Irresponsible Owners

skinnydipper

Visit site
She was extremely rude,:eek: told us to mind our own business, 'he didn't get it it' (the cat) and that she walks through this village every day. Not sure of the relevance, or veracity of this, as we also walk up there every day at pretty much the same time and certainly didn't recognise her/the dog.
She doesn't care (her words) that there is a local bye-law that says that all dogs should be on a lead on the highway. We miss the Rottweiler even more at times like this;)

I am not sure it would help. Some people are just born stupid.

Clodagh

Visit site
I had a Doberman x Kelpie in Oz. He was fine with dogs on the whole but he did have a very narrow parameter for unacceptable greeting behaviour.
So he’d be on a lead with his ball and other dogs would try to hump his face or mount him. Tbh he could spit his ball and swap it for a mouthful of dog very quickly. When he lost his temper he then did not let go very easily. It was so rarely his fault. I imagine CC’s dogs give off the same masculine vibe that makes other dogs want to be a big boy.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Did you…
1. Beat goldie with stick?
2. Beat goldie’s owner with stick (more tempting)
3. Wave stick in your dogs face?
4. Bung it in his gob?
5. Bung it in your gob so you couldn’t verbalise your thoughts?
?

No I just held it in my left hand and told him to Fuß, he does focus heeling for a stick, he's very easily pleased ;)

Archangel

Visit site
Had an interesting walk yesterday.

A GSD running after a ball from a thrower, like solidly for 40 minutes. The dog was so lame in front As the dog came over to see mine I said "oh he's limping" like I only just noticed. Apparently he always limps. Good idea to continually throw a ball then.

Then we met an odd dog. I couldn't get a fix on what it was. I was staring, my dog was staring. The guy was a bit prickly - I think he thought he had a 'hard' dog but it was a mess (apart from the colour which was lovely). I've googled and it looks like an Micro Bully. Honestly poor dog, you could drive a bus through its back legs.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Yesterday I saw a pic of a "flat nosed" breed. The skin fold above its nose protruded beyond the nose. Flat faced now becoming inverted face. In the same group I read someone who, in fairness was seeking advice which is better than nothing, needed to be told perhaps don't have their reactive doberman off lead after it had had a go at a passing jogger. Felt a bit sick reading that tbh. Especially after the recent thread on here about someone quite seriously injured by a random dog biting them.

I posted elsewhere about the group walks I do and tbh I'm not feeling to sure about the most recent one. It's a huge number of dogs, and there are some reactive ones among the group which I do understand given the breeds (sighthound) and that the walks have helped a number of dogs with problems gain their confidence. I just feel uncomfortable when people perhaps aren't ensuring enough space from others both within the group and people walking dogs not with the group. I know reactivity is tricky and must be so stressful so I don't want to judge unfairly, but equally I'm thinking if you know your dog is highly likely to go off at other dogs maybe don't let them get close enough to sniff? They might just be insecure but I'm sure quite frightening to be on the receiving end of even with muzzle and leads on.

Yesterday I watched from afar as what I suspect was a professional dog walker with far too many off lead dogs had two of them pelting off to another dog. Thankfully share horse and I were far away from the chaos but it's one of the reasons I'm reluctant to take Ivy over to walk in the area, and if share horse wasn't so solid around dogs it would be a nightmare to hack at times.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Another excuse given for the dog straining at the leash who would clearly like to take a chunk out of your dog "its okay he's friendly, he just doesn't know how to greet other dogs properly"

Ugh so scary! This was what happened with the lady whose on lead GSD and collie brought her skiing towards us, barking at Ivy. Then she was questioning my dog's nervousness when we came across them again off lead further round the loop of our walk, like that's the issue here. I was extremely firm in responding "I do not care!" to her "it's okay he just wants to play." Not with my dog lady, and certainly not like that!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Did you…
1. Beat goldie with stick?
2. Beat goldie’s owner with stick (more tempting)
3. Wave stick in your dogs face?
4. Bung it in his gob?
5. Bung it in your gob so you couldn’t verbalise your thoughts?
?

I am wetting myself! :)

Who else has heard the excuse, given by the owner of the rabid dog trying to attack your dog, "its not his fault, he was a lockdown pup"?

Haven't heard that one, but the lockdown pups round our way are all just let to rip so we avoid assiduously! :eek:

No I just held it in my left hand and told him to Fuß, he does focus heeling for a stick, he's very easily pleased ;)

Ooh, Bear does this for dummies/balls. Equally easily pleased, or as the dogwalker says 'A star'. :D

Another excuse given for the dog straining at the leash who would clearly like to take a chunk out of your dog "its okay he's friendly, he just doesn't know how to greet other dogs properly"

And I'd be replying 'And it isn't my dog's job to teach him, it's yours!' Idiots! :mad:

Smitty

Visit site
Too many dogs are being killed by out of control dogs with their appalling owners who generally just walk off and sadly yesterday another human (3 month old baby) lost their life when attacked by a dog in some woods.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Does anyone actually know the circumstances yet?

