introducing new pup to current dog. tips?

bex1984

Visit site
We have just put our names down for a terrierist pup... She will be a half sister to our 5 y o JRTx. She's 5 weeks old now, and will be coming home to us at about 12 weeks old. The plan is for our dog to go to his breeder for a few days (he goes quite often ananyway) to get to know new pup, and then just bring them home together. Does that sound sensible? We did something similar with my mum's dog who also came from the same breeder and I think that worked well.

Our dog is not great with dogs he doesn't know because he gets scared but always fine at his breeder's and with my mum's terrier (always been fine left alone etc).

We crate trained him, and I think we'll do the same for new pup - planning to leave them in the same room but with her in a crate at first. I work from home so I am usually here anyway.

We have a little girl who will be just 3 when pup arrives. She's very good and gentle so hopefully will be fine but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any suitable books for her age about looking after a puppy?

Any tips for settling new puppy in and ensuring smooth sibling relations?

All very exciting!!!

galaxy

Visit site
I'm in same boat too! Although my pup is due this week, so waiting to hear! Eek! My boy is 5 yrs too, although loves other dogs and puppies so I'm too concerned about his reaction. Pup is coming from about 5 hours away so no chance of us managing to do what you are doing, tbh I'm more concerned about our boy scaring the pup as the difference in size will be huge and gsps don't have a lot of control of their legs at times! But I'm just planning to supervise constantly and crate train. My boy is still crated now too.

Good luck! Look forward to photos! When will you be picking yours up? Going by due date ours will be around 17 June when it will be 8 weeks ��

3Beasties

Visit site
I picked my pup up today, she is tiny compared to my lab! He is very interested in her and not showing any aggression but he is a bit of a dufus, has no manners and doesn't realize his own strength so pup will be created when we are not around or very closely supervised!*I think he thought she was a toy when I took her in as he got very excited!
Hoping he gets bored soon!

bex1984

Visit site
Ooo exciting hearing about all these puppies! We haven't chosen ours yet - we met the whole litter and we'll go back in the next few weeks to choose which one we're having. I think there's only a choice of 2 girls though, and our little girl was making a fuss of one in particular, giving her kisses etc. I think pup will come home at 12 wks old - I'd like her to stay with her breeder for the extra few weeks if possible.

I'm waiting for the breeder to send me some pics of the litter!

Bellasophia

Visit site
I think you will be just fine.Ive just added a schnauzer pup to my home,with a 2 yr old ,male standard poodle .The one I'm protecting is the poodle..he's too gentle with mY now 5 m. ,mouthy pup.
However ,just th other day he had enough of her swinging from his ears and took the pup in his mouth,laid her down on the floor and pinned her for a minute. he growled so loudly...something that I've never ,ever,heard him do to date,and let her go as gently as he took her up.
she lay there with eyes wide open for a full minute ...and has been a lot more respectful ever since.

Last edited: