Introducing Lindeza (lin-day-za)

Jayzee

Visit site
So happy I have now found this thread! She is just gorgeous and Ludo too. I can't wait to see all the future updates!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well.

I have just ridden her.

She has been here thirteen days. She's been ridden for ten of those, starting at five minutes and working up to fifteen this afternoon.

She didn't need the steps moved to get on her. I'm doing the (short) girth up while on her. She is working on the track. She has all the transitions between halt, walk, trot and canter. Her down aid is a slight squeeze of the knees, even from canter to trot. She does leg yield and a square halt. She changes bend from inside leg into outside hand.

This is simply astounding. I don't know how much is due to her being Spanish and how much to the fact that she is already seven. I just know I've never known a horse learn like it.

palo1

Visit site
Well.

I have just ridden her.

She has been here thirteen days. She's been ridden for ten of those, starting at five minutes and working up to fifteen this afternoon.

She didn't need the steps moved to get on her. I'm doing the (short) girth up while on her. She is working on the track. She has all the transitions between halt, walk, trot and canter. Her down aid is a slight squeeze of the knees, even from canter to trot. She does leg yield and a square halt. She changes bend from inside leg into outside hand.

This is simply astounding. I don't know how much is due to her being Spanish and how much to the fact that she is already seven. I just know I've never known a horse learn like it.

Happy, healthy, responsive horse with a sensible outlook, clear and fair requests; that much is and should be 'normal' :) Lovely for you and should be a far more common experience tbh. Lovely to hear.

ycbm

Visit site
I've backed a fair few over the years, she is something else entirely.

ycbm

Visit site
Exactly. That is a Spanish horse.

But, you must be careful, they really are too smart ?

The one thing she hasn't yet learned is to put herself in her box to eat her breakfast. If I catch Ludo, she doesn't follow, she goes and tries to put herself into the barn. That's where she goes after she's had breakfast/been ridden. Is she so clever that she knows that's where she's going to end up eventually, and thinks she might as well go straight there?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
So true.:eek::D
Memories like elephants as well....

YES. Mine remembers EVERYTHING. I was just discussing this "struggle" with a friend. She suggested an exercise and I told her it probably wouldn't work with this horse because his memory is too good ? she agreed. I really have to ride his brain, not his body.

The one thing she hasn't yet learned is to put herself in her box to eat her breakfast. If I catch Ludo, she doesn't follow, she goes and tries to put herself into the barn. That's where she goes after she's had breakfast/been ridden. Is she so clever that she knows that's where she's going to end up eventually, and thinks she might as well go straight there?

Ah, that could be it! ?

I've taught mine the command of "box" and he goes in when I snap my fingers and point to it. The stallion I used to ride and his stallion friend knew this command too (had to walk one through the others paddock to get it out). So I don't know if you should associate it with a command? Or if that works in your set-up.

Now, I will say, mine is smart and lazy. So he too might go directly into the barn in an effort to save himself some steps ? hoping that *I'd* be smart enough to feed him in there and save him the extra "work" of going into his box and then the barn. Mayne she's trying to train you. ?

Shady

Visit site
YES. Mine remembers EVERYTHING. I was just discussing this "struggle" with a friend. She suggested an exercise and I told her it probably wouldn't work with this horse because his memory is too good ? she agreed. I really have to ride his brain, not his body.

Ah, that could be it! ?

I've taught mine the command of "box" and he goes in when I snap my fingers and point to it. The stallion I used to ride and his stallion friend knew this command too (had to walk one through the others paddock to get it out). So I don't know if you should associate it with a command? Or if that works in your set-up.

Now, I will say, mine is smart and lazy. So he too might go directly into the barn in an effort to save himself some steps ? hoping that *I'd* be smart enough to feed him in there and save him the extra "work" of going into his box and then the barn. Mayne she's trying to train you. ?
Your post made me laugh CC. I say '' in your house'' and he knows exactly what I mean but because he is sneaky greedy as well as smart, he'll dawdle a bit in the general direction just when he's feeling a bit rebellious and then i'll say '' in your house...now'' and those legs start flying all over the place as he hustles his arse back properly . He is so funny and extremely naughty. No malice in him at all but everything is a game to him outside of ' work ' . You can play chase with him for hours ( if I had the energy ) He loves it and tries to hide behind trees thinking you can't see him.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Your post made me laugh CC. I say '' in your house'' and he knows exactly what I mean but because he is sneaky greedy as well as smart, he'll dawdle a bit in the general direction just when he's feeling a bit rebellious and then i'll say '' in your house...now'' and those legs start flying all over the place as he hustles his arse back properly . He is so funny and extremely naughty. No malice in him at all but everything is a game to him outside of ' work ' . You can play chase with him for hours ( if I had the energy ) He loves it and tries to hide behind trees thinking you can't see him.

"...and those legs start flying all over the place as he hustles his arse back properly." That cracked me up! Too true. I told mine to move into his paddock the other day, and he stood at the gate a moment, and I was like, "as in, GO, as in NOW" commense legs scrambling...err the Spanish Shuffle as I call it, and him moving promptly into his paddock.

