found that, the days of someone who just wanted a very gentle mooch and isn't a very experienced rider is long gone. There are lot of people who want to ride a nice horse and still improve. One of my sharers is having the odd lesson on my mare so she can learn how to get the best out of her and neither of my sharers can be called a novice!

Ladylina83

Visit site
If there is no extra charge and they get to ride twice a week I think that is a good deal for £30 - cheaper than having a private lesson most places and they get a day to take it easy too !

Brandy

Visit site
This sounds like a fab deal to me!! If I was horseless I would happily pay for this.

I had a sharer for my pony, and she paid £20 per week, and paid for her own lesson. She did get to ride as much as she wanted though.

You would pay £30 for a private lesson anyway so this I think is a good deal.

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
From past experience I think its a good idea from the outset to agree riding lessons to the benefit of both horse and rider and to keep conisistancy. The frequency might be up for negotiation depending on the experience of the sharer but certain at least one a month ...... maybe starting out with one a week or fortnight.

Tnavas

Visit site
How do you get on with the law when charging for someone to share your horse.

Technically if you charge someone to ride your horse you have to be a licenced 'riding school operator'

To me to 'Share' my horse would be to expect the person sharing to pay half of all expenses and to have the right to use the horse for 50% of the week. Obviously arranging with co sharer a timetable.

amycamycamyc

Visit site
Mmmm... food for thought... do you then have to declare it?

good point! this had never crossed my mind! I suppose the advantage of never seeing the cash myself (as it would be going directly to instructor) is that i wouldn't need to pay tax on it? I wonder how many people with sharers have ever considered the tax implications..!

MontyandZoom

Visit site
I think you should sack it off and get Montyandzoom to drive down and ride your pony for free as she is missing ponies lots and lots and lots!!! ;)

But seriously......I think that is a GREAT deal! You have been down to my place....not even any hard standing/lighting let alone a school and instructor. My sharer was paying £70 a month with was a good deal in London. If I was looking to share I would jump at the chance for your deal :)

Ps - love love, I will have to come and see you soon xx

amycamycamyc

Visit site
yay!!! a rare reappearence on HHO!! you're welcome to come ride the pony anytime you like! i can borrow you the next door zoom-a-like (seriously, scarily similarly fizzy!) and we can hack out xxx

still not decided anything about sharers... just weighing up my options for the winter