Irish Draughts

marmite89

Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum & have started my search for an Irish Draught :) they seem to be like gold dust! Interested in your experiences of the breed in general & if anyone knows of a good one please let me know!

Asha

Visit site
I love the breed. But as with everything there are good and bad ones out there. Our 2 ridden purebreds are fabulous. Finn, is the most uncomplicated horse you could meet, does everything asked of him, and always with a ' oh go on then' sort of attitude. He is best on the XC field, and would take your granny safely round too. My girl is sharper and moves better than Finn, but not as easy as him, not naughty in anyway just a bit more forward thinking.
As AA suggested keep your eye on the FB groups, they do come up for sale on there, and sometimes on the breed society webpage

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
You will need a seriously healthy 5 figure budget to get one worth having.. or buy a yearling or younger, but even they're going for mid to high 4 figures from what I have seen on the ID Facebook Page.

ImmyS

Visit site
I bought my 3 year old RID gelding in March this year.

He’s a complete character! Super playful and into everything but on the ground and the little ridden work he has done he has been completely straight forward and takes on every new situation with a can do attitude. He moves well and I hope he’ll be fairly capable over a fence when he is ready.
He is a good doer and just generally has been very uncomplicated to keep.
I hope he will give me many happy years!

I bought him unseen for around the £4K mark over from Ireland as I couldn’t find anything I liked in the UK.

Attachments

• 430697E6-91B9-4BFE-A351-BEC3964D95D1.jpeg
    430697E6-91B9-4BFE-A351-BEC3964D95D1.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 60
  • FCD6E249-A857-4A4C-B3AE-7E3A7D1C679F.jpeg
    FCD6E249-A857-4A4C-B3AE-7E3A7D1C679F.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 60

Birker2020

Visit site
I trawled all the ID FB pages in my search for a horse before changing my requirements to a Irish Sports Horse and eventually a Holstein :p:p

Some of the prices for a 17hh 6 year old that could jump a course of fillers (not competetivley) and could hack out on the roads on its own were in the £15 - £17K category. It was totally nuts.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I have a very nicely bred RID. He is 13, I've owned him nearly a year and he is awesome. I needed something to help me gain my confidence in the saddle after a bad horse purchase and he has done just that. I don't know anything about his history but as an equestrian with eyes in my head i can tell you he has high mileage and hasn't had an easy life but its all irrelevant now he has me because he will only ever know love and kindness from now on.

Sensitive, stoic and exceptionally kind :)

Attachments

• 20210801_073751.jpg
    20210801_073751.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Zeus Hunt Ride 310721.JPG
    Zeus Hunt Ride 310721.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 48

Kaylum

Visit site
Like all big horses they take a long time to mature.
We bred them many years ago and they were all easy to deal with.
I trawled all the ID FB pages in my search for a horse before changing my requirements to a Irish Sports Horse and eventually a Holstein :p:p

Some of the prices for a 17hh 6 year old that could jump a course of fillers (not competetivley) and could hack out on the roads on its own were in the £15 - £17K category. It was totally nuts.

We were selling pure bred ID for 7k to 9k 25 years ago, seeing the prices we are seeing now are the prices they should have been 10 years ago. Horse prices havent moved for decades. Ours were priced well as they were bred well and produce. They werent just here is your young horse there you go. It would have been out and about boxed up, hacked out etc.
Even the yearlings were making 3-4k without a blink of an eye.

marmite89

Visit site
I have a very nicely bred RID. He is 13, I've owned him nearly a year and he is awesome. I needed something to help me gain my confidence in the saddle after a bad horse purchase and he has done just that. I don't know anything about his history but as an equestrian with eyes in my head i can tell you he has high mileage and hasn't had an easy life but its all irrelevant now he has me because he will only ever know love and kindness from now on.

Sensitive, stoic and exceptionally kind :)
He looks fab :)

marmite89

Visit site
I bought my 3 year old RID gelding in March this year.

He’s a complete character! Super playful and into everything but on the ground and the little ridden work he has done he has been completely straight forward and takes on every new situation with a can do attitude. He moves well and I hope he’ll be fairly capable over a fence when he is ready.
He is a good doer and just generally has been very uncomplicated to keep.
I hope he will give me many happy years!

I bought him unseen for around the £4K mark over from Ireland as I couldn’t find anything I liked in the UK.
He looks rather lovely although I'm not brave enough to buy one unseen!!

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I'm Irish, in Ireland with experience of Irish Draught horses. Good ones are vanishingly rare, and IME you're more likely to find a good one in the UK than over here. Can't stand them myself*, but lots of people love them.

*To clarify, I do things that ID's are not particularly good at so have no use for one.
I’ve seen many IDs on the eventer’s scene do I presumed they were decent all rounders. What is it that you do if you don’t mind me asking?

