Introducing Lindeza (lin-day-za)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I took her out for her first hack today. On her own because I don't really have any option, and in any case I have always hacked alone because I like it, so she may as well start off that way.

So I'm all togged up with a set of L plates and she's got an orange exercise sheet on for the first time, I got on in the yard for the first time, pressed the key to open the gate ......

and she marched up the yard, out the gate , and up to the main road 500 yards away, bursting with curiosity about where we were going. She didn't call out, she didn't want to turn for home, and when we did turn for home after watching some traffic on the main road, she didn't go home any faster than she went out. For a horse who gets agitated every time her companion is taken out of the next door stable, she was remarkably unfazed about going out by herself.

It was a very promising start, and I'm beaming ?

ycbm

Visit site
Second hack today and she was right fidgety to do up the girth because she was so keen to get out of the gate.

We got caught in a fair old rainstorm. That's always a worry on a new horse, but she wasn't bothered. She did jump a puddle and try and skirt round some others, so I made her walk through one and then she was happily paddling down the stream of water running down the road.

She's a bit looky at the moment, but she doesn't spook, just shrug a bit, and she's really happy to keep going further from home and not over keen to turn back.

All very promising hacking wise.

For a horse who has lived out all her life, she is peculiar about the barn. She's locked in from 9ish to 6ish with a trug of straw and Ludo, but she's putting herself in for a lot of the night too. That's ok for her, she's a bit too fat, but Ludo is losing weight following her in. I really want them moving more, too. Tonight I've locked them out, and I was outside weeding and after ten minutes out, she tried to go back in again. She looked a bit shocked the gate was shut, but it's staying shut until she breaks the habit of being in there so much.

luckyoldme

Visit site
First cuddle caught on camera! I'm so pleased for Ludo, Muffin wasn't a friendly horse.

1646449_2020-06-15-16_21_20-jpg.49890
Its a really satisfying moment when you see that...georgous?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I took her out for her first hack today. On her own because I don't really have any option, and in any case I have always hacked alone because I like it, so she may as well start off that way.

So I'm all togged up with a set of L plates and she's got an orange exercise sheet on for the first time, I got on in the yard for the first time, pressed the key to open the gate ......

and she marched up the yard, out the gate , and up to the main road 500 yards away, bursting with curiosity about where we were going. She didn't call out, she didn't want to turn for home, and when we did turn for home after watching some traffic on the main road, she didn't go home any faster than she went out. For a horse who gets agitated every time her companion is taken out of the next door stable, she was remarkably unfazed about going out by herself.

It was a very promising start, and I'm beaming ?
But she wasn't by herself; she was with you......

Shady

Visit site
Second hack today and she was right fidgety to do up the girth because she was so keen to get out of the gate.

We got caught in a fair old rainstorm. That's always a worry on a new horse, but she wasn't bothered. She did jump a puddle and try and skirt round some others, so I made her walk through one and then she was happily paddling down the stream of water running down the road.

She's a bit looky at the moment, but she doesn't spook, just shrug a bit, and she's really happy to keep going further from home and not over keen to turn back.

All very promising hacking wise.

For a horse who has lived out all her life, she is peculiar about the barn. She's locked in from 9ish to 6ish with a trug of straw and Ludo, but she's putting herself in for a lot of the night too. That's ok for her, she's a bit too fat, but Ludo is losing weight following her in. I really want them moving more, too. Tonight I've locked them out, and I was outside weeding and after ten minutes out, she tried to go back in again. She looked a bit shocked the gate was shut, but it's staying shut until she breaks the habit of being in there so much.

So that's 2 more things the same as mine!
The love of hacking so they don't want to turn back . This is one of the biggest things that makes up for Preferido's slight lack of ground manners( being kind here) He will just keep going. He loves to stand and look at the views and is fascinated by so many things. Top of the list is water. He will play for hours, but be warned, mine would roll if I didn't keep him moving.

2nd thing. The barn. This is home and mine would be happy in his stable most of the time. You are doing the right thing , although i'm sure Deza wouldn't agree. I think I mentioned before that we can't leave P out. He literally goes mental and I have tried every way I can think of to make him accept it .
Make sure you have PRE proof catches on your gates too. Mine can open anything......and does!!!

tristar

Visit site
love hacking, want to go forever in happy swinging along mode, happy in stable or field, hates being not handled ridden etc just want to be part of your life

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
"PRE proof catches" are a real thing! I remember the first time I spotted a friend's stallion loose after he opened (still no idea how) his paddock gate and just wandered around the corner and was calmly eating grass. Could've gone a lot worse him being a young stallion, but food was his priority. The hay in his dry lot area was not satisfactory! I caught him easily and he calmly walked back as I secured his gate more thoroughly with some rope and chain. But that one is a real joker. Mine doesn't bother a fence or gate. He's also a total chicken, so there's that.

