Irresponsible Owners

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Just dumping this here/having a moan as not worth starting a new thread over and we're probably both irresponsible ;)
Anyway, young one is in season and I was out cleaning her at about 11.45pm, up a lane, when I could see torchlight coming behind me, I recognised it was a neighbour who I get on with really well so I shouted 'sorry, she's in season, please don't come up here!' but the torchlight continued, so I came out onto the main road and went back on myself down the other side of the hedge, sure enough the torchlight kept coming and neighbour caught up with me really breathless saying the dog had 'dragged him like a wild horse'. There was a good gap between us to begin with and it's...a very small terrier. Which was now beside itself and I was having to contain mine from jumping all over his head.
He's a really nice guy but really? I can hold a 30kg male, or, you know, just tell the dog to knock it off...

(To add - I live in a small bungalow with small front and rear gardens, my concession to not keeping her under house arrest/wrecking my house through boredom is taking her out at antisocial times or driving her somewhere remote, always on lead, I have two entire males who are being annoying and bitch wherever she has peed but come on...I still don't let them drag me around)

Moobli

Visit site
Saw on my Insta feed yesterday where an on-lead border collie had been badly attacked by three bull breeds in Devon. It sounds as though the male owner was also very aggressive towards the poor lone female owner of the collie and blamed her for her dog being an entire male! The collie is now recovering from numerous puncture wounds after seeing the vet and having to be stitched back up. He actually sounds quite lucky to be alive. The police were informed.
Dreadful!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I am 5'6" and was 9 and a half stone and B rotter weighed about 8 and a half stone ( she was very muscley) and we worked very hard on not letting her pull anyone, but it didn't stop idiots letting their any sort of dog come pestering her!
Only today we had 3 on lead labs, with a pug in their midst, while it's owner pootled off on his mobility scooter. We sat ours down and he still ignored it!!!!

Clodagh

Visit site
OH just reading to me about a pet dog being shot chasing livestock in Cheshire on Sunday. The owner is ‘distraught’. Interesting that Cheshire police posted along the lines of ‘if you cannot control your dog do not enter fields of livestock’ . The lead it slipped obviously wasn’t working. Stupid people.

skinnydipper

Visit site
OH just reading to me about a pet dog being shot chasing livestock in Cheshire on Sunday. The owner is ‘distraught’. Interesting that Cheshire police posted along the lines of ‘if you cannot control your dog do not enter fields of livestock’ . The lead it slipped obviously wasn’t working. Stupid people.

I saw that yesterday, C.

Here is what Sgt Simpson of Cheshire Police Rural Crime scene had to say:

Please let me be clear on this as there are no positive bits to this post and this is a very sad event which has resulted in significant injury to a lamb and the death of a dog. One of our most complained about social media lines is YOUR DOG, YOUR RESPONSIBILITY - mainly because this subject can be very emotive. However it's a message we stand by.

Earlier today in Disley a dog broke free of its lead and went on to worry a number of sheep injuring one, leaving it with bite marks to its nose and under its chin.

This horrific incident was witnessed by the owner who tried to recall the dog, but it wouldn't return. Numerous attempts were made by the dog's owner and the farmer who arrived on scene, before they were left with no other option. Again the action taken was witnessed by everyone present and it's upsetting for all involved.

No-one wants to shoot a family pet, but it's clear in law that someone protecting their livestock have this option available to them.

Ask yourself, if my dog broke free from its lead, am I happy that it will listen to my commands? Have I really got 'control'?

If you're not sure, please keep it away from livestock, even if you're using a lead.

My thoughts in general and not specific to this sad incident, is that any dog under your control should be suitably trained before opting to rely on a lead when near livestock.

Essentially, a lead shouldn't be thought of as your primary control method.

This crime of worrying livestock is being dealt with by the attending officer and those involved.

Thanks all,

Sgt Simpson

Clodagh

Visit site
Essentially, a lead shouldn't be thought of as your primary control method.

