Irresponsible Owners

maisie06

Visit site
I'm afraid to say I'm one of these owners, my dogs recall has regressed so its back to the long line and retraining.

your'e not irresponsible though as you know and are addressing it! If your dog ran up to mine and you caught it and said sorry - Like the majority of us on here would - there would no problem just a thankyou for grabbing your dog!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have a folding lightweight walking stick that I bought from Amazon, I had a similar one from Argos until I left it on a train, or somewhere. I have used this one for dog-walking in the wood successfully and fended off unwanted dogs and their owners without it breaking. It takes too long to extend when you see the dog coming though, it has to be extended for the whole walk, which suits me as I am walking the same route as when I fell and broke my leg but it might not suit your OH so well.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I'm afraid to say I'm one of these owners, my dogs recall has regressed so its back to the long line and retraining.

Sorry, you don't meet the criteria to qualify for an irresponsible owner award. ;)

You either need to be on your phone and oblivious to what your dog is doing or you don't think there is a problem and just shout "it's okay she's friendly" and make no attempt to retrieve your dog.

Last edited:

SAujla

Visit site
Sorry, you don't meet the criteria to qualify for an irresponsible owner award. ;)

You either need to be on your phone and oblivious to what your dog is doing or you don't think there is a problem and just shout "it's okay she's friendly" and make no attempt to retrieve your dog.
Thank you! I think she's hitting adolescence as she's being a bit of a bitch occasionally (pun intended). She went swimming today and was very stubborn. Her third season could be starting anytime now as well which will obviously mean no off leash time or anywhere near a field

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Lend me little A, TFF? That's a very kind offer, I'd pay good money to hire an attack mini shetland ?.

I hope that the unruly Weim knows not to mess with you lot again. What a numpty owner the poor dog has.
She's only any good if they approach from front or side tho ? has absolutely no speed to run away nor to chase.
I do have to ensure P dog is never bumbling around if A is out tho as A has tried to stamp on her in the past.
I don't discourage little A from flicking a hoof up behind at errant dogs if we are out marching, as I keep P dog in front of me at all times if they are together.

Clodagh

Visit site
@Tiddlypom
Thumb stick. It is light although mum has an even lighter one made of twisted hazel. You can get plastic ones too, like walking poles? I like wood though.

Attachments

• 617EB94A-681F-43CE-B360-9DCDEE0E1A5D.jpeg
    617EB94A-681F-43CE-B360-9DCDEE0E1A5D.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 19

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
@Tiddlypom
Thumb stick. It is light although mum has an even lighter one made of twisted hazel. You can get plastic ones too, like walking poles? I like wood though.
Thanks, I can see some nice looking thumb sticks for sale on ebay. They are quite tall, about 50", so rather longer than a conventional lean on type walking stick? ETA just found size guide on t'internet.

What height should a thumbstick be? Here's a good rule on sizing: Standing with your arms at your side, the stick should be about 6 or 8 inches taller than your elbow. Pick a longer stick if you'll be tackling steep terrain.

Trying to envisage how you walk with one?

OH may have suggested carrying a cricket bat. Joke. I think.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I should add that the folding stick did NOT collapse, as I feared it might, when I banged it on the ground in front of numpty's dog at the country park, the other day. I felt sorry for the dog but not enough to allow it to approach ours who were all sitting waiting patiently on a picnic rug for our lunch to arrive.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I had dinner with a friend last night who runs. She says dogs chase/run up to her frequently, she has been clawed/had clothes ripped, knocked over and pushed over into a barbed wire fence, ripping her top and cutting her. This sounds like a fairly frequent thing for her...why are people such idiots??

Runners always look wary when they pass us and I think this is probably a common issue for them with dogs. I always bring Ivy's lead short to reassure them than for worry about her because I also have a friend who has been chased and bitten when out running. What is wrong with people?! Sometimes I feel bad for fending off incoming dogs from Ivy but then I remember I actually also don't want random dogs running up to me either!

Well done Little A, TFF. Although I'm sorry to read that happened. Sounds like the right thing in that moment but I feel sorry for the dog to have such a careless owner.

On differences of approach with OHs (which is probably a whoooole other thread)... my OH is driving me nuts with pandering to Ivy. She is a sweet dog and I love her dearly but she's pushing boundaries and if we're not careful we're going to reinforce behaviour we don't want and lose that politeness about her we've enjoyed so much. He's just not hearing it. That and to stop flinging himself in her direction every time she picks something up in her mouth that's not hers. At best it's making her realise it's incredibly effective for getting our attention, at worst I'm sure it just makes her chew/eat them with more gusto and be more protective which I've worked hard to try to get her to chill out about!

ETA: Found a picture of OH in action!
1650401698551.png

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thumb stick experts, does this look like a comfortable handle to hold when walking? It's a red deer antler. Not quite as sharp as Clodagh's, but maybe more beginner friendly :D. It's plenty long enough for OH, who is tall. He's on board with buying one and giving it a go.

We'll be buying on line, so won't be able to try it out first.