Shady

Visit site
"...and those legs start flying all over the place as he hustles his arse back properly." That cracked me up! Too true. I told mine to move into his paddock the other day, and he stood at the gate a moment, and I was like, "as in, GO, as in NOW" commense legs scrambling...err the Spanish Shuffle as I call it, and him moving promptly into his paddock.
Hah. The Spanish Shuffle. Love it !
Iv'e literally just called them down to give himself some apple cider vinegar and the field slopes towards me. The Arab came down neatly at a smart little canter. The Spanish lump threw himself down the slope with the front legs waving all over the place , clods of earth flying everywhere and then dramatically slammed on the breaks at the last moment with a lot of head tossing , which would look absolutely amazing if he had an impressive mane ...he doesn't . It is pathetic. If he knew just how desperate it was, he would have a phobia!

ycbm

Visit site
As a test before hacking out, I took her up the road in hand to see how she reacts to things. We were lucky with our timing and got passed by a few cars, no issue, and a camper van with barking dogs which she was only mildly concerned about. I stood her by the junction to the main road as some motorbikes roared past, no problem. She seemed very happy to be seeing new things and she didn't rush for home when we turned and went back.

Everything seems very positive for having her happy to hack alone. OH is busy for a few days, and i would like him to walk with me the first time, but it should be some time this week.

I took Ludo out on an hour's hack and she didn't react too much as we left or when we got back, and she hadn't sweated up or trashed the stable while we were gone. I thought separating them would cause far more trouble than it does. Bonus!

Question -

why is Ludo frightened of Aberdeen Angus but not Hereford cattle?

ycbm

Visit site
First argument today!

I can't walk close to that white guttering you've got just outside the boards there.

You can.

I can't.

Well you're going to.

I won't.

You will.

Oh all right then!

?

I got onto the steps today and brought her to me instead of taking her to the steps. Perfect. I can junk the steps and use the mounting block now. She worked hard for 20 minutes and it was warm so she was very sweaty, and had her first shower while she's been here. She wasn't thrilled, but she just stood there.

I was very pleased today to see that the missing heel plane on her left fore, (which I'm pretty certain will have been blown off by an abscess), that I think was responsible for a long toe on that one foot, is definitely growing in. I'm a bit relieved, if it hadn't i would have needed to shoe her and with feet like little bricks that's the last thing I would have wanted to have to fuss with.

Ludo had the day off, he did a fairly tough (for him) hack yesterday with a lot of hills including a good long trot up a steep hill towards home. A friend just pointed out, because she's not seen him in a while, he's growing new spots!

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
First cuddle caught on camera! I'm so pleased for Ludo, Muffin wasn't a friendly horse.

1646449_2020-06-15-16_21_20-jpg.49890

Attachments

• 1646449_2020-06-15 16_21_20.jpg
    1646449_2020-06-15 16_21_20.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,564

Flame_

Visit site
:D
First argument today!

I can't walk close to that white guttering you've got just outside the boards there.

You can.

I can't.

Well you're going to.

I won't.

You will.

Oh all right then!

?

Lol, lucky you, when my horse says no it escalates from

You will

To

As if, come on then if you think you can make me, you know what I can do, this isn't going to end well for you...

I get off and lead :D

She does sound just as lovely as she looks. I'm happy for you that your pressured horse hunt worked out so perfectly!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Sums up the argument I had with mine today regarding his complex about having to do work after having a short time off, then coming back into light work. The more time off he gets, the lazier he is. But I think I am the same way when it comes to work sometimes, tbh ?

I find that they'll push you a bit to see where they can get, or what they can get out of!

ycbm

Visit site
She's either got her feet under the table or she's in season because she was a bit silly a couple of times today and had to be reminded of her manners, (using my voice only). I think probably the latter, judging by how much I'm seeing of Ludo's willy, thankfully in a floppy state! I'm always pleased to get a good view to check for sarcoids or worse.

I've been working on his mouth lately, holding the contact no matter how much he messes with it. He's had some right neck twisting tantrums about it, but after a few days I can feel it paying off, and he was really lovely in trot and canter today. He's developing some real power now that he will work forward to a contact.

Deza was refusing to be placed at the block for me to mount, so I touched her bum on the off side with the whip. About as light a touch as it's possible to do, less than I have used when on board. She went bananas trying to get away from it! So the first five minutes of our lesson this morning was being touched all over with the whip and praised for not over reacting.

She was getting too strong and too much wall of death in canter right, legs flying at a rate of knots. Half halts were getting no response other than to pull more, so I released the reins instead and immediately she settled. Less is always more with her.

They are a wonderful pair!

I'm going to start a new thread next time, so Ludo can share the title :)

Last edited:

tristar

Visit site
i have one who positively hysterical at some things occasionally , i just smile and take no notice, next day back normal

but she has a lot to learn, and they are or can be very reactive in a very sensitive way which takes you by shock