Insurance for Broodmare

Renvers

Visit site
I am planning to put my mare in foal next year and wondered if there were any good Breeding, Mare and Foal Insurance Policies that you good folks could recommend? A search brought up some old posts from several years ago but would appreciate any recent experiences or policies people are using. Currently building up credit on my account with the Vet but appreciate any additional cover other eventualities.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
As a breeder of Irish Draughts for 15 years, none of my mares or foals were insured - it's just too expensive and with too many exclusions. Natural cover is the riskiest part of breeding - but excluded from both stallion and mare policies. I don't THINK you can cover a foal in-utero - and let's face it, you can spend thousands just getting to that stage. And I'm pretty sure you can't cover a mare for foaling difficulties. A foal must be 24 hours old before it can be insured. It might be worth talking to a couple of the 'better' companies: I use KBIS for Employer Liability, Public Liability and stud buildings, machinery etc. and have found them good in managing claims.

TheMule

Visit site
Most general insurance policies will cover a mare for foaling which is really the biggest likely cost. It is expensive to insure foals in there/ before 48hours old but possible, although they don’t technically carry much value at that point

Abi90

Visit site
My mare is covered for foaling on her normal policy, I just rang the insurer and let them know she was in foal

This is the last year she will be insured though as she’s excluded for everything!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My mare is covered for foaling on her normal policy, I just rang the insurer and let them know she was in foal

This is the last year she will be insured though as she’s excluded for everything!
this is what I did. a few weeks after foal was on the ground I cancelled the policy and insured foal instead.