Instructor ignoring me in group lesson

fell_rider28

New User
Visit site
So I've got this instructor, and she's really nice, but she only focuses on one person in our group lessons (there's usually 4 of us).

I thought it was a one off, but it kept happening. A few days ago it was just me and the attention girl, and i thought it would be 50/50, but out of an hour I only got 10min of her talking to me.

My horse can be very....trying...but sometimes he goes like a dream. Then crashes to a halt and won't do anything. I said that he blocks me and I've tried everything, but she just got angry with me and left to go pay attention to the other girl.

So I was left for 10min just walking round the arena? Like, she got the other girl going over 4ft spreads, and she just asked me to record, then yelled at me for getting a bad angle.

So it seems that whatever I do, she gets mad with me? Any tips/help?

be positive

Visit site
It doesn't sound as if you are getting much out of the lessons so look elsewhere, if it is your own horse you would benefit more from private lessons anyway, if it is a RS you either need to get in a different group with another instructor or find another RS where they don't have favourites.

CoachinaCar

Visit site
Find another trainer.

Or if you really want to stay with this one ask if you can have a quiet word with her before the next lesson and ask her if she still wants to teach you and explain how you are feeling. Either she will be keen to put things right or she will be worse towards you which tells you she doesn't want to work with you anymore.

Perhaps she just doesn't know what to do to help you, in which case she should be honest and pass you on to someone with more experience and not take your money.

McFluff

Visit site
Sorry to be blunt, but you need a different instructor. I’ve been in group lessons like that, felt that I liked the instructor, so stuck with it. But the reality is that I was wasting my money (and time).

Shay

Visit site
If you really like the instructor can you get private lessons with her? You will always progress further and faster in a private session anyway. But I find changing instructors from time to time - even if you then come back to a previous one - can really help. Its good to get a different viewpoint.

M&M&G

Visit site
I too would change, I do not think it is professional. Fair enough if the other person is having significant issues but that should be a one off and they should have private lessons for a while. This has happened to me once before and it was quite deflating, it felt as if me/my horse were not very interesting and beyond hope so not worth the input! This, on top of not getting my money's worth - I didn't repeat the experience

JillA

Visit site
Are you stuck with her because of the yard/the others in the group? Maybe you could do the "can I have a word" thing and tell her how you feel. Be assertive and point out that your aren't getting any meaningful instruction for the money you are paying and you might have to find someone else if she can't change?

Mule

Visit site
I would leave. The instructor sounds like a nightmare. I don't get much from group lessons anyway, unless there's only 2 or 3 in the group. I find larger group lessons ok for jumping but more so as a social thing.

I find with large group flatwork lessons you either work to the lowest ability of the group or worse, attempt to work to a higher level without proper instruction on how to do it. Which is frustrating as, even if you understand the aids you get little attention on how to fix what you have problems with.

Last edited:

mcnaughty

Visit site
WOW! That is awful - seriously change instructors immediately. Your local RC or PC will be able to put you in touch with someone far more professional!

alexomahony

Visit site
This sounds awful and not good for you, your horse or the horse riding industry - imagine a newbie coming in and having this experience... they'd be put off which is sad.

A good instructor should advise, guide and build yours and your horses confidence, certainly not ignore you.

I find this often happens at clinics when your horse is going well and popping through all the questions easily you loose the attention of the instructor, or you just get a 'same again'... I'd rather they nit pick on small things if the big things are going right... position or a 'it's so easy in 4 strides, put 5 in next time' or something.

You need to find a different instructor and, if your own horse maybe go private. x

Farma

Visit site
what kind of situation is this? are you going to a private group clinic with this instructor or is this within a riding school she is hired by?

honetpot

Visit site
Every instructor has a repertoire of solutions to problems, the more experienced they are the more chance they have of changing tactics to enable you and the horse to do your best. I think your instructor is showing inexperience and frustration and if you can not change her, I would get a really good book on riding, a classic no fads, read it in side and out three times, practice on hacks and get a friend to check your position and approach. You and the horse will be happier and you will save money.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So I've got this instructor, and she's really nice, but she only focuses on one person in our group lessons (there's usually 4 of us).

I thought it was a one off, but it kept happening. A few days ago it was just me and the attention girl, and i thought it would be 50/50, but out of an hour I only got 10min of her talking to me.

My horse can be very....trying...but sometimes he goes like a dream. Then crashes to a halt and won't do anything. I said that he blocks me and I've tried everything, but she just got angry with me and left to go pay attention to the other girl.

So I was left for 10min just walking round the arena? Like, she got the other girl going over 4ft spreads, and she just asked me to record, then yelled at me for getting a bad angle.

So it seems that whatever I do, she gets mad with me? Any tips/help?

I have had this when training for my stage 4 - The I instructor could not be bother with me as I am D and thus slow learner. She used to say in the lesson ** go work in on your own while I teach Kathy and Karen. Needless to say after a few months of this I left and gave up with my stage 4.

As others say tell YO or change instructors, you do not need to be belittled and treated this way. If they ask say " Well it is obvious you have no intention teaching me or encouraging me further so I will find someone else more appropriate and teaches the group as a whole and divide the instruction equally and not single me out "

Last edited:

Bob notacob

Visit site
An instructor has to spend as much time watching a pupil as talking to them, actually it is probably 75% watching and 25% talking , add a couple of other pupils and your one hour suddenly seems like a few minutes. I assist a friend with a bhs approved rs,on occasions. . We understand the problem of instructor/ pupil ,time . So I as a completely lacking in paper qualifications person (however possibly having been there ,got the t shirt , had said t shirt ripped off by sundry horses)I work with the trainees under the supervision of the instructor. We attempt to give every one equal time. I leave the serious stuff to she who must be obeyed and tidy up the others . At the end of the day we argue over a glass or two of wine about our methods. It seems to work.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im not sure I would call an instructor "really nice" but in the same breathe say that she gets "really mad" with you and ignores you! Thats not really nice! I would use someone else!

jj_87

Visit site
Find another trainer, you need someone to help you and not just get mad with you! Spend your money on someone worthwhile.