International Velvet

Tnavas

Visit site
An old, old boyfriend of mine was the person hired to transport the horses around, and in one brief shot is seen at a distance leading the mare/foal across a field.

It's rather a cute movie. Love the original National Velvet, my friends daughter has a copy and knows the script for all the characters by heart.

happyclappy

Visit site
Love National Velvet , International Velvet not quite a good. I read the book National Velvet long before seeing the film...but the film did not let me down.

Have a great evening:)

lar

Visit site
How did the Pie end up as not a piebald? Makes a bit of a nonsense of his name really!

Adore National Velvet the book - it's one of my all time favourites. Can't stand the film

International Velvet however is one of my guilty pleasures - hugely corny but love it anyway

Capriole

Visit site
Was he a piebald? I thought not. I thought he was a bright chestnut with a blaze and stockings. Don't remember him being piebald. In the film anyway. Never read the book but if hes a piebald in the book that makes sense.

eta: That doesnt make sense if he was a piebald and raced in the National anyway, did they allow coloured horses to run under rules back then? *shrugs off her lack of historic racing knowledge and goes for a cuppa*

Last edited:

tankgirl1

Visit site
Was he a piebald? I thought not. I thought he was a bright chestnut with a blaze and stockings. Don't remember him being piebald. In the film anyway. Never read the book but if hes a piebald in the book that makes sense.

eta: That doesnt make sense if he was a piebald and raced in the National anyway, did they allow coloured horses to run under rules back then? *shrugs off her lack of historic racing knowledge and goes for a cuppa*

I remember him as a slightly chunky bright chestnut in National velvet (film), then he was a bay TB in International Velvet lol!

Who cares - I loved both films as a kid, would love to watch them again!

Capriole

Visit site
I remember him as a slightly chunky bright chestnut in National velvet (film), then he was a bay TB in International Velvet lol!
!

Yes, I remember him changing colour for that, lol.

I'm not a fan of National Velvet at all, I'd have watched it and enjoyed it as a kid because, you know. Horse. But I couldn't sit through it now.

International Velvet though, fab.

NZJenny

Visit site
In the book National Velvet, the horse is very definatley a piebald. Have never seen the movie - but I'm sure Hollywood did it's worse!

Fools Motto

Visit site
The Pie in National Velvet was the sire of Arizona Pie in International Velvet. ''Sarah's'' Aunt ''Velvet'' rode in the national, hence the connection, and had the stallion, Arizona Pie being his last offspring? - That's how I read it. As for colour of The Pie, I don't have a clue (although he was chestnut with 4 whites in the film I saw?!)

Arizahn

Visit site
A good synopsis of 'National Velvet' here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Velvet

He definitely was Piebald but doesn't mention if he was gelded

National Velvet, Chapter Four (page 61 of my copy):

"Isn't his neck thick?" said Edwina.
"Bit," said Mi. "Bin gelded late."
The piebald, whose desires were gone, had kept his pride. He walked after Velvet like a stocky prince.

Yes, he was a piebald gelding, whose breeding was unknown (discussed later when Mi and Velvet are registering him for the National). The blacksmith jokes about the horse having been not properly gelded during the selling of the raffle tickets in Chapter Three, but it is described as him "having his joke". So it could be believed that Pie was perhaps a rig, but I have issues believing that he was a stallion. It was my main gripe with the sequel, tbh.

NZJenny

Visit site
Apparently Monty Roberts is Liz Taylor's riding double in National Velvet.

I read National Velvet again as an adult, and it is quite different to reading it as a child.

NZJenny

Visit site
That I find a bit suspect as Monty was born in 1935 and the movie was made in 1944, that would make him just 9 years old

Monty remained undeterred from his vision and later became a champion Western horseman. Hollywood hired him as a “stand in” rider and stunt double for stars such as Elizabeth Taylor in National Velvet and many other films. He even worked with James Dean during the pre-production and filming of the acclaimed movie East of Eden - See more at: http://www.montyroberts.com/ab_about_monty/ab_about_monty/#sthash.EbYYRmSz.dpuf