I'm so glad that Lindeza is working out so well. I can hack mine alone, but again, he's a chicken and does best in company. Mine will live out as opposed to in, but if the weather is good, I'd be inclined to close the barn too.

ycbm

Visit site
Well things are proceeding, though not always in a straight line :)

I couldn't get on today because she kept stepping backwards, putting me at her head instead of at her shoulder. She overreacted to being tickled with a whip and I didn't want to get annoyed with her so I just fetched the steps and moved the steps to her instead of trying to get her to the block. I was soon on board, but she twisted as I swing my leg over and I wasn't happy, so I got off again, and the next time she stood like a rock and got a lot of praise.

She is now completely ignoring the white guttering (dressage boards) which she never originally noticed and then copped a wobbler at last week, and then ignored after being told not to be silly. But now she is doing the same at the jump blocks on another side of the arena. She did it on Monday and was quietly and calmly made to walk and then to trot circles past them until she ignored them. It was a surprise that she did the same again today, and we went through the whole thing again until she ignored them.

On the plus side, she stutters, she stops, she twists and she tries to run past, but there is nothing violent or unseating about it.

I have some very bad news for her though. When she stops being silly about the blocks where they are, they are going to start moving to other places around the arena.

Tomorrow she's going to be on her own for three hours while we take Ludo out for a lesson. It's going to be interesting to see how she copes, and how Ludo gets on at his first lesson in four months.

Last edited:

Surbie

Visit site
Cobbus does the same at various objects - it gets a bit wearing every now and then till I remember how much of a dude he is about other things. Mine needs to have more things to think about to fill all the space otherwise occupied by worry. But I suspect Deza is vastly braver than him.

palo1

Visit site
Sounds familiar to me too...Young Welsh here stomps past diggers, buses (currently empty), peacocks displaying etc but will point blank refuse to go near a blowing leaf, making a huge display of spinning, snorting and belly crawling only, finally to agree that it is, after all a leaf and can be walked past without angst! At least it provides an ongoing conversation and provides a bit of mental and adrenal stimulation when completing even the most basic tasks...

ycbm

Visit site
Honeymoon is over ?

She's peeing me off starting every session being stupid about the jump blocks, then getting over herself and working fine, then throwing her toys out of her pram again because she's approaching them from a slightly different angle.

And now she has discovered that she has shoulders. BIG, STRONG shoulders. And that she can pop out her left shoulder and nap towards the stables. Trying to correct that brought on even more barging, and some head flinging, so she found herself on a square instead, where the shoulders are easier to control. Then we morphed that back to a circle, and stopped as a reward when she kept the bend.

She's a beautiful creature, just uneducated. I still can't quite believe my luck to have her.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Mine did the similar shenanigans. Still does ? but it's the price I pay for an intelligent and sensitive mount, I think. It's just about using those features to my advantage and not his!

Are you going to do any groundwork with her? Mine enjoys it. We did some quasi-clicker training where he learned to touch new things he was apprehensive about. He touched, stood, and got a treat, relaxed. He also knows various tricks, such as handing me a whip. He is not nippy in the least since he must look away/be out of my space to get good as a reward. Just a thought if you haven't already considered it. It seemed to tap into his needs of using his brain and getting to know "his person" and what I expect.

Visit site
Honeymoon is over ?

She's peeing me off starting every session being stupid about the jump blocks, then getting over herself and working fine, then throwing her toys out of her pram again because she's approaching them from a slightly different angle.

And now she has discovered that she has shoulders. BIG, STRONG shoulders. And that she can pop out her left shoulder and nap towards the stables. Trying to correct that brought on even more barging, and some head flinging, so she found herself on a square instead, where the shoulders are easier to control. Then we morphed that back to a circle, and stopped as a reward when she kept the bend.

She's a beautiful creature, just uneducated. I still can't quite believe my luck to have her.

Uneducated is better than educated badly ? sure you'll get her going. She sounds really bright so doubt it'll take her long to get the hang of things.

ycbm

Visit site
Third hack, longer today, half an hour with a big hill.

She's the only horse I've ever known who marches out of the gate while it's still opening, stomps down the hill and along the road, then refuses to turn for home and tries to dawdle all the way back!

She's not remotely concerned about being out alone. She's looking at stuff, but not doing anything silly apart from wriggling around like an eel while I'm trying to tighten the girth in the middle of the road.

But she is a hysterical beastie! The Latin temperament, maybe. She reminds me of Bruno Tonioli and Frankie Dettori ?

Without thinking about it I patted her neck gently after untacking her. She went wheeling off around the box as if I had an electric hand ? then kept running round in circles when I tried to touch her again. In the end I had to raise my voice and say 'stop!' to get her attention. She stood there shaking while I stroked her neck and when she calmed down I told her what a good girl she was.

Who knows what that was about! I didn't do anything I hadn't done a dozen times before.