Introducing Lari

Birker2020

Visit site
Aww lovely Lari is all mine! We collected him on Friday afternoon after a terrible journey up the motorway, the motorway was closed due to an accident, our friend saw it after it had just happeend, and whilst we were queuing for the junction we saw the air ambulance.

My friend who runs the livery yard where I kept Bailey took me up with her and two of her horses as she wanted to give them a run around the XC training field at Sommerford Park before Bicton later this week. So we met the rider who’d gone in her own car to Sommerford met us there. So after she’d ridden and gone we had a quick trip to the saddlery shop whilst I bought Lari a new headcollar and some bits a pieces. Then it was on to collect him from his lovely owner. She gave me a saddle cloth with his show name on and his over reach boots and a list of all his requirements and dates when he’d been shod, vaccinated, etc which was really helpful and of course the all important passport!

He happily walked onto the lorry with the other two eyeing him up and travelled very well. I let his previous owner know when he’d arrived and sent her a couple of little photos/videos the next day which she was really grateful for and yesterday I sent her a message asking her what bit he was in as he came with no tack and I couldn’t remember what she’d said. She text me back saying she was dying to know how we were getting on but she hadn’t felt she could text me so I told her to text me anytime and come and visit when he was settled in.

Tonight it’s the saddle fitter visiting. I have two saddles of my own to try him in – I really hope they fit. If not my friend has a Fairfax and a Bates for me to try as well. I’ve not dared ride over the weekend in case they pinched him and it scared us both, so I lunged him instead both days (only for 10 mins) and he was as good as gold. Mum came for lunch yesterday so we took her up with us and she really likes him. The only thing he does is kick the door every now and then when its feed time and he tends to mouth everything and pull. Its only in play and there is no malice so I’m trying to set boundaries but at the same time I’m reluctant to tell him off. He will get there, its all new to him. He’s lovely to lead out and loves a fuss and sticks out his tongue when he wants a treat and likes it if you play with his tongue when he sticks it out, he’s daft!

When I turned him out he went mad, galloped up and down the field three or four times – it’s a long paddock! But he was fine, tail upright and prancing floaty steps. But he soon settled down and introduced himself over the fence to the other horses, ears forward - no nastiness at all which was lovely to see. Yesterday afternoon I put him on the walker for 20 minutes, he was fine, I thought he would be. Partner has sent me a video this morning of him eating his breakfast and of him in the paddock 'helping' him repair a post in the paddock next door! I've tried emailing them to me at work but they've not come through, we have issues at the moment with our wifi, we are waiting to be hardwired in on site. It's annoying as I'm dying to share them with you, there's nothing very exciting lol. I can't even share a FB video as I don't have my original login details with me so can't do it via work.

I keep imagining what it must be like for him to be plucked from everything he has known for the past year and 'kidnapped' by someone he has only known ride him for a few minutes and taken to a strange place with strange people. I can only imagine how I must feel but I'm trying not to let him know I feel that way.

I was there before staff arrival time both Saturday and Sunday mornings but got them to feed him along with the other horses so he could start to get into a routine. Next week he has the dentist visiting him and I am meeting him there after work. On Wednesday this week he has the farrier coming for a chat, he was last shod around 8th October so won't need doing for another 3 1/2 weeks, he's on a 5 week programme so I will keep him on that like I did Bails. I got him insured, its £95 a month which isn't too bad, that's with SEIB. NFU wanted £171 a month for exactly the same cover! It pays to shop around.

Its so nice to spend all day at the yard, Saturday I was there 7 hours and yesterday nearly 10 hours. I feel exhausted as I've not been mucking out or carrying out horsey tasks for so long but it's lovely to be back in it all again and with my friends, who I have missed.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Sadly not so plain sailing with the saddles. The saddle fitter came out last night, I tried my Jefferies Falcon Event saddle and it didn't fit, nor did the Isabel dressage saddle. Then we tried two more belonging to my friend and neither of those fitted either. So the saddle fitter and I decided to get a new Wintec until he's muscled up and gained a bit of top line and then when he's matured physically we can go for an Albion or something similar.

I was so dissapointed that I couldn't ride him, and even more dissapointed that the Jefferies that my Dad had given me money for didn't fit and I would need to sell it. Has great sentimental value.

I got home and text my friend whose saddles I'd tried to let her know how I'd got on and she said 'did you try on the Wintec and the other synthetic I have?" Doh. In my dissapointment I'd completely forgotten about those so the saddle fitter is going to try and come back tonight and see if either fit before she orders me a new one.

Never mind, Lari is worth waiting for, till I get a new saddle. I'm glad I didn't try him over the weekend in either of mine if they didn't fit.

We have our whole future to think of so a few more days won't make any difference and I can long rein and lunge in between.

Lexi_

Visit site
Ah that’s annoying. I assume the Jefferies is never going to fit him?

Your friend sounds great though! Allllll the saddles ? Fingers crossed that the Wintec fits.

Fjord

Visit site
That's such a shame about the Jeffries but fingers crossed you get something sorted soon. He's a lovely looking boy, congratulations!

Bernster

Visit site
Great update, so happy for you. It’s frustrating about the saddles but it does give you some down time to get to know him and settle him. It took a few weeks before I could get Bertie sorted but it sounds like yours might be a bit quicker.