Introducing a new horse to the herd

SEL

Visit site
Baby cob will be 4 tomorrow and has been with me 2.5 weeks. Gelding, nice natured and only shod in front. He has been in a separate paddock with the fence line gradually being moved towards my other three. At the weekend we introduced him to my gelding in one of the rested fields and once he worked out that Great Uncle Mills was more of a Victor Meldrew than someone who wanted to play with him they've got along just fine.

Too much grass for either of them to stay in there 24:7 and Mills needs to go back with the mares overnight to stop a meltdown - and that's where my dilemma starts. Currently newbie goes back into his little introductory paddock overnight, but I'd really like them all in together.

My mares are not making that easy. Big mare (built like a tank, unshod) is the jealous sort and has been known to chase little mare around when there are new horses even in adjoining fields. She had a strop when the baby turned up then came heavily into season and decided she adored him. I was hopeful that would pass and it has - only for little mare (shod behind) to escape the electric fencing and spend the night hanging out with baby. Little mare is now massively in season and squirting in the direction of the baby cob which has turned big mare into an anxious mess.

How would you do intros to the mares? Turn baby cob out with them one at a time under close supervision?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
To be competely honest I would turn all four out together in ample space and supervise for a couple of hours once little mare is out of season. If he is friends with the other gelding, and the big mare has accepted him or got over her infatuation I think it should be alright.

dorsetladette

Visit site
My most hated time is introducing newbies. We still have 2 separate fields of ponies currently as livery pony hates poor little Reggie.

We've had success with walking ponies out together and then bringing them home and popping them in a field of yummy grass together. By the time they've strolled out together for half an hour they seem to have 'got over' most issues. We stop in gate ways along the bridle path so they can graze within face pulling distance whilst been on the end of the lead rope.

Good luck!

SEL

Visit site
To be competely honest I would turn all four out together in ample space and supervise for a couple of hours once little mare is out of season. If he is friends with the other gelding, and the big mare has accepted him or got over her infatuation I think it should be alright.
I did wonder about chucking a muzzle on big (fat) mare and turning them all out into the rested field on the basis that they'd all be so busy stuffing themselves that they wouldn't argue.

@dorsetladette that's not a bad idea for big mare and the newbie. I'm less worried about little mare and the newbie because she'll just go weak at the knees (literally!) and declare her undying love but the big one is a bully.

dorsetladette

Visit site
we haven't walk little Reggie out with livery pony yet as Reggie has only just started to walk nicely on a headcollar. He's also not seen a lot of traffic and we have a 60mph road (bus route, busy country lane) for about half a mile before we get to our bridleways so I've been a bit apprehensive do it. But, this week end I think we're just going to have to get on with it. He's been here nearly 3 months now and although it was good to have the babies separate to start with as it was easier to feed him more, its now become a bit of a pain not been able to rest paddocks.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Baby cob will be 4 tomorrow and has been with me 2.5 weeks. Gelding, nice natured and only shod in front. He has been in a separate paddock with the fence line gradually being moved towards my other three. At the weekend we introduced him to my gelding in one of the rested fields and once he worked out that Great Uncle Mills was more of a Victor Meldrew than someone who wanted to play with him they've got along just fine.

Too much grass for either of them to stay in there 24:7 and Mills needs to go back with the mares overnight to stop a meltdown - and that's where my dilemma starts. Currently newbie goes back into his little introductory paddock overnight, but I'd really like them all in together.

My mares are not making that easy. Big mare (built like a tank, unshod) is the jealous sort and has been known to chase little mare around when there are new horses even in adjoining fields. She had a strop when the baby turned up then came heavily into season and decided she adored him. I was hopeful that would pass and it has - only for little mare (shod behind) to escape the electric fencing and spend the night hanging out with baby. Little mare is now massively in season and squirting in the direction of the baby cob which has turned big mare into an anxious mess.

How would you do intros to the mares? Turn baby cob out with them one at a time under close supervision?
I would never put a new horse in to a herd without intro period first. We do a week separation then gradually introduce the new horse to the herd.

IMO for the sake of the week what harm will it do.

We just had a new livery move in and just done our intro week and now in with its group. No injury to anyone

1. Reduce the risk of injury
  2. Gives the new horse a chance to move away if it wants too.
  3. less chance of ganging up on new one
  4. New one wont cornered

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

My mare was turned out in a 30 acre field with 8 horses. Did not stop her getting picked on and kicked which resulted in surgery, 3 months box rest and a shattered splint bone in 19 pieces.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would never put a new horse in to a herd without intro period first. We do a week separation then gradually introduce the new horse to the herd.

IMO for the sake of the week what harm will it do.

We just had a new livery move in and just done our intro week and now in with its group. No injury to anyone

1. Reduce the risk of injury
  2. Gives the new horse a chance to move away if it wants too.
  3. less chance of ganging up on new one
  4. New one wont cornered
OP has already done a longer period of introduction though?

i think i'd go for the yummy grass OP and hope they are all too busy chomping to pay each other much attention.

Merrymoles

Visit site
You could maybe try ringing the changes and turning him out with the big mare for a while, then swapping to the small mare for a while. Then, by the time they all go together, they will all know each other. It might also give both mares time to stop being tarts with the new boy ;)

SEL

Visit site
So far so good. Blazing sun yesterday and some grass to distract everyone. The Appy is herd leader and made sure mini cob knew it but thankfully just chasing him off when he got in her personal space.

He is very, very pleased to be out with everyone but I'm not sure they're all sharing his puppy like enthusiasm!!!
IMG_20220514_192904_094.jpg

dorsetladette

Visit site
@SEL I'm so glad it went well.

We put Reggie out with the herd again on saturday. We opened all gates and fenced off any corners he could get caught in as livery pony chases him :( he can't catch him but Reggie tends to run into corners he can't get out of (not very bright). OH said I turned the field into the wall of death! But it all went pretty well. I think Reggie has learnt a bit about herd living by being in a field with Robin for a while and only seeing the grumps over the fence. Livery pony chased him away a few times and then he stayed at a safe distance, if he got to close he was pushed away gently, robin played with him and then popped back to the others and then Reggie and B stood in the shelter out of the sun together. We then separated everyone before food was around to upset everything.

I think I worry as Reggie is so young and vulnerable, but steps in the right direction were definitely made.

Hope you continue to have a happy herd too.

SEL

Visit site
@SEL I'm so glad it went well.

We put Reggie out with the herd again on saturday. We opened all gates and fenced off any corners he could get caught in as livery pony chases him :( he can't catch him but Reggie tends to run into corners he can't get out of (not very bright). OH said I turned the field into the wall of death! But it all went pretty well. I think Reggie has learnt a bit about herd living by being in a field with Robin for a while and only seeing the grumps over the fence. Livery pony chased him away a few times and then he stayed at a safe distance, if he got to close he was pushed away gently, robin played with him and then popped back to the others and then Reggie and B stood in the shelter out of the sun together. We then separated everyone before food was around to upset everything.

I think I worry as Reggie is so young and vulnerable, but steps in the right direction were definitely made.

Hope you continue to have a happy herd too.

Its always such a relief when there isn't a major meltdown. I couldn't see the baby cob this morning so had a minor rise in blood pressure before I realised he was hiding from the rain in the shelter - and breath again....!

Good luck with your lot. I always want horses living as a herd but it doesn't stop me worrying..

Fjord

Visit site
Glad it went well OP!

I've heard about people swapping poos, so the horses get used to the smell of each other, has anyone tried that?