irresponsible horse owner

kez81

Visit site
OP I do think you are being a bit harsh on the other owner. You didn't exactly give her much notice to get her wormers sorted. If you don't want your wormer to have been wasted I recommend you pop down to a farm supplier and get some diatomatious earth ( food grade not the red stuff that's been treated its poisonous to horses) and start feeding it daily to your horses. It will help prevent reinfestation. Brilliant stuff I now use it in place of chemical worming and all my worm counts have been excellent.

Moomin1

Visit site
I share a field with another person there are 5 horses in all 2 mine and 3 another owners,well today when I went to the field gate I noticed horse dung with white worms in(cant remember the name of them) the horses were all wormed at the same time end of November..the other field sharer knew there was worms there as she spotted it aswell..so I rush in the car to the local farming shop and buy two wormers then go back and worm mine and took there rugs off to check them underneath aswell..I then told the field sharer I had wormed mine and she texts back she cant worm hers until next week!! I really not happy and think she irresponsible on her part for not worming them when she can clearly see worms are present....mine are on a regular worming programme not sure of the worming history of the other 3 I share with...

I'm sorry but anyone with any sense would simply have messaged and asked her when it convenient to worm all of yours together. One more week will not make much difference unless of course they are very ill or underweight. The fact that you don't know the worming history of the other 3 horses shows that you really are irresponsible too. You should all know when the others are worming and do them together. The other thing is - surely you take your horses' rugs off regularly to check them?

Moomin1

Visit site
Handsome jack,I think its you that needs to look in the mirror and for the record I'd rather u said nothing at all than negative comments is it so bad to be concerned for your horses or would u rather I didn't worm them and leave rhem starving in a field like many do

Oh blimey it's like one of those typical FB posts you see....

fatpiggy

Visit site
I share a field with another person there are 5 horses in all 2 mine and 3 another owners,well today when I went to the field gate I noticed horse dung with white worms in(cant remember the name of them) the horses were all wormed at the same time end of November..the other field sharer knew there was worms there as she spotted it aswell..so I rush in the car to the local farming shop and buy two wormers then go back and worm mine and took there rugs off to check them underneath aswell..I then told the field sharer I had wormed mine and she texts back she cant worm hers until next week!! I really not happy and think she irresponsible on her part for not worming them when she can clearly see worms are present....mine are on a regular worming programme not sure of the worming history of the other 3 I share with...

What happened to a bit of common sense? You don't know the worming history of the others? Have you ASKED? When did the others arrive? If it was after you, did you not say THIS is the routine and they will now be due on DD/MM/YY? Who ownes the field, do they not have rules about things like this? If not I'd be looking for a new field. A horse that already has worms isn't going to drop dead overnight, everyone could have happily have waited a week or two. Perhaps the other owner is a bit short after Christmas and needs to wait until the next payday. What did you expect to find under your horse's rugs? Don't you take them off every day and reset? Don't you monitor your own horse's health regularly?

Are the other owner's irresponsible? Or are you?

Kallibear

Visit site
OP: I'd have been seriously p'd off if you'd been my field sharer and done this to me! How dare you dictate a worming regime, especially as you appear to know absolutely nothing about correct and effective worming.

So glad I rent my own land!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Really? you don't know that...to be brutally honest YOU went out and did this, told her AFTER the event and are now behaving like she is in the wrong..and doing it publically? I think you need to go look in the mirror!

You don't know she would get the money back either, tbh she probable knows the person concerned a lot better then you, who I'm assuming is a complete stranger to you.

I think you need to recognise your poor communication has caused the biggest problem here

Think this has hit the nail in the head, I understand op probable panicked after seeing worms and wanted to worm asap with is understandable and lack of communication has been the fault. I would question the whole worming routine if I'm honest but this is going to turn into a witch hunt it seems.

OWLIE185

Visit site
You should be picking up all the poos each day to break up the worms life cycle. This will also prevent the grass being killed off by leaving the poos on top of the grass and then weeds taking over from where the grass was.
All the horses should have a worm count done on them and be blood tested by a vet to determine if there are any emerging encysted small round worms or tape worms as these are not detected in a worm count. Once you have the results from the worm count and blood test you can then worm all the horses at the same time with the appropriate wormer.

JillA

Visit site
TBH modern wormers continue to kill parasites for some time, Equimax states it lasts for 8 - 10 weeks, I think some are longer. And the only way they will be re-infested (as in yours, having been wormed when the others haven't) is by eggs they ingest from the pasture, so poo picking will sort that risk.
If it is roundworm (affecting youngsters) they don't do as much damage as redworm, so take a step back, do your research so you know what you are dealing with and then discuss with your field sharer the way forward - you should really have discussed it before you rushed about. Slight over reaction on your part IMO

Last edited:

crazycoloured

Visit site
ok so is this right..she would rather buy alcohol than horse wormers..no I don't think so somehow surely her horses should come first and for the record she does not work so lives of the state..but can somehow find money for other means..sorry but I don't agree with it..rant away!

Elsiecat

Visit site
ok so is this right..she would rather buy alcohol than horse wormers..no I don't think so somehow surely her horses should come first and for the record she does not work so lives of the state..but can somehow find money for other means..sorry but I don't agree with it..rant away!

I don't buy it.
But even if I did - her benefits are to do with as she pleases. And it still doesn't excuse you're lack of communication..

FionaM12

Visit site

Ah, so your reasons for posting were not really about worming but all about your desire to have a bitch about this lady in general? How unpleasant. :(

ridefast

Visit site
Unless you were going to pick up all poos in paddock and move your horses to clean grazing, it was kind of silly for you to worm yours anyway. I don't understand how having a job makes it difficult to poo pick? When done every day it doesn't take long