Irish Draught Horses

Ranyhyn

Visit site
My mare has ID in her somewhere - well dubious ID in her grandfather Clover Hill, but she also has KOD lines so some proper ID in there.

My old ISH was 75% ID and he really jumped - anything! I will always choose an ISH over any other breed, I think you cant get a much better mix than the speed and ability of the TB tempered with the steadfastness and bravery of an ID.

TBB

Visit site
The Irish Draught originated as a working/draught horse on the land, unlike the UK the majority of Irish farms were small and rough and the horses that worked them had to be strong but agile. Because the farms were small, the farmers could not afford in most cases to have more than one horse and it had to be versatile, it had to work in the fields, carry the farmer where ever he wanted to go safely and comfortably, be placid and sensible and have enough quality to look smart under a trap bringing the family to Mass on a sunday or to the market. Most farmers had a mare (rather than a gelding as income was earned from a foal each year) and she got a few days off to have her foal and then returned to work, often she fed the foal in the am and went to work returned at lunchtime and fed the foal and worked until late into the evening before coming home to her foal at night. It is their versatility that has made them such super all rounders, the foals these working mares had were often by the local TB stallion who at that time would travel to areas cover the mares around and move on to the next area (the mares were too busy to travel!) . The draught was renowned for having a good nature and a brain which enabled them to find that extra leg out hunting or jumping hence keeping their riders safe. They are also very sound with a nice short shin and good feet and they are good doers which have to be watched like ponies to prevent them getting to fat.:D We've only had a couple descended from our foundation mares that were a bit dim and both were by warmbloods and one of them was the only one in the place with bad feet (maybe it was the cross?! ) Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
Here's my 3yo jumping for fun over a 3'9" oxer, and he's only 16hh

JumpingOxeraboveheight-1.jpg

scrunchie

Visit site
Just to balance out this thread:

I loaned an ID x TB and she was a total bitch!!!

But then, so was her owner. I was so glad to see the back of the pair of them. :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
I assume that op was asking about an Irish draught who had 'pure Irish' draught papers not an Irish draught / TB which is a very different thing and varies a lot in type and temperament .
We have a papered Irish draught at the moment and he is a lovely example of a the best things about this breed he is 16.2 quite square shortish legs his head is attractive is some what broad .
He has a calm but forward going temperament he loves hunting ( that's his job) he understand exactly what going on if the hounds speak he will automatically get ready for the off he's very clever and has learned to tailor his energy level to the intensity of the run so he paces him self well for a full day he will go on loose rien while the rider is a passenger or will listen to a more demanding rider he is a great jumper safe sensible looks after himself .
The not so nice things about him he knows exactly how big and strong he is and was a problem to lead and load when he arrived but he was quite an angry horse then now he the ultimate gent he is very funny we all love him .
The Irish draught IMO represented the ultimate all round horse when horses where still working animals they can plough a field pull a carriage to church and take you hunting all in one package physically they can do all these jobs and look good They 'do' very well which in the past was important but today can be a bit problem as you have to watch there wieght.
If you need a horse who can carry a bit of wieght I really dont think they can be beaten as the ultimate all rounder.

redredruby

Visit site
I have a RID and he is fab! Has a massive jump and really knows how to look after his legs whilst out hunting / cross country, he can get himself out of trouble in half a stride. He is always sound and never been lame which is good re: vets bills!

He is clever though, and when he gets bored can be naughty so I do need to be thinking one step ahead.

Would def recommend if you like hunting / jumping.

picture.php

Last edited:

redredruby

Visit site
The not so nice things about him he knows exactly how big and strong he is.

Completely agree with this, if he doesn't want to do something he knows how to use his strength (and shoulder!) to get out of it. He can position himself in exactly the right way to avoid you being able to put your leg on i.e. he will back up against other horses or cars!

jeeve

Visit site
can they jump... my 6 month old ISH jumped every thing, he jumped a 5 foot fence on his first go, I had to have a bar above his stable door to stop him jumping out. The Irish Draught is a rare breed, but on a % basis they are well represented at an elite level.

Kenzo

Visit site
Interesting about the colour change, I’m wondering if eventually my lad will grey out completely or will he always retain some darkness, people are always surprised that he’s still really dark for his age.:confused:

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
I tend to find that steel's don't grey out in the same way Kenzo: I see it much more on dappled horses.

I adore IDs: typically kind and willing, but never ever boring. IDs used to be the desired jumping/hunting/eventing breed, before WBs really took off, and before more blood was needed for XC. Even Milton was half ID!

Kaylum

Visit site
Having worked with breeding ID's and still loving the old fashioned compact type. My friend bought one and never got her graded. The biggest regret she has as she was by Parnell our of a Gold Coin mare. Hunts, jumps placid family friend as was our stallion. She is in my sign below the grey, she was black when she was born. With the stallion anyone could go into his box without a problem he was just a devil to catch in the field and the only way he would come in is if the pony appeared next to his gate. Remember with any horse its how they have been bred and how they are/have been taught and handled.

ash493

Visit site
so glad to read all these lovely comments about the breed. I've got a 7month IDx colt, bought because of the ID temprement. He's great and has settled in well. Going to be one of the big one's though, hoping he'll make a really nice allrounder

jaquelin

Visit site
My previous IDx in my signature, by Prospect Pride, whose bloodline is in a lot of eventing horses. He would jump (but not scopey) and was a huge confidence giver for my daughter, taking her via Pony Club through to BE, where he had some very respectable results. I always rode him in a snaffle, and don't feel he was ever strong, I could always bring him back. We started him at 6. I would agree not one of the more intelligent breeds, but incredibly honest and straightforward. His feet were perfect, although very large!
I just found a pure ID in the "old country" who is 4; for this breed is a little young so it will be awhile before he does alot. I agree with those about finding a 5-6 year old, nigh on impossible!! He is 15h3" at mo but am praying he doesn't get huge - we shall see, by Cork Arthur out of an All the Diamonds dam.

Kenzo

Visit site
One of the members on here who breeds ID’s and part breds, did have a few youngsters for sale (or still could be for sale), one in particular is an absolute beauty (from the photo).