He didn’t read all that. What an interesting statement, and makes you think is the lead the only thing between you and chaos?
With the labs it’s fine. I wouldn’t need a lead. With previous lurchers and terriers I couldn’t say yes with certainty.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site

Moobli

Visit site
My turn to post about my run in with some irresponsible owners. Had a fab walk yesterday in the sunshine but of course a sunny Sunday brings all the numpties out too :rolleyes: Firstly met a pair of GWPs along a forest track with no owners in sight. The ran up to our dogs but hubby's two pups barked and the two GWP ran away a distance and started barking at us (our dogs were all on lead). The owner must have heard the noise and he came running around the corner and apologised and collected his dogs - fair enough. It didn't overly bother us. On this particular walk you have to go through a farmyard that is notorious locally for having loose sheepdogs and my old dog did get bitten by one of them a few years ago, so we were a bit wary but there was no other way around. Most of their dogs were safely shut in a paddock - phew! But there was one collie stalking about. I let my dog bark back at it, and it thought twice about approaching us after that. Most farm collies are essentially cowards, this one especially without the back up of his mates. Just as we were nearing the end of the walk, we saw a couple walking three black dogs in an empty field. There seemed to be quite a bit of shouting and calling and the two off lead dogs seemed to be taking absolutely no notice whatsoever. No worries, they were in a field and we were walking down the single track road (with ours on lead) to the right of the field, and the lane sits higher up. We stopped to talk to the farmer that my OH knows for a few minutes so unfortunately that delayed us passing the entrance to the field. By the time we were approaching the entrance the couple and their dogs were in sight. Still not too concerned, as thought they have definitely seen us and will no doubt recall their dogs and put them on leads. Nope! Their staffie and patterdale came barrelling straight over, out the gate into the lane (and we were also now near the busier B road) and straight into the midst of our four dogs, growling and posturing. FFS! The owners also had a french bulldog on a lead and made virtually no attempt to collect their dogs other than shouting loudly. I tried to just keep moving but the staffie had it in for my male GSD and kept running over and into his face! I am quite surprised my boy didn't take a chunk out of it tbh. Eventually the owners caught up to their dogs, but there was no word of apology - in fact they stayed completely mute! Unbelievable.
So despite having a really enjoyable walk in gorgeous countryside on a beautiful sunny day it was marred by idiot irresponsibles.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Moobli, I have no idea how you managed to keep quiet! I have started saying to people 'Will you call your dog?' Or 'will you put your dog on a lead?'
We had a lovely walk in the country park yesterday, a couple of dogs got a bit too close to the pup for comfort but none tried to join us.The worst owners were those who allowed their dogs to get up to ours when we were sitting outside the cafe, mostly those on extending leads!

BallyJ

Visit site
Moobli, I have no idea how you managed to keep quiet! I have started saying to people 'Will you call your dog?' Or 'will you put your dog on a lead?'
We had a lovely walk in the country park yesterday, a couple of dogs got a bit too close to the pup for comfort but none tried to join us.The worst owners were those who allowed their dogs to get up to ours when we were sitting outside the cafe, mostly those on extending leads!

Extending leads are the Bane of my Life! Nearly fell over a GSD puppy in pets at home Saturday, 3 times! Why does the dog need to mooch around, especially while i'm carrying 15kg of dog food.

Moobli

Visit site
It was one of those times that I was really lost for words, just dumbstruck at how utterly stupid these people were. Of course afterwards I kept running through all the things I should have done differently and the "conversation" I should have had with them.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It was one of those times that I was really lost for words, just dumbstruck at how utterly stupid these people were. Of course afterwards I kept running through all the things I should have done differently and the "conversation" I should have had with them.

It’s always the way isn’t it? I can think of some great responses after whatever incident required one ??

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
I am just back from a rather eventful walk. My cairn pup is now 9 months old and the training is going very well. His recall is very good, but I keep him on a long line lead just in case .
Today we were in a parklike area and I was practicing retrieve with him with his squeaky ball.
I noticed a woman with a cockapoo sitting on a bench so I called him to me and shortened the lead so I had full control of him.
The other dog came bounding up,the woman was blowing a whistle and shouting on it all in vain.
I told my dog to sit and he was such a good boy he sat and ignored it.
The dog wouldn't leave him alone. The owner eventually appeared and I suggested more training was in order probably using the type of long line lead I had.
She told me it was my fault as I had been using a squeaky ball and demanded that I stop using it.
I eventually shouted at her dog to leave mine alone and she told me to stop shouting at it.
I told her that if that was her attitude I was leaving by the busy road so she should get her dog on the lead before that.
The dog followed me for a bit and then went after a german shepherd who was also playing with a squeaky ball.
Last I heard was the owner whistling away to absolutely no avail.
These people are so entitled they think everything is the person with the dog which is obedient and under control's fault.

