Irrational annoyances...

Annagain

Visit site
Oh don't get me started on grammar! I have to keep reminding myself that language is a living, evolving thing and just because somebody wrote down the "rules" in the 19th century doesn't mean we have to abide by them now. But "of" instead of "have" is one of my pet peeves. As in "He would of...." :eek:o_O:mad:

Lots of people would of course pull me up for starting a sentence with "but" :p

Not to mention the lack of commas ;).

"Lots of people would, of course, pull me up for starting a sentence with "but"."

I'm with you on that one. I'd better not get started on grammar or I'll never stop. So many. "Less" and "fewer", "number" and "amount", "different to" rather than "different from" and that's without the awful American "different than". As you say, accepting that language is an evolving thing is not my strong point. "Firstly" and "secondly" really wind me up too - "first" and "second" are already adverbs (as well as adjectives, granted) they don't need the 'ly'. I understand the "common usage makes it correct" argument but I don't like it and it still means that, at some point, it was incorrect so we're just perpetuating a mistake.

humblepie

Visit site
Not to mention the lack of commas ;).

"Lots of people would, of course, pull me up for starting a sentence with "but"."

I'm with you on that one. I'd better not get started on grammar or I'll never stop. So many. "Less" and "fewer", "number" and "amount", "different to" rather than "different from" and that's without the awful American "different than". As you say, accepting that language is an evolving thing is not my strong point. "Firstly" and "secondly" really wind me up too - "first" and "second" are already adverbs (as well as adjectives, granted) they don't need the 'ly'. I understand the "common usage makes it correct" argument but I don't like it and it still means that, at some point, it was incorrect so we're just perpetuating a mistake.

The "firstly" is something I always notice as many moons ago I had that pointed out to me by the senior partner in law firm I was working for and it has always stuck with me. We did have two partners, one liked a staple parallel to the top of the document and the other liked the staple at an angle. Fun days (they were actually great fun, very busy, quite stressful but lots of fun).

Pmf27

Visit site
I don't think this is at all irrational and I've no doubt that anyone who does think so would soon change their tune if they lived in my flat, but: leafblowers.

Unfortunately, my flat is surrounded on all sides by commercial properties - so every day there are landscapers in. Every day there is leaf blowing. Every. Single. Day.

This has been going on for years but pre-lockdown it didn't grate on me quite so much as I wasn't around all day to hear it, but they are so loud and the noise goes right through me. As we are on the top floor and have windows on all sides there is just no escaping it either and double glazing does little to drown it out.

I get woken up at 7am on my days off/weekends by leaf blowing, I get disturbed at work at midday by leaf blowing, my phone calls at 2pm are punctuated by background leaf blowing and it doesn't even stop when it gets dark either. I'd hoped that, now autumn is out of the way and there are no leaves to blow, that the leaf blowing would stop but, alas, I stood at my kitchen window the other day and watched a landscaper just idly LEAFBLOWING A HEDGE. He was just stood there for a good few minutes blowing the hedge, then he checked his watch and did it for another few minutes.

It's honestly sending me potty.

Splash2310

Visit site
Pony stopping to have a poo just as I’m about to get on, or 30 seconds after I’ve gotten on, so I have to get off an clear it up, then remount :mad:

little_critter

Visit site
I don't think this is at all irrational and I've no doubt that anyone who does think so would soon change their tune if they lived in my flat, but: leafblowers.

Unfortunately, my flat is surrounded on all sides by commercial properties - so every day there are landscapers in. Every day there is leaf blowing. Every. Single. Day.

This has been going on for years but pre-lockdown it didn't grate on me quite so much as I wasn't around all day to hear it, but they are so loud and the noise goes right through me. As we are on the top floor and have windows on all sides there is just no escaping it either and double glazing does little to drown it out.

I get woken up at 7am on my days off/weekends by leaf blowing, I get disturbed at work at midday by leaf blowing, my phone calls at 2pm are punctuated by background leaf blowing and it doesn't even stop when it gets dark either. I'd hoped that, now autumn is out of the way and there are no leaves to blow, that the leaf blowing would stop but, alas, I stood at my kitchen window the other day and watched a landscaper just idly LEAFBLOWING A HEDGE. He was just stood there for a good few minutes blowing the hedge, then he checked his watch and did it for another few minutes.

It's honestly sending me potty.
I’m with you. I used to work in an office in an old country house. Our office overlooked the old stable yard. We were driven up the wall by the groundsman leaf blowing stuff around the yard. I’m still over sensitive to leafblowers.

