Into a dressage test

Haffenden1987

New User
Visit site
I'm doing our first dressage test on my mare who's a 16.3 Cleveland bay. She's 21 (doesn't know it or act like it) but she's been at a hunt yard most of her life so schooling is something new. We can get a outline in some parts in trot and same with canter but walk it doesn't happen. Have had physio, vet, saddle and teeth all done. Now lunging in the pesoa which is helping. My question is in the into test is the outline really important? Like what are the judges looking for?

Cowpony

Visit site
No, at intro level they will not expect your horse to maintain (or even achieve) a lovely uphill outline. In fact, they seem to prefer it if you don't fiddle around trying to get the horse on the bit and let it go long and low-ish. I write for dressage judges sometimes and the comments at intro level are usually about accuracy (shape and size of circle etc), the horse not being forward/engaging its back end enough, or tensing/hollowing and coming above the bit during some movements. I have never had a judge comment that the horse wasn't in a nice outline, although that is a product of some of the things above of course. Give it a go - I think you'll be surprised!

Welly

Visit site
Have fun and please post you exeperiance on the Cleveland bay open forum Facebook pages we love to hear about CBs out and about.

Farma

Visit site
No outline not important it's about accuracy and rhythm mainly. If the test flows and is harmonious you will score well.

If you're looking to improve your horse working from behind into an outline the Pessoa may be worth reconsidering x

Haffenden1987

New User
Visit site
Thanks guys for your response. I have a lesson tomorrow with my instructor using the pesoa. She's just a bit hot headed. After we have done our first trot she forgets what walk is ha ha. What is the correct attire for a man to where in dressage?

Cowpony

Visit site
Roughly the same as for women - either tweed jacket, shirt, tie and beige breeches, or black jacket with stock shirt and stock, beige or white breeches. You must wear gloves and BD rules say light coloured gloves are preferred. It's more important what your horse wears, or doesn't, so make sure you know the rules. No martingale, boots or bandages, or bit rings. Must be in a snaffle. Fly bonnet only if competing outside.

Last edited:

Haffenden1987

New User
Visit site
Roughly the same as for women - either tweed jacket, shirt, tie and beige breeches, or black jacket with stock shirt and stock, beige or white breeches. You must wear gloves and BD rules say light coloured gloves are preferred. It's more important what your horse wears, or doesn't, so make sure you know the rules. No martingale, boots or bandages, or bit rings. Must be in a snaffle. Fly bonnet only if competing outside.

If I'm wearing black jacket with white breeches can I not wear a tie?

Cowpony

Visit site
I'm sure it will be fine. Strictly speaking it's not correct, but the judge will be marking your horse, not your turnout, so as long as you are tidy nothing will be said. I do have a friend who wears that combination in unaffiliated competitions.