Chief Superintendent Andy Cox said: "This is an exceptionally sad incident, and one that we know will impact the local community, or indeed anyone hearing about it.
"There may be a temptation to speculate about what happened while people attempt to understand this tragedy, and we’d ask people to avoid doing so, particularly on social media where facts can become distorted.
"We will do everything we can to establish what has happened, and we’d like to thank everyone for their support. "

skinnydipper

Visit site
I think I can report one better than the "it's okay he's friendly" and that is to announce to other owners what their dog is going to do - that their dog who is lying in wait, is going to run at your dog and pounce on it but he is only playing.:rolleyes:

Witnessed this afternoon. Woman with poo-type dog, letting the owners of the elderly JRT know what her dog intended to do. Nearly knocked the old JRT off his feet.

Tried the same thing with the big girl but thought better of it at the last moment.

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: This is nothing to do with the case mentioned!! And I am not trying to blame anyone or justify anything. But worth thinking about going forward. But something I have thought of pointing out for a while so it might as well be now.

So, in the case of people being killed by cattle, there is a big trend for tabloids to describe someone being 'gored to death' when in fact the inquest reveals they were trampled or suffered crush injuries. Most cattle aren't even allowed to have horns to gore anyone with. But yeah, snappy headlines over facts.
Equally, when a person dies due to an interaction with a dog, it does not always follow that they were 'mauled'. Some people can suffer complications from a seemingly innocuous bite or scratch, go into shock or have a heart attack etc, some people can be knocked over and hit their head or suffer a clot. I know when I was lying on the floor in a heap when my ***ing dog dragged me up some concrete steps and was still too numb to feel anything, I thought 'Wow, is this it, am I going to die here, like this?!'
It's best not to attribute injuries or circumstances until more is known.

bonny

Visit site
DISCLAIMER: This is nothing to do with the case mentioned!! And I am not trying to blame anyone or justify anything. But worth thinking about going forward. But something I have thought of pointing out for a while so it might as well be now.

So, in the case of people being killed by cattle, there is a big trend for tabloids to describe someone being 'gored to death' when in fact the inquest reveals they were trampled or suffered crush injuries. Most cattle aren't even allowed to have horns to gore anyone with. But yeah, snappy headlines over facts.
Equally, when a person dies due to an interaction with a dog, it does not always follow that they were 'mauled'. Some people can suffer complications from a seemingly innocuous bite or scratch, go into shock or have a heart attack etc, some people can be knocked over and hit their head or suffer a clot. I know when I was lying on the floor in a heap when my ***ing dog dragged me up some concrete steps and was still too numb to feel anything, I thought 'Wow, is this it, am I going to die here, like this?!'
It's best not to attribute injuries or circumstances until more is known.
As far as I can remember every case I’ve read of when a walker is killed by cattle they are described as being trampled to death, never gored. Very few cattle have horns which I suspect is common knowledge and the baby who died yesterday has been reported as killed by a husky type dog.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
As far as I can remember every case I’ve read of when a walker is killed by cattle they are described as being trampled to death, never gored. Very few cattle have horns which I suspect is common knowledge and the baby who died yesterday has been reported as killed by a husky type dog.

Well that's not my experience, but thank you for your valuable input. There's also a few farmers who have been killed by their own cattle in crush-type situations. 'Killed by' can mean a lot of different things, which is what I was trying to explain in the post, and hopefully you can read the disclaimer.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I think I can report one better than the "it's okay he's friendly" and that is to announce to other owners what their dog is going to do - that their dog who is lying in wait, is going to run at your dog and pounce on it but he is only playing.:rolleyes:

Had one of these not an hour ago - also a poo type - it froze, eyeballed, stalked and then plopped itself down in the middle of the path to wait. Owner carried on merrily ahead until I stepped off the path in an obvious big semi circle to avoid stalking dog, at which point she said ‘oh, my dog will bounce, is yours not friendly?’

I replied that he really would not like to be bounced on, but too late, our talking was enough to set it off. Thankfully unlike the owner I was actually keeping an eye on it, saw it launch and stepped between it and my dog so it collided with my knee instead. No apology ?

Smitty

Visit site
I have no idea how they will live with that. When I first read about the case I thought it was just some random dog being walked by a third party.

What would the dog be crossed with I wonder ... and why did it turn and kill. Presumably not the first time with the baby? Just so awful and like the majority of these cases, probably did not need to happen.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I have no idea how they will live with that. When I first read about the case I thought it was just some random dog being walked by a third party.

What would the dog be crossed with I wonder ... and why did it turn and kill. Presumably not the first time with the baby? Just so awful and like the majority of these cases, probably did not need to happen.

I would imagine that the dog was hyper aroused if it anticipated racing or had been racing.

Huskies have a high prey drive so a baby crying could have triggered that.

The parents have paid a helluva price.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Without wishing to labour the point, all of the people quoted in those articles apart from the police are still just guessing what happened.
Also Transits and Sprinters are two different makes/models and the Mirror reporter doesn't even know enough to cap them up...
Nitpicking I know!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I would imagine that the dog was hyper aroused if it anticipated racing or had been racing.

Huskies have a high prey drive so a baby crying could have triggered that.

The parents have paid a helluva price.

They really have. I agree that you’ve got the likely scenario. It’s just awful.