Insurance Companies - Done to death I know - Loss of Use

Zaps

Visit site
Hi All,

So I know this will have been asked a gazillion times but - Who do you insure with?

I have two horses : 15.2 ^ year old PRE, hack, school, fun ride and hunt (which whacked the £££ up hugely - Understandably)
15.1 2 year old Sec D Colt. Goes nowhere does nothing at present

I want vets fess for both. Loss of use on the Spaniard (I think - don't I?!)

Currently with SEIB and pay £98 a month for both but in November it is increasing to £115 despite not having claimed etc for either horse.
I have found SEIB fab, claimed for a horse several years ago, we ended up losing him sadly but through the whole process there were fantastic and very quick to settle any invoices sent etc. Maybe I should just suck it up and pay the additional.....

Just had a quote from Petplan that was for less vets fees than I currently have but £128

NFU are getting back to me with a quote..... Who else is out there?!

eggs

Visit site
I don't bother with loss of use as I have found that it really whacks the premium up and depending on who you are insured with the percentage payout varies depending on whether you keep the horse or have it pts.

I am with NFU and where having my horse being pts met with BEVA guidelines they were very good to deal with. It doesn't matter who you are insured with, if the pts does not meet BEVA guidelines they will not pay out.

Zaps

Visit site
I don't bother with loss of use as I have found that it really whacks the premium up and depending on who you are insured with the percentage payout varies depending on whether you keep the horse or have it pts.

I am with NFU and where having my horse being pts met with BEVA guidelines they were very good to deal with. It doesn't matter who you are insured with, if the pts does not meet BEVA guidelines they will not pay out.

Yes - We didnt meet BEVA guidlines so there was no pay out. But I knew that before PTS decision was made. The vets fees etc were settled within a matter of days from me sending the invoice.

Zaps

Visit site

Replied twice. Ugh :eek:

conniegirl

Visit site
Unless the PRE is worth in excess of about 10k the lou insurance is just not worth it, proving loss of use is a nightmare and they will only generally pay a %age of market value.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Unless the PRE is worth in excess of about 10k the lou insurance is just not worth it, proving loss of use is a nightmare and they will only generally pay a %age of market value.

^^ this
I don't bother with LOU, just full vets fees to a decent max amount per incident and a modest market value as mine are all cheapo projects anyway. The class of use nudges the premium up a bit but can't be helped.

Zaps

Visit site
Ok, Thank you. So loss of use I will do away with - Insured for £7k

Now who do you all suggest to insure with?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont insure currently but when I did it was SEIB as well OP and I also found them brilliant - I claimed max vets fees then loss of use which they were excellent about. I used NFU prior to them and wouldnt touch them with a bargepole personally. Yes its expensive insuring for loss of use but I think worth it, people say they dont pay out much but I basically insured mine at the time for £8k, they paid out £5k vets fees then gave me £7,500 - only taking off £500 for "slaughter value", they initially offered £1k less but I went back and provided evidence (cut out adverts showing all others were actually worth far more than I was asking) so they upped it no problem.

Last edited: