Introducing a baby to my dogs. Tips, please.

prosefullstop

Visit site
I'm currently pregnant and due to give birth in August. Has anyone on here had experience of introducing a newborn to dogs? Stella will be eight and Prince nearly seven by the time the baby is born.

soloabe

Visit site
Get there commands down 100%
Sit, down, stay, back, leave are all super important

Get them use to being in a separate room from you

Play baby. Get a doll or something and wrap in in a blanket (if you can get one that smells of someone new all the better) and establish your boundaries. Such as you can sniff baby feet but you can't sniff baby face or no nudging on the baby ect ect

CAYLA

Visit site
What KT said, also get things set up a good month before hand, so they can get used to the presence of prams, cots, whatever stuff babys use:D
If you dont want them on chairs, now would be a good time to keep them down, maybe a baby gate on the kitchen if you want to sart gettting them used to time out.
The doll as suggested is a good idea.

Ommadawn

Visit site
I have absolutely no experience of introducing a new baby to an established 'pack' such as yours, but I do remember reading an article about doing so when I was in college. The thing I remember and thought was an interesting point was that when you first bring the new baby home you shouldn't carry it in to greet the dogs, in case they view it as their pack leader bringing home something to eat!

I'm sure the more experienced dog people here will put me right if that advice is a load of old rubbish - or if there is any truth in it.

Congratualtions by the way - best wishes for a trouble free pregnancy, a safe delivery and a peaceful meeting of dogs and little one x.

prosefullstop

Visit site
Thank you for the responses.

OmmaDawn, that sounds a bit terrifying :O I have read that it's a good idea to bring home a blanket or similar in advance of your arrival home, so that the dogs can get used to the smell of a baby.

soloabe

Visit site
I have absolutely no experience of introducing a new baby to an established 'pack' such as yours, but I do remember reading an article about doing so when I was in college. The thing I remember and thought was an interesting point was that when you first bring the new baby home you shouldn't carry it in to greet the dogs, in case they view it as their pack leader bringing home something to eat!

I'm sure the more experienced dog people here will put me right if that advice is a load of old rubbish - or if there is any truth in it.

Congratualtions by the way - best wishes for a trouble free pregnancy, a safe delivery and a peaceful meeting of dogs and little one x.

I don't buy into this at all. Dogs are not stupid they are aware that a baby is a human and not a slab of steak.

melanie99

Visit site
Congratulations on your pregnancy first of all and I hope all goes well. My little girl is one next week and when I first found out I was hving her I was worried how my vizsla would react as she is our first baby lol. When we took Eilidh home we let Bramble sniff her when she wanted to and didn't make a big fuss about it. Just remember to give your dogs plenty of attention so they don;t feel jealous. Eilidh now pulls Bramble's ears and paws etc but Bramble is so good with her and if gets fed up just gets up and walks away. Just make sure there is always an escape route for the dog and don;t leave them alone together. Fairly obvious I know!

All the best
mel xx

quirky

Visit site
I had one of these when mine were babies and it proved invaluable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babydan-Play-Pen-Room-Divider/dp/B0000AQVGB

Rather than having to scoot the dogs out if I wanted to nip to another room, I used to pop baby in here, safe in the knowledge that the dogs couldn't get to them.

My OH wasn't so diligent and after feeding our eldest whilst she was in her bouncy chair, went to get a cloth to wipe her face. When he got back, her face was clean because the dog had cleaned her up :eek:.
I can see the funny side now, but at the time I certainly wasn't amused.
Our dogs have never so much as growled at the girls though, we have been very fortunate that they are very good natured.
In fact, one of them is quite protective of the girls and has been known to growl if anybody came too close to the pushchair.

prosefullstop

Visit site
Congratulations on your pregnancy first of all and I hope all goes well. My little girl is one next week and when I first found out I was hving her I was worried how my vizsla would react as she is our first baby lol. When we took Eilidh home we let Bramble sniff her when she wanted to and didn't make a big fuss about it. Just remember to give your dogs plenty of attention so they don;t feel jealous. Eilidh now pulls Bramble's ears and paws etc but Bramble is so good with her and if gets fed up just gets up and walks away. Just make sure there is always an escape route for the dog and don;t leave them alone together. Fairly obvious I know!

All the best
mel xx

I know what you mean about "first babies". My two have been spoilt rotten over the years, although they have a clear sense of boundaries and both meet young children on a daily basis (we live in New York City, and kids are always looking to say hi).

I'm very lucky in that we have a dog walker, so she'll be increased to five days a week, and hubbie will initially take on the early evening walk duties, so exercise won't be an issue.

And lots of pats for my first borns ;)

Your little girl's name is lovely, btw.

littlemisslauren

Visit site
First of all Congratulations!!! I have read this thread with huge interest because I am a broody old hag and I'm desperate for a human sprog!

For everyone else, do you think the whole baby thing would be easier for two dogs to cope with rather than just one?

Llewellyn

Visit site
Pips was 3 years when she met Harry at 3 months so first time greating was just Harry in his car seat in the garden where Pip previously lived and she did the 'you have no food I don't care' and trotted off.
Now Harry is 8 months he is crawling, after the dog, mainly but she has the chairs to get on or go upstairs to avoid him. We also have a play pen/baby jail so he can be contained.

Pip despite being spayed and never having had puppies is surprisingly maternal. She has always brought him her toys if he is crying and won't ever dream of taking food off him even if he drops it from the high chair and she does curl up on his rocking chair next to his cot sometimes while he has his afternoon nap.

We are teaching him not to go near her so he gets an 'away' when he crawls to close and he is starting to get it, but Pip just looks smug.

Pip is very protective of Harry and I in the house and on walks. If there is a noise downstairs and OH is away she stands at the top barking with her heckles up same if we meet undesirables on walks, very out of character.
Things are smoother when OH isn't around and we aren't competing for attention.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Congratulations Prose . Look forward to some great photos as your photos of darling Stella and Prince are fantastic .

When I had my son ( many moons ago , he's 21:eek:makes me feel so OLD though I'm only just on the downward slide to 50:rolleyes:) I have to say I didn't do any prep on getting the two dogs ( collies - bearded and a border) used to babies . When I got back from hospital I expected them to stay on their beds until I got sorted out ( what a load of junk you have to haul when you have one tiny baby!!) and then invited them forward to smell him and they were fine . They spent most of the day on the farm so exercise was not a problem . I have never shut my dogs away from me in the house mainly because at the time I had the two children we lived in very old large houses where all the rooms lead off each other,so not practical and anyway they are family . The first thing any dog in my house learns is bed so if they are in the way they go straight away . Also in my house the dogs are not disturbed on their bed by anyone ( if I want to do something to them , treat ,worm etc. I call them forward off their beds , so then they always have a peaceful time there) . The children were NEVER allowed to disturb the dogs when they were sleeping and were also never allowed to use them as toys , I provided them with toys ( Upchuck in a plastic factory springs to mind:rolleyes:) . They learnt from the get go that the dogs were to be treated with respect and I have to say I never had any problems with the children or dogs and their interactions . But I'm a bossy old mare and in my house what I say goes!:eek::D;)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Well I had 3 GSDs in the house (and another 2 outside) when I first brought my daughter home, and tbh just used common sense,as in the good advice above. Although I don't subscribe to the thinking that dogs would think you were carrying a steak, I didn't take her straight into the house when I came back from hospital. I left her in the car with OH and went in first to greet my other "babies", I had been away for a week and didn't want my first meeting with them being one of me saying down,leave etc. Once they had settled we brought her in, in her car seat, placed the seat on a chair and introduced the dogs. They all checked her out and then settled down, though were very interested when she cried (which was a lot:(). My eldest bitch became the baby's self appointed slave and guardian, to the extent that she wasn't too keen on strangers picking her up so had to be kept out of the room when we had visitors. Main thing is never to leave a baby in the room with dogs, far better to be safe than sorry.

Booboos

Visit site
I've read this thread with interest as I am expecting my first baby in June and have been wandering about the dogs. My dogs all have different personalities, so I think I will need different strategies. One dog is quite unset by loud noises and needs to go off to a safe place, so I think he needs an escape route if the baby cries. The GSD is a born baby sitter and looks after all visiting children and puppies! My main plan is to have baby gates and a baby pen so that the dogs are never left unsupervised with the baby, a bit like I have done with puppies and crates before!

On a slight tangent, I've been reading on how to try to prevent asthma and allergies while pregnant and in the young child and apparently two or more indoor dogs during the baby's first few years reduce the chances of asthma occurring!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Re asthma, when my children were young their primary school took part in a nationwide survery to look at asthma in children. We had to give details of childrens home life, pets, farm animals etc (rural area). When the results were collated nationwide it seemed that the children who grew up amongst animals, domestic and farm, had far fewer cases of asthma than the ones brought up in more sterile environments.

prosefullstop

Visit site
I don't have asthma but I do have a tree pollen and cat allergy. I'm hoping that bubs will take after my husband, who is allergy-free, and if not we'll be leaving apartment life for good.

Congratulations, Booboos. Hope you're enjoying your pregnancy.

Booboos

Visit site
Thanks prosefullstop, you too!!! 'Enjoyment' is not a word I would use to describe the experience so far, more fatigue and nausea, but I appreciate the sentiment!!! Hope yours is more enjoyable!

