International velvet and horsey films

ropa

Visit site
I would loooove to watch this again. I can't seem to find a copy I can buy online. Does anyone know where to get it from? Which other good horse films are there out there?

PingPongPony

Visit site
black beauty obviously :D I really like the horse whisperer although it makes me cry. Secretariat is also really good, as is Seabiscuit. Theres also one thats called Dreamer, that again, makes me cry. Flicka is ok too. Hidalgo is good.
Here's a boxset of 4 horsey movies including international velvet. Its from america but seems quite a good price :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Bea...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item2c7bb70c5c

3Beasties

Visit site
Virginias run
Wild hearts cant be broken
Touching wild horses
Running free
Dreamer
Secretariat
Seabiscuit
Shergar
The black Stallion
Black Beauty
Flicka
Into the West
Champions
Follyfoot
War Horse
The horse whisperer

International velvet can be bought here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Hor...207&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=international+velve but you need a multiregional DVD player to watch it on. They can be bought pretty cheap though and are well worth having as many of the DVD's I have listed above are only viewable on multi regional players too.

I have a draw full of 'horsey' DVD's, they are the best!

Last edited:

tankgirl1

Visit site
National Velvet and International Velvet were my most absolutely favourite films as a kid!!! Tatum O Neal made me try peanut butter and 'jelly' sandwiches haha!

2ndtimearound

Visit site
One of my favourites is 'The Man From Snowy River'.

I think there may have been a 'Return to Snowy River' too, and I'm fairly sure there was a TV series but I don't think that was as 'horsey' as the film.

ribbons

Visit site
Phar lap, must have watched it dozens of times. The slow motion shots still make my skin tingle.
Best horse film ever for me.

katherinef

Visit site
Phar lap, must have watched it dozens of times. The slow motion shots still make my skin tingle.
Best horse film ever for me.

Phar Lap is my all time favourite too.
Also Ruffian (available on youtube it wasn't a cinema release)

I also enjoyed International Velvet and the Alistair Sim one Escape from the Dark about the pit ponies though that's almost impossible to get hold of. Also known as The Littlest Horse Thieves.

Dreamer515

Visit site
Ruffian (though you may need some tissues for that one) its a brilliant film about an american filly in the 70s.
Phar lap is brilliant aswell.
there is a film called Coyote Summer that i used to watch when i was younger. cant find it anywhere now but that was good.

bexcy-bee

Visit site
Chatter happy ponies ;) loves those series lol

National velvet and international velvet where my favorite films as a kid!

Also, there was one about an American barn, 2 girls, one had badly broken her leg from falling off, and was just getting back into barrel racing, the other was a spoilt brat, who changed when her expensive horse broke - does anyone know what that was called?

Bexcy-bee x

Dreamer515

Visit site
Chatter happy ponies ;) loves those series lol

National velvet and international velvet where my favorite films as a kid!

Also, there was one about an American barn, 2 girls, one had badly broken her leg from falling off, and was just getting back into barrel racing, the other was a spoilt brat, who changed when her expensive horse broke - does anyone know what that was called?

Bexcy-bee x

yes i think it was called second chances? or is that the one with the dressage horse that goes blind and the lady with the dodgy leg? ive seen the film you are on about and its bugging me now.

also forgot to mention early a film called Moondance Alexandra...not brilliant but was ok

Last edited:

bexcy-bee

Visit site
yes i think it was called second chances? or is that the one with the dressage horse that goes blind and the lady with the dodgy leg? ive seen the film you are on about and its bugging me now.

also forgot to mention early a film called Moondance Alexandra...not brilliant but was ok

Second chances! That's the one, thanks :)

Bexcy-bee x

Meems

Visit site
I would loooove to watch this again. I can't seem to find a copy I can buy online. Does anyone know where to get it from? Which other good horse films are there out there?

I managed to get a copy either off ebay or Amazon a few years ago. It had a bit of a dodgy case cover which had been photocopied so must have been a copy, but it did play alright. I leant it to someone and never got it back.

It's strange this film is not more ready available, the bit when they're all on the beach at the end always makes me cry!

fallenangel123

Visit site
Love international velvet!
Was shopping in Watford once with a friend who had walked up to the post office while I went elsewhere. I was just going back to meet her and was about 500 yards away when she waves a letter in the air shouting 'Sarah they've chosen you, they've chosen you for the Olympics!' most of the high street looked at me, several people clapped and wished me good luck, I just wanted to die there and then!!
Still makes me cringe now and that was over 20 years ago, cheers Janet!!

2ndtimearound

Visit site

DragonSlayer

Visit site
...and as well as the movies, what about the photo-stories in magazines back in the day? Dodgy stories about kids in riding schools and ponies, doing things we would cringe at these days! (jumping ponies on really hard ground without a boot or bandage in site, over really dodgy jumps, made out of old chairs and anything they could get their hands on for the pictures!)

Those were the days.....

...but regarding National Velvet and International Velvet, always bugged me that The Pi changed from a chestnut gelding with a white blaze to a dark bay stallion....amazing that.... :p

katherinef

Visit site
...and as well as the movies, what about the photo-stories in magazines back in the day? Dodgy stories about kids in riding schools and ponies, doing things we would cringe at these days! (jumping ponies on really hard ground without a boot or bandage in site, over really dodgy jumps, made out of old chairs and anything they could get their hands on for the pictures!)

Those were the days.....

...but regarding National Velvet and International Velvet, always bugged me that The Pi changed from a chestnut gelding with a white blaze to a dark bay stallion....amazing that.... :p

I used to love those photo stories!

Yes you need a bit artistic licence and imagination to create International Velvet but hey ...

anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhdrFH1cp3I

Bazzel

Visit site
the Thrills 'n'Spills DVD series are so good! And Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmarron, a cartoon but so sweet, makes me cry just listening to the music from it, so worth watching. Oh and Racing Stripes! Not quite horsey but a good laugh

p87

Visit site
How do you know if you have a multi regional DVD player? Loved National Velvet as a kid, would love to get it, and have heard great things about Phar Lap but never actually seen it!