Pictures Introducing - Captain Grant!

Sleipnir

Visit site
Today Captain learned to recognize letter "A" and to distinguish it among other letters, as well as to categorize, choosing between not only "yellow" and "blue" among similar frisbees, but also between blue and yellow objects that otherwise look nothing alike. This makes him smarter than a normal 2yo human. :D Hoping to get this on video soon.

Cognitive exercises is something I've been doing with my big lad for a long time and he's much further ahead than Captain is now - but it's so exciting to pick up a new horse and see that it's not unique to meet a horse who's exceptionally talented when it comes to recognizing colours, letters, words, pictures, counting and so much more.

Sleipnir

Visit site
My big geldings' saddle was sitting around and Captain was very interested - sniffing and touching it. As I had done some preparations in previous sessions with introducing him to an empty sack or a saddle pad on his bag, I decided to challenge him a bit.

The saddle by his side? Pff, easy? The saddle brushing against him? Is that all you got?! The saddle hovering over him on both sides? Bring it on!

Finally, I carefully placed it on his back (without girthing, he's yet to meet that) and...he could not have cared less. :D Grass was his utmost priority and he didn't even mind the saddle sliding and falling of from both sides (controlled by me, of course). Got LOTS of praise and scratching, of course! It's almost as it's too easy, but I'm not letting my guard down, as I've seen too many a time what a good impersonation of a flying kite he can make. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_215848_418.jpg
    IMG_20200722_215848_418.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200722_215848_417.jpg
    IMG_20200722_215848_417.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 30

Sleipnir

Visit site
Sounds like he is doing really well! He's so gorgeous too!

Thank you! He's a really genuine boy - just loving all the attention and "work". Of course, all the sessions I do are no longer than 15 minutes by this point and, when I back him, it will be no earlier than his 4.5-5th birthday. Totally not pressured to get on and train/ride - he'll get all the time in the world, if he needs it. :)

Sleipnir

Visit site
Went on an in-hand hack again, today with his little 2yo girfriend, who is of a very different temperament - much calmer and collected. On our way, we encountered a Big Puddle. As you know, youngsters and inexperienced horses are often afraid of Big Puddles.

Not Captain. :D

He dragged me towards it, then into it. He blew bubbles. He then pawed at the water and splashed until himself, his fly rug, and me were muddy and wet. He then tried to roll in the mud and squealed at me when I did not allow. Later, he looked back at the glorious Puddle with longing and deep sorrow, as I urged him to walk on, as our buddies were already in the distance.

Feeling so sorry that I didn't have a chance to film his antics, as I was doubled over laughing at the circus. :D

During the hack, I also discovered that he loves wild blueberries. Not picking them, though. I have to pick them, while he stands there, impatiently poking at me with his nose. Both of us were black and blue after this - no bruises, of course. Just blueberry juice all over our faces and my hands.

Sleipnir

Visit site
71877438_560832787986437_8613777819475902464_n.jpg

Pic for attention. :D Last Christmas Captain gave me a not-so-nice surprise - he came back from the field lame. He had sprained his adductor muscle in his left hind, and was very much in pain. Luckily, with some care, he recovered seamlessly, however, I noticed, that, since then, he had developed a bit of a drag in the toes of his hind feet. So, naturally, I got a chiro out.

Turns out, at the event of injury, he had slightly popped his left hip out of place. The hip was popped back without an issue and, magically, he does not drag his toes anymore. :) In two weeks time, he will have a vet approved massage/accupuncture session to seal the deal, but I'm very glad that this issue was caught early on and we won't be dealing with the consequences much later in life.

The chiro was very pleased with his nice behavior and, as being a vet who specializes in reproduction, expressed regret of him being gelded. Oh well... :D As a recovery regimen after his treatment, we got a schedule of timed walks in hand, which have to be active and marching, so I'm using this occasion to ensure that Captain knows - walks with a human mostly mean activity and some effort, unless specified otherwise. :D He's catching on well.

Sleipnir

Visit site
As per the chiros' recommendations, my big lad, Snicks, was on his fourth day of rehab exercises yesterday, and so was Captain. Snicks was prescribed a 40 minute hack in an active, stretchy, marching walk, and Captain had to do the same, only in hand. I didn't feel like doing first one, then the second, so the decision was made - Captain was going to get his first ponied hack with only Snicks and me in company, no other horses or people, and the first one that active and long.

Although he napped a little at the beginning, because we met another horse from our yard, returning from a hack, we sorted that out soon. I'm using groundwork and ponying to teach him well that even the slightest tickle of a whip behind his girth area means "go!", and, although the first steps months ago received a dose of protest and tantrums (he's good at those :D), he now really gets the idea and moves forward nicely. As a result, we had a really nice hack in such an active and swinging walk, that I often contemplated if I'd be able to hold tell both of them off if they decided to canter home. :D

Here's a little, blurry video of the process. I need to get a better phone/camera soon...
And to think that Snicks and Captain only met 3 months ago! I'm extremely pleased with the relationship they've developed.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Naughty, naughty, naughty! Captain used that one moment when the electrified fence was turned off, to lead Plum (a 2yo Welsh filly) and Amulet (a 3yo WB gelding) out into the woods... No fences ripped, they just dove through. Naughty buggers!