Smitty

Visit site
The ones that have me absolutely seething are the owners who think that as a field has a footpath through it, they are entitled to go anywhere they like in that field. I see them flinging balls, having picnics and on one occasion there appeared to be a small dog training group taking place. There are now notices on the gates to that field saying dogs on leads and keep to footpath.

I am sure farming is hard enough without morons trampling all over your land.

Clodagh

Visit site
I walked in Eggesford Forest yesterday. Met two other people with dogs. Both, like me, kept them to heel until it was confirmed it was ok and then we let them release. Then the man with 2 labs threw a ball while all the dogs were in together. Of course they all went after the ball. Thankfully no fracas but what a stupid thing to do.
Today I’ve been up to the coast, I had 2 on leads and one to heel. Two women walked towards me with 3 dogs, who rushed me and started persecuting my girls. I used my foot to get one from under Ffee, and then again when it came back for more. ( under as in it’s face attached to her fanny). I very politely didn’t punt it into next week but just scooted it away. The owner was absolutely outraged! No more public walks until winter for me.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
On that note, here's a tip for anyone who has dogs they don't want to be pestered or are working on things and don't want that work to be undone by people who have no control over their dogs: If it's a nice day and you arrive somewhere and it is clear that it is hiving with people with offlead dogs....go somewhere else. I never go to a park or popular beauty spot with my young dog if I know it is going to be busy, because I have come to the conclusion that you cannot legislate for idiots.
On Saturday the football was over earlier than I thought so I had a choice - go up the road a short distance to an extremely busy park or drive back where I had been and walk around the country roads instead, so I chose the latter.

If you want to work on distractions but be reasonably sure that other people have control over their dogs, join a good training club :)

I have enough bother outside my own front gate without it leeching into nice relaxing walks as well.

Clodagh

Visit site
On that note, here's a tip for anyone who has dogs they don't want to be pestered or are working on things and don't want that work to be undone by people who have no control over their dogs: If it's a nice day and you arrive somewhere and it is clear that it is hiving with people with offlead dogs....go somewhere else. I never go to a park or popular beauty spot with my young dog if I know it is going to be busy, because I have come to the conclusion that you cannot legislate for idiots.
On Saturday the football was over earlier than I thought so I had a choice - go up the road a short distance to an extremely busy park or drive back where I had been and walk around the country roads instead, so I chose the latter.

If you want to work on distractions but be reasonably sure that other people have control over their dogs, join a good training club :)

I have enough bother outside my own front gate without it leeching into nice relaxing walks as well.
Fair point but there were only 6 other people on a huge beach… if you didn’t go anywhere you might meet a dog you’d never leave your garden.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I never go to a park or popular beauty spot with my young dog if I know it is going to be busy, because I have come to the conclusion that you cannot legislate for idiots.

It absolutely boils my piss that there are places I have to avoid completely/at certain times of day/at certain times of year but there's no point arguing with idiots and it's better for my blood pressure to take CC's advice.

Happily idiots tend to be quite predictable in their choices and in my experience, once you've also excluded the obvious lure of parks and National Trust type places: they seldom go further than 30 minutes (1hr circular) walk out of town, are put off by things that mean they might have to put their dog on a lead like road crossings or livestock, and they choose flat over hills. I've said this before but I sat down with a map a while back and plotted out routes on this basis, which has eliminated many a 'he's friendly' from our outings and has also forced me to walk a lot further which has rather done me some good too. ;)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Good one tonight. Couple with two kids and a westie, who saw I was in the field and that I was headed out the way they came in, blocked the exit hole for the dog with the kids' scooters, presumably to keep their dog in the field. I moved them and left them on the floor. I'm sorry but I'm not dissassembling scooter barrier, sitting dog, climbing stile, calling dog through, sitting dog, climbing stile, reassembling scooter barrier and climbing stile. Not irresponsible as such but bloody rude.