Irish Draught Horses

pistolpete

Visit site
Saw an ID foal today, to my shame I know nothing about the breed, what are they like? The dam is lovely only 15.2 I thought they were much bigger. He is a gorgeous mousey brown but the thinking is he may go grey. Thanks.

JenHunt

Visit site
from my (limited) experience of them they are wonderful horses to own - my Ron is (probably) IDx and he's a great, easy horse to keep, he's a heck of a lot of fun to ride, he'll have a go at anything... well, except dressage, where he's obedient but no more :D (it's just not our thing!).

JanetGeorge on here breeds IDs so she's probably the best person to tell you more about the breeding etc!

ebonyallen

Visit site
I have a 15 3 Irish Draught X T/B , I adore the breed they are known for being well grounded and are used for Police Horses.They have a great easy going temperament, they are known for being intelligent and have a gentle nature,noted for docility and their comnon sense,they have a great ability to jump and do well in all aspects of the horse world. The name suggestes a heavy type horse but not at all, go and have a look at the Irish Druaught Horse Society for more information. My girl is ~Fantastic, I am disabled and have lost my leg above the knee my girl seems to know and understand my needs and puts up with my failings, I was able bodied when I first got her and she has adapted since I lost my leg, I could go on and on, but would bore you and others to death,but they really are a great breed of horse :)

Megibo

Visit site
Yes they can very talented as you said,Ebonys dam was purebred and she was a great eventer :)

Ah I see. I'd never of thought so, they look so heavy. But i mean that in a good way, there is an ID at the riding school i sometimes go to. he's very well schooled and right gentleman! thinking about it, the instructor suggested i go back for a jumping lesson on him as he's good at it :rolleyes:

chameleon

Visit site
sorry to hijack post-but can purebred irish draughts jump?

OP my sis has a retired IDxTB but before he had his injury he was very talented, cracking horse

Well this is my new (had him 6 weeks) baby. We have had a few issues with him while he has settled into yard life but I can say hand on heart that there is not a nasty bone in his body - I have still to see him put his ears back at either a human or another horse!!. He really tries to please but is a bit slow on the uptake, but he is only a baby so hopefully as he matures this will get better. Oh and its his birthday tomorrow and he will be the ripe old age of 4.:D

picture.php

With regard to the jumping question I was a bit clueless of his breeding when I first saw him and those helpful people in the Breeding forum came up trumps with info on his lines. Apparently he has really good jumping lines which included Flagmount Diamond who if I remember rightly was one of the top 50 Elite showjumping sires in the world - this was the thread.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=457551

marmalade76

Visit site
I had a 3/4 ID 1/4 TB and he was fab. kind, genuine, unflappable and so easy to do in every way. He was, however, very keen and very strong! He was an excellent jumper, very bold and he never ever stopped.

bumblelion

Visit site
Iv got an id and he's great! Very bolshy though due to him walking over his previous owner! I'm now picking up the pieces, he's strong and he knows it! Very loving horse, loves company!! Moves really well and loves jumping!!

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
Am going to try not to be biased here :)
Yes they can jump - a number have made it to grade A, and plenty have made the grade but perhaps not A, if you see what I mean. They also event and do dressage. A proper draught will also have real movement, from behind, not the flash front end movement not driven by the engine. They are fantastic to work with. Easy, kind, forgiving and providing they are brought up well say yes to "please could you".
For me, one of the nicest things about them is that they can be hugely talented, but incredibly kind, so if they have a novice owner, hey ho, they still do their thing at the lower levels, but put a good jockey on and they will try their hearts out for you.

irish_only

Visit site
Iv got an id and he's great! Very bolshy though due to him walking over his previous owner! I'm now picking up the pieces, he's strong and he knows it! Very loving horse, loves company!! Moves really well and loves jumping!!

NOw that's just what I mean about being brung up proper!! Good on you, he won't take long to learn that you are not going to be walked all over.

SnowandSunshine

Visit site
I got my ID mare when she was 5 and I was a novice 18yr old. She is now 23 and has given me years of joy. She took me from being scared to jump a foot to flying over huge hedges out hunting and team chasing.
She is often a bit opinionated but is incredibly kind and intelligent.

She can be a really fun forward going ride and tank your arms out or she can plod along with a novice rider. I can trust her with my toddler on the yard and she does great pony rides for him and my friends kids.

I can't imagine ever being able to replace her but if I bought another horse it would definately have to have a lot of ID in it.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Saw an ID foal today, to my shame I know nothing about the breed, what are they like? The dam is lovely only 15.2 I thought they were much bigger. He is a gorgeous mousey brown but the thinking is he may go grey. Thanks.

well from my experience i have and IDx tb she is amazing all her life a doddle to break loving caring trusting honest friendly lovesss her jumping learnt western i would def buy again in fact if i could roll the clock back i would have put diamond to an ID stallion instead of a QH stallion. she is one in a 100000000000000

Last edited:

KautoStar1

Visit site
I have a pure bred ID by Beeston Lord Henry out of Lennox Lucy and he is the nicest horse I have ever owned. He is kind, generous, easy going with humans and horses, he was a stallion until he was 6 but you'd never know it, he is so well mannered. He's super to hunt, hack and he likes to jump and will do a nice dressage test as well.
I wouldnt swap him for anything :)

Lynnskatz

Visit site
I own a pure bred irish draught mare and can honestly say she is amazing :)
does a lovely dressage test, great at x country and bombproof hack and she is gorgeous - what more could you ask for :p

tinaub

Visit site
I was sooooo privileged to be able to ride Irish_only's ID stallion Connaught Grey to my wedding. I had never ridden a stallion so large before, and sidesaddle as well, so I was pretty nervous. He went right through a busy town on market day, there were shopping trollys and umbrellas and what seemed to be millions of people as well as all the market day traffic, and he never batted an eyelid. Afterwards we posed in a public garden which involved going through two narrow gates. He is a total star!!

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
I have an IDxWB - echo the bolshy and strong comments!!! Built like a tank and knows it!! Interestingly she also took a long time to settle into a new yard and really doesnt like change HOWEVER she has the kindest nature on the ground and very easy to do despite being HUGE at over 17.2!! She is like a pet dog!! And very amenable!

She is also (I think) extremely beautiful :). She has an enormous jump and fab paces - when she wants to!! its just about making her realise she wants to now!!!

One word of 'warning' if thats the right term - they do take longer than many breeds to mature so if you are getting a youngster don't necessarily expect to be out eventing with a 4yo - guess it depends a bit on what they are mixed with too - my IDxWB is 7 going on 4 - however I would by ID everytime!! Good Luck!

Ladylina83

Visit site
I have an ID x yearling who I home bred with my own TBxConny mare - I chose ID as to not dilute her jumping ability yet breed in more stability sanity and substance ! I have achieved all 3 of those things ! He takes everything in life very easy ( from the day he was born ) He has a fantastic personality and is a pleasure to own

irish_only

Visit site

In answer to this, they can be anything from 15hh upwards. If you are lucky and they stay under 15.1 you can do show and working hunter cob classes too :)

Trish C

Visit site
I adore IDs. Mine is officially ISH (ID x TB) but his only TB is on his grandsire's (on dam's side) lineage - and that grandsire is Clover Hill, who is widely considered one of the top ID stallions... so not too TB-ish then :D (Clover Hill: http://www.manufortifarms.com/famousirishdraughthorses.htm)

My fella's sire is Glenlara, who goes back to both Pride of Shaunlara (through Enniskeane Pride - see link above) and Ben Purple, another old prolific breeding line. Glenlara was a perfect example of how versatile the ID is:
http://www.oakhillirishdraught.com/page.asp?pageid=27

Monty is stubborn, grumpy, obstinate, very cheeky and wants everything to be done HIS way (e.g. dicking around until he decides that I can get on :rolleyes:). He likes to test me occasionally when I'm asking something new or difficult of him, but underneath it all he's very loving, soft and willing. He's a superstar when it matters (out on the roads, for vet/farrier etc) and I wouldn't change him for the world. :)

I've found with a lot of IDs that they're quite 'one-person' horses (Monty definitely is) and once they know you as their person, they get very attached... even when they show that little streak of ID cheekiness, there's never any badness in it :)

Kenzo

Visit site
I have ID cross WB but I'd really love a pure ID if I was ever to buy another horse, I like a horse of good build they suit me better (even though I love TB's as well...completely the opposite really) but my lad is quite a character, he has a very soft loving side, can be rather brave but can be a complete wuss at times too, really depends what side of the bed he's rolled out off, bit like any typical bloke really :D he can be like a bear with sore head with other horses however, but that's just him or down to his own breeding not the fact that he's part ID.

I enjoy his gait and feel like I've got plenty of horse underneith me even though he's only 16.1.

He was in he middle of having his mane and tail washed here, so not the best picture of him :eek:
IMAG0202.jpg

Tiny Fluffy Coblet

Visit site
I have had the pleasure of meeting both these stallions, pure RID

Creevagh Grey Rebal - a more 'modern' type, not massively tall and one hell of a jumper
http://idhsni.com/creevagh-grey-rebel

Diamond Design - more of an 'old' type to look at than Grey Rebal, competed successfully to 1.20m in Ireland. A lovely boy.
http://idhsni.com/diamond-design

I love ponies personally but if I was going to go for a horse a pure or part bred RID would be high up in the list.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Well this is my new (had him 6 weeks) baby. We have had a few issues with him while he has settled into yard life but I can say hand on heart that there is not a nasty bone in his body - I have still to see him put his ears back at either a human or another horse!!. He really tries to please but is a bit slow on the uptake, but he is only a baby so hopefully as he matures this will get better. Oh and its his birthday tomorrow and he will be the ripe old age of 4.:D

picture.php

With regard to the jumping question I was a bit clueless of his breeding when I first saw him and those helpful people in the Breeding forum came up trumps with info on his lines. Apparently he has really good jumping lines which included Flagmount Diamond who if I remember rightly was one of the top 50 Elite showjumping sires in the world - this was the thread.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=457551

lovely pony..............mine looks similar and is and irish draft cross, she went from just over 16 at 5 to 16.3 by seven, rugs went to a 7"3 and as for a saddle, we couldn't get a treed to fit so went treeless, so how big is your boy?

Ladylina83

Visit site
I have ID cross WB but I'd really love a pure ID if I was ever to buy another horse, I like a horse of good build they suit me better (even though I love TB's as well...completely the opposite really) but my lad is quite a character, he has a very soft loving side, can be rather brave but can be a complete wuss at times too, really depends what side of the bed he's rolled out off, bit like any typical bloke really :D he can be like a bear with sore head with other horses however, but that's just him or down to his own breeding not the fact that he's part ID.

I enjoy his gait and feel like I've got plenty of horse underneith me even though he's only 16.1.

He was in he middle of having his mane and tail washed here, so not the best picture of him :eek:
IMAG0202.jpg

Kenzo I never realised how lovely your horse is !! Very nice :)

spaniel

Visit site
This is my big lad. Pure ID by Blue Rajah. This was the first day we tried lateral work and I still get that smile everytime we are together.