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I lost my confidence a couple of years ago on my 15hh cob. I regained my confidence back on a pair of 17hh+ TBxIDs- both beautiful horses, lovely movers and a nice balance of off the leg and quiet. Good luck on your search- after a couple of rides a vowed my next riding horse would have to be an ID!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I’ve seen many IDs on the eventer’s scene do I presumed they were decent all rounders. What is it that you do if you don’t mind me asking?
Ummm, not normal things....I give mounted displays of Medieval and Baroque horsemanship, and supply horses for film and TV. I use Spanish, Portuguese and Friesian horses almost exclusively.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
Ummm, not normal things....I give mounted displays of Medieval and Baroque horsemanship, and supply horses for film and TV. I use Spanish, Portuguese and Friesian horses almost exclusively.
Oh wow- I’ve seen some similar shows like that over the years, and they’re usually breathtaking!

spacefaer

Visit site
We have 6 RIDs at the moment. All different stamps and different temperaments, but the one thing they all have in common is their honesty. They're all straightforward, genuine natures - I wouldnt have another breed now.

The nice thing about Irish draughts is that if you know the pedigree, you'll be able to judge (approximately) the temperament/athleticism of an individual.

@marmite89 if you are a little more specific regards your wishlist, the HHO collective might be able to find you one.

Kaylum

Visit site
The nice thing about Irish draughts is that if you know the pedigree, you'll be able to judge (approximately) the temperament/athleticism of an individual.

Exactly this. There are some I dislike but others may like them, so getting details of their breeding is essential.

marmite89

Visit site
We have 6 RIDs at the moment. All different stamps and different temperaments, but the one thing they all have in common is their honesty. They're all straightforward, genuine natures - I wouldnt have another breed now.

@marmite89 if you are a little more specific regards your wishlist, the HHO collective might be able to find you one.
My ideal would be no bigger than 16h. Willing to go to 16.1/2 if it’s good with everything else. I’m looking for an allrounder with a nice calm temperament but forward willing attitude. Don’t mind on colour or age so long as backed and riding away. Willing to travel for the right one too.

Spottyappy

Visit site
They are hard to find, but do come up for sale.
We have a mare who is very, very sharp. Definitely not one you could put granny on! She is super talented, but will have you off if she isn’t keen on how you ride. ?
My daughter has just bred a foal,out of her this year, by Avanti Amorous Archie, in the hope that she (filly) will be less sharp.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have three atm
Fatty , very clever not athletic naughty thinks for himself a great hunter by Blackthorn . Blackthorns gone but I would not seek out another .
H by Gortlea Ruler ( very traditional old fashioned looking stallion ) dam by Windgap Cherrymount ( more modern jumping line )lots of bone huge stamina great heart and lungs a little nervous when young but he had an unfortunate rushed start a gentle kind horse but not that bright he’s a great hunter .
Sky by Luke Skywalker out of a Carrabawn View mare he’s finer than the others more sporty very athletic for a draught naughty clever and easily bored a lot of people would get into trouble buying a young Sky he’s by the nicest I have know he jumps he hunts ( a bit of a pain out hunting not altogether his fault his hunter training as been interrupted) he loves dressage training .But he’s a tease and needs to respect you however he’s got a great engine and he’s hardworking and generous when he’s engaged with his work .
Three horses all ID’s all very different .
They are all sadly very very good doers .

If you have a child you need a pony if you have a husband you need an ID .

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have three atm
Fatty , very clever not athletic naughty thinks for himself a great hunter by Blackthorn . Blackthorns gone but I would not seek out another .
H by Gortlea Ruler ( very traditional old fashioned looking stallion ) dam by Windgap Cherrymount ( more modern jumping line )lots of bone huge stamina great heart and lungs a little nervous when young but he had an unfortunate rushed start a gentle kind horse but not that bright he’s a great hunter .
Sky by Luke Skywalker out of a Carrabawn View mare he’s finer than the others more sporty very athletic for a draught naughty clever and easily bored a lot of people would get into trouble buying a young Sky he’s by the nicest I have know he jumps he hunts ( a bit of a pain out hunting not altogether his fault his hunter training as been interrupted) he loves dressage training .But he’s a tease and needs to respect you however he’s got a great engine and he’s hardworking and generous when he’s engaged with his work .
Three horses all ID’s all very different .
They are all sadly very very good doers .

If you have a child you need a pony if you have a husband you need an ID .

ooh I didn't realise Sky had Carrabawn View in there. Known to be quite sharp ?

OP, the thing about IDs is you could line 20 of them up and have 20 very different horses. A lot does come down to the breeding lines and some lines really do have temperamental "attributes" that are always passed down , so look carefully at the breeding so it matches your criteria.

I've had loads of IDs and some have been true horses of a lifetime and others I couldn't wait to offload. Personally I prefer the more modern and athletic type, or the smaller lighter ones. I don't like the short legged dumpy bodied ones that some people breed. For some reason they tend to lack a brain and be a bit pigheaded (in generalizing but not much).

dixie

Visit site
I love the breed but prefer them with a bit of TB too.
I’ve currently got one that’s 3/4 ID bought in March from a dealer in devon. He’sa cracking young sportier type at 15.2hh. He has a few currently for sale atm I think.