The study claimed that something called endoxins stimulate the immune system and this prevents asthma, and dogs have endoxins.

prosefullstop

Visit site
Ah, yes. I've never known fatigue quite so draining. Not too bad on the nausea front, although my appetite has dwindled to that of a bird. I can't face anything remotely resembling dessert, nor cheese, but have found sanctuary in citrus fruits, brown rice, pinto beans and boiled eggs. What dull cravings, eh?

reddie

Visit site
We had a 4 year old red setter when i had my eldest daughter. the main thng i did was to put a baby gate up at the top of the stairs a few months before my daughter was born, as the dog used to sleep at the top of the stairs so she had tme to get used to staying n the hall. It was also useful as when she was havng a bath/bed etc the dog was confined to down stars. The dog was very mardy about the baby for the first few months and used to sulk. However she came round and absolutely loved the grls, especially when they fed her their food from their highchairs. Altho the dog was very soft, i never left the children alone with her. Good luck

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I see your dull cravings and raise you pain rice, plain pasta, boiled potatoes, oranges and milk!

Anyway, sorry to hijack, will keep quiet now!

For the first 3 months of my pregnancy I had terrible morning sickness, I ran my bitch in the agility ring at Crufts and had to keep running out of the ring to the loo to throw up:eek:! I lived on liver pate on toast and orange juice, a few years later they decided pate was one of the things pregnant women definitely shouldn't eat.:p

Ommadawn

Visit site
Have only just caught up with htis thread - and realised that I should have added that the article did say to get someone else to carry the new born in - not put it through the letter box :)

Would also like to point out that I was only repeating something I had read, not necessarily subscribing to it. I knew that there would be plenty of genuinely experienced dog owning Mums and Dads out there to advise you...

melanie99

Visit site
Thanks prosefullstop we thought it was a nice name too lol. How far along are you? I was never sick but felt really queasy but it passed then ended up with slight asthma later on but it's disappeared now I've had her. Bramble always knew her boundaries too and we were lucky as my sister in law has two kids who she's been brought up with so interaction with young kids helps too. She never used to bark but now when someone comes to the door she barks as if its her baby she's protecting so cute! Keep me posted on how you get on.

Mel xx

prosefullstop

Visit site
Thanks prosefullstop we thought it was a nice name too lol. How far along are you? I was never sick but felt really queasy but it passed then ended up with slight asthma later on but it's disappeared now I've had her. Bramble always knew her boundaries too and we were lucky as my sister in law has two kids who she's been brought up with so interaction with young kids helps too. She never used to bark but now when someone comes to the door she barks as if its her baby she's protecting so cute! Keep me posted on how you get on.

Mel xx

I'm only ten weeks, but I've already had my first scan, heard a heartbeat and have a 3-D snap :) in NYC, most doctors like to do the first scan at eight weeks.

Yesterday, we met a little girl on the street who cried "Puppies!", came rushing over, then tried to pick up my dogs! Luckily Prince licked her hand and Stella rolled on her back, so if they do that with strange kids, I think we might be okay with our own.

melanie99

Visit site
I'm only ten weeks, but I've already had my first scan, heard a heartbeat and have a 3-D snap :) in NYC, most doctors like to do the first scan at eight weeks.

Yesterday, we met a little girl on the street who cried "Puppies!", came rushing over, then tried to pick up my dogs! Luckily Prince licked her hand and Stella rolled on her back, so if they do that with strange kids, I think we might be okay with our own.

That's great. Time will fly by. Like i say all the best and keep in touch. My brothers girlfriend went into labour today so waiting to hear good news. Yay!
Mel

buddylove

Visit site
I think the best advice is to have somewhere the dogs can escape to, my JRT always has the kitchen to escape to, and we have always had a baby gate up since he was a puppy as I can't be doing with having the dog on the bed!! When we bought our son home, Buddy (the dog) stayed in the kitchen and then was invited to meet him whilst baby was in his Moses basket, from there it was just a gradual adjustment for Buddy, and through the crawling and pulling phases he was quite tolerant, but would often give me a look to say "get this kid off me, now"
Now son is 2 and a half and sits or lies on the floor with Buddy, often telling everyone that Buddy is his "best friend", although Buddy remains unconvinced :)

PerdixPerdix

Visit site
oh god you have ages then.

Weirdly i think my terrier knew. She veiwed him with the same look she veiws most things, he was beneath her and not worth a look.
but the cocker was a bit like ''oh so you are that lump that kicked me every time i snuggled up to mum..'

i brought him into the pack at mums in his car seat, let them all have a sniff, got him out and let them have a sniff, put him on the floor and let them have a sniff. The cocker wanted to play, the other cocker sniffed him and stole his teddy the third cocker was too obsessed that he hadnt seen his daddy for over an hour and couldnt give a sod about anything else and the other terrier was like 'hmmm, what are you' and he gave a yell and she sh*** herself and hid behind me.

Now when he walks in the room or is in the vicinity they know at some point he will drop food but will also grip onto their ears like a vice so its like a stealth recon mission.

I think the best tips are, fuss the dogs as soon as you see them, the worst thing to do is ignore them, gets off to a great start, and when you do let the baby near them dont be on edge so that they get nervous too. it needs to be relaxed and chilled. the baby will smell of you and i think dogs do 'know'.