E638E028-2797-4707-B8EA-9C52209E1B55.jpeg

Clodagh

Visit site
Talking about runners reminds me of an incident a good few years ago when I was walking my then dogs along a big stretch of grass. A big bunch of runners appeared who were running zigzags up and down the stretch I was walking on. My dogs were loose but totally ignored the runners, I was so pleased with them.
And yours are collies? So even better job that they didn’t herd?

fiwen30

Visit site
Would like to nominate the complete pillock with his little orange-red terrier-type in the busy public park this afternoon. The pillock, out for a gentle stroll, lead swinging nonchalantly in his hand. The terrier out to cover as much ground as possible, in as little time, and doing most of this barking at the top of it’s lungs and charging with absolute murderous intent at all the birds - pigeons, ducks, and even the geese, as they all rested on the paths and grass by the ponds and waterways.

‘Fido!’, the pillock would occasionally call out, as the terrier scattered more terrified waterfowl hundreds of meters away. Not quite sure what the aim of that was. The aim of the terrier was to catch and eat whatever it could, and it came damn close - especially to the poor sleeping geese who were slower to get up and fly off.

It’s bad enough when people let their toddlers chase pigeons, IMO, it would’ve been considerably less cute had Fido actually caught and ripped something to shreds in front of all the kids and their mothers at the pond, in the middle of the afternoon.

fiwen30

Visit site
Awww, cuuuute! He just playing!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I’m sure more people would’ve had something to say if it had been a husky/Akita/GSD/Doberman wildly out of control, running at top speed, barking at the top of it’s voice, teeth out, with foam flying out it’s mouth, as it tried desperately to kill something.

Frustratingly, a quick search doesn’t tell me if dogs have to be kept on lead in the park, or who I might be able to inform about it (if anyone).

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
If it is council owned they will have info on any dog control orders. There's a 1m leash order in our local park which everyone ignores, plus two free dog park areas, one for large dogs, one for small dogs.
And yet several swans a year get injured or killed......

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I felt awful the other day, this woman walks multiple dogs, generally well behaved, she recently got a deerhound lurcher type 'rescue' puppy, it's already as large as my female, it does run up to people/dogs but it is a big soft thing, no harm in it, the boys don't care. Came gambolling over the other day, my female was right beside me, I was holding her in the collar and feeding her but the pup got too close and she snapped at it....but in fairness....she shouldn't **really** be letting it gallop up to strangers....I did tell mine off, as it was a witchy bitchy thing to do but I can understand why she did it, as it came right direct into her face.

Ok so I don't feel awful now. This just happened again, the dog is now a good deal bigger than mine (yes, she is a mini GSD apparently ?) so apparently having her face snapped at didn't work as a deterrent.
Ignored whistles and only retreated when mine had a meltdown and shouted at her to eff off.
Owner says 'all the way back' as if dog is fluent in the English language.
But didn't think to shout 'whoops, sorry'.
So the dog is being allowed to approach other dogs repeatedly with no consequence and will one day no doubt get hurt by a dog less smol and easy to wrangle than mine.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
The thing that absolutely boils my piss about those encounters is that the other owner is probably faintly pleased that their dog got a telling off, as if it will teach them a lesson. They give zero consideration to the dog forced into giving the lesson, by having all their signals ignored and forced into a stressed, scared, or over-aroused state, where they have no recourse but to snap and shout.

There was an attack on sheep here (near my place, not on the farm, thank goodness) over the easter weekend, leaving a ewe with its entire lower jaw bitten off. Somebody must have known it happened and walked off leaving her to suffer.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The thing that absolutely boils my piss about those encounters is that the other owner is probably faintly pleased that their dog got a telling off, as if it will teach them a lesson. They give zero consideration to the dog forced into giving the lesson, by having all their signals ignored and forced into a stressed, scared, or over-aroused state, where they have no recourse but to snap and shout.

But if it had been my small dog, there would have been no telling off - just fear, and probably run - and lurcher things chase instinct would kick in. Great for lurcher thing, awful for my dog and for the owner of bloody lurcher thing. I’d be apoplectic.

There was an attack on sheep here (near my place, not on the farm, thank goodness) over the easter weekend, leaving a ewe with its entire lower jaw bitten off. Somebody must have known it happened and walked off leaving her to suffer.

Horrific

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site

Yep, that's what is so frustrating. We passed a couple more dogs on the way home with no histrionics, but that's luck/ongoing training....but it's a really good point.
That woman probably thinks she is a dog lover. I don't think it's very fair to put her own dog in the position where it might get hurt, or someone else's in the position where they feel they have to snap/growl/bark/run.

When the dog does meet a dog that wants to run and play, the high that it gets will cancel out any training the owner is trying to do or any warning it might receive from a dog like mine. If it wasn't being reinforced, it wouldn't be happening.

BBP

Visit site
We had a wire haired vizla puppy come wiggling up to us today. Owner has no lead, not even a collar on the pup. It’s about 1.5x the height of my collie. Lovely dog, super friendly. But my dog is not. Mine is on a lead. My dog goes rigid, eyes wide. I tell the owner my dog will start something. ‘Don’t worry, it’s fine’. Puppy starts sniffing mine, who keeps his cool for about 6 seconds then decides that’s enough. Puppy decided my dog clearly wants to play and bounces straight back. My dog lunges at him again. Puppy thinks this is great and barrels back in for a wrestle. My dog pins him to the floor. I feel like crap for not having better control of him and giving the puppy a bad experience. And it makes me really cross at myself that I didn’t do more to help prevent my dog from being put in that position. But owner is so laid back he really wasn’t bothered. (I sort of know him, nice guy and the pup is to fill the void of an old dog he just lost which just free roamed the farm. Now my brain is wondering how this pup will respond to my dog in future when he’s fully grown and still roaming around free.)