Irish sport equine - Gerty Tynan

coen

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone has any experience of irish sport equine which is run by a lady called Geerty Tynan?
They seem to have nice horses for sale but I wanted to get peoples feedback as they are based in Ireland I wouldn't want to waste a trip.
Thanks

coen

Visit site
Oh right, do you know how old it was? Guessing quite a bit greener than expected?
A few state they have hunted but I have heard that that is often a lot greener than we would expect if advertising a horse as hunted over here.

Michen

Visit site
He was literally just four so perfectly reasonable to be green!

Oh right, do you know how old it was? Guessing quite a bit greener than expected?
A few state they have hunted but I have heard that that is often a lot greener than we would expect if advertising a horse as hunted over here.

be positive

Visit site
I know someone who bought two, the first was very green and far smaller than expected, the second, why she bought another I have no idea, was even greener and again too small for her, she eventually decided that maybe she needed to actually go and try a horse before buying, they were I think ok for what they are but are shown being ridden by a very experienced pro so when they get a normal rider on they really do find they need to go back to basics which is not always what they expected or have the capability to do.

Almost anything that has been out to hounds will be described as hunted, it does not mean they learnt anything or even that they behaved well, if it had done a full season then maybe it could be sold as a made hunter but otherwise it is fairly meaningless.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
My Daisy is from there www.facebook.com/TeamSuperCob

She was what I expected from the video but she is a full hand smaller than she was advertised as. I did specifically ask how tall the rider was and I was told 5ft8. Which isn't true because I am 5ft8 and he is much shorter than me!

Anyway she's a cracker other than she has PSSM which needs careful management. Did Gerty know that, probably not, she might have know she's prone to tying up.

I don't regret buying her for a moment.

I've heard good stories mainly but I also heard that someone got sent the wrong horse and she wouldn't believe them then a several months later admitted it had indeed been the wrong horse!

Last edited:

AppyLover

Visit site
My sister brought a mare from our Yard Owners who brought her at a sales and her passport was done by Gerty but she wasn't her breeder even tho she has the Ardlea prefix, our mare also has the exact same name as a horse she posted on youtube which I thought strange.

Wrote a letter and sent an email to her asking if she knew any background on her and if she had her hoof injury when she had her but we received no reply, I know everyone busy but even a quick reply of no sorry I don't know anything about her past etc would have been nicer than nothing at all but oh well.

I have herd shes a lovely lady though and some of the horses she had for sale are gorgeous :)

coen

Visit site
I would be more really annoyed if a horse turned up over a hand smaller than expected:)
If anyone has had any experience of a horse not working out and trying to exchange with her that would be great.
I would definitely need to do a visit as opposed to buying unseen.

Nettiefluff

Visit site
I would be more really annoyed if a horse turned up over a hand smaller than expected:)
If anyone has had any experience of a horse not working out and trying to exchange with her that would be great.
I would definitely need to do a visit as opposed to buying unseen.

I bought my 5 year old Connemara mare from her at the beginning of December last year. I didn't go and see her, only watched the video. Her schooling was very green, but other than that just what I expected and was looking for.
Someone else at our yard, new to the yard, also bought a Connemara from her, but they had a very different experience and had to return her and got another horse in exchange. This horse has turned out not to be suitable but she won't have her back for a refund. People on our yard say that I've been lucky, but I think more that they were unlucky.

KP Nut

New User
Visit site
Hi, Been lurking for ages but I've just joined the forum so I can get more advice on this. (Hello everyone!) I am considering a trip to Ireland as I just can't find what I want in England within budget - ie a 15.2-16.2 gelding with the potential to event BE90/100 at less than 3.5K. Happy with green but don't want unbacked really.

Irish Sport Equine look good but I'd want to see a few places to make a trip worthwhile. Any other places within a couple of hours of Dublin worth visiting? I am also considering going to see Irish Horse Imports in Reading. Any thoughts on them?

TIA x

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Take your measuring stick with you :). I just realised from watching an Irish sport equine video the reason my horse is a hand smaller than they sold her to me as, is due to the fact they seem to measure about 3" in front of the withers, half way up the neck. Where I come from, it's the withers we measure!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
One slip of the stick and the horse is any size you want it to be !

Ha ha! Years ago, when I used to run a stud farm, I gave up telling people what height the horses were, and were likely to end up; I just handed them the stick when they arrived and let them measure themselves. You would be AMAZED at what people read off that stick - almost always they saw what they wanted to see.

I'm off to the UK to see a horse next week (see what a weak pound gets you?), and I'm bringing my stick with me :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It also seems that you can now only buy your horse mail order from the dealer mentioned in the OP. Trying it out before you purchase is now off.

Suspicious, or what?!

I don't think that is correct. I know someone who bought a horse from her 10 days ago, went and tried it, several times.

Visit site
Yes me! I bought - unseen - back in July. Height as advertised, five year old, bit green but completely as described. She is a fab little horse, great temperament, loves to jump, brilliant in traffic. I was wary about buying this way but had been to see a few horses in the UK which were not as described or tried to get in touch with UK dealers who never phoned or emailed back. She wasn't expensive and we thought it worth a gamble - lets face it buying horses is a gamble wherever they come from and even if you try them before you buy them. I did some internet research to see if anything bad had been posted but could only find good reports. If I was to buy another horse I would definitely look what Gerty had in first.

LeannePip

Visit site
Irish Sport Equine look good but I'd want to see a few places to make a trip worthwhile. Any other places within a couple of hours of Dublin worth visiting? I am also considering going to see Irish Horse Imports in Reading. Any thoughts on them?

TIA x

A friend and I went to IHI last November looking for a nice 4yo, saw a few and bought 1 - you have to go with an open mind and your wits about you and be prepared to say yay or nay there and then. they don't fluff anything up for you, what you see is what you get. My friend got a nice horse out of it and it was pretty painless! I'd go if i was looking for something again, they have a good eye for a nice horse but it will likely be green as grass and not turned out/ridden other than people trying it out!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
OP = original poster. So in this case that is the forum member called 'Coen' who started this thread in 2006.

A different member on here (called 'Catembi') bought a horse from Gerty this year and it hasn't been plain sailing.

I hope you get your refund Francesca. :)

ETA - I am such a slow typer it seems! Oh well. ;)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Why do you want to take it down, Francesca? Threads on dealers with different views are useful and your experiences are highly relevant! I was just responding to Mule who was offering advice to the OP who is presumably long gone with or without a Gerty horse! I am not sure deleting posts is possible but then I am technically very challenged.