Pippity

Visit site
I’m with you. I used to work in an office in an old country house. Our office overlooked the old stable yard. We were driven up the wall by the groundsman leaf blowing stuff around the yard. I’m still over sensitive to leafblowers.

Someone on my yard uses a leafblower rather than brushing the area in front of their stable. I just.

Pmf27

Visit site

They are just DREADFUL, aren't they! I don't understand how or why they are so noisy? Or why the sort of people who use them seem to enjoy using them so much that they barely put the bloody things down.

scats

Visit site
People riding in wellies. Especially muddy ones.
I realise I sound like I’ve got a problem with wellies.

When people ask if I’m going out for ‘a ride’. I imagine they think it’s all little house on the prairie and I’m cantering through fields with my pigtails bouncing.

D66

Visit site
People riding in wellies. Especially muddy ones.
I realise I sound like I’ve got a problem with wellies.

When people ask if I’m going out for ‘a ride’. I imagine they think it’s all little house on the prairie and I’m cantering through fields with my pigtails bouncing.
Is this not so? It always was when I rode - I my head anyway.?

D66

Visit site
Ditto leaf blowers.
The previous owners of the property next door had gardeners in to tidy the leaves every Friday - they would arrive early and spend a couple of hours blowing the leaves off the paths and drive into the hedges and flower beds then go.
By lunch time the leaves would be back on the paths and drive blown by the wind.
If the gardeners had made an effort to pick up the leaves I dont think id have minded so much.
This is probably not quite irrational.

muddybay

Visit site
When people say on adverts a horse never stops/runs out/bucks/spooks every horse has their bad day so don't lie to novice horse owners about it!

muddybay

Visit site
Also when other riders can't control their horse in the school! I understand in group lessons when you're young but some of these people are liveries!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
People assuming having your own yard us a piece of piss. It’s not. It’s bloody hard work. And no YO to slog around after you fixing things ordering hay sorting fields harrowing surfaces etc or tend to your horse if you feel like a lie in.

The bonus of course is that there’s no people.

^^^^ This. Dead right. I live on-site, and the other night I bedded down (with a hot flask, a good few fleece & turnout rugs, plus the dogs!) in a spare stable as one of the livery's horses had collicked, just in case something happened during the night. I would do this for any of my horses, dogs, or whatever. I gave the livery regular updates throughout the night - and have only just realised/been told, that she had "switched her phone off" during the night and hadn't received any of my messages ........ yep great. So I wasted my time! I left for my day-job the next morning - coz couldn't wait around any more - and she still hadn't turned up to check on her horse! FFS. That's the very last time ever that I'm putting my bleddi self out!! End of......... am not a happy bunny right now.

Having said this, I didn't do what I did for the owner's benefit; it was actually for the horse. But right now am seeing red, blue, green, and F'ing other colour!!

Just can't believe how some people are............

PurBee

Visit site
Thought of another, as it happened yesterday twice:

when you find yourself looking at an empty toiletroll or kitchen roll...you’ve got snot running down your face from being outside in freezing temps and desperate for just one square of tissue...and youre looking at a brown empty loo roll!
So youre left to scrabble around looking for replacement, then the battle with the glued on first square starts....oh my!

Grrrrrr

If you end it, replace it....end of!

There’s never been a time in my life when the want of tissue has been a relaxed ‘whenever’ choice!
LOL

Gingerwitch

Visit site
^^^^ This. Dead right. I live on-site, and the other night I bedded down (with a hot flask, a good few fleece & turnout rugs, plus the dogs!) in a spare stable as one of the livery's horses had collicked, just in case something happened during the night. I would do this for any of my horses, dogs, or whatever. I gave the livery regular updates throughout the night - and have only just realised/been told, that she had "switched her phone off" during the night and hadn't received any of my messages ........ yep great. So I wasted my time! I left for my day-job the next morning - coz couldn't wait around any more - and she still hadn't turned up to check on her horse! FFS. That's the very last time ever that I'm putting my bleddi self out!! End of......... am not a happy bunny right now.

Having said this, I didn't do what I did for the owner's benefit; it was actually for the horse. But right now am seeing red, blue, green, and F'ing other colour!!

Just can't believe how some people are............
Please don't, not all us owners are like this. I would have driven from the north pole to get to mine if this was happening and my yard owner would have been thanked profusely and paid xx