Irresponsible Owners

GSD Woman

Visit site
Clodaugh, that is horrible.

I'm a member of a union that also covers postal workers (CWU). Dog attacks on postal workers are a major issue, and they've been trying for years to get some kind of legislation passed about it. Sadly, unless the worker is actually attacked, it's never taken seriously. Even when the worker is attacked, it's often treated as a, "Haha, dog bites postman!" thing.

What about having the people on that street having to pick up the mail at the post office? IIRC, that happened in one area where I live. The gun violence had gotten so bad that the post office decided it wasn't worth the risk. It may have even helped curb the violence. Gun stupidity is one of the things I hate in about this country.

Smitty

Visit site
I abolutely despair.. why is the mirror writing articles like this?!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rare-litter-fluffy-puppies-grow-27288340

We shouldn't be advertising and glorifying such huge, serious guarding dog breeds as pets. Yes, the content of the article is written well, but many will just see cute puppies and the advertisement of them. The comments under the post on Facebook where so face-palm worthy I had to stop reading.One woman is proud that her Kangal lives in her flat and has never bitten anyone...

Once again, the people who commented below the article, were bang on.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
One breed where I'm never comfortable until I'm as far away as possible.
Sorry, they're another one that haven't really evolved and in my experience they are extremely civil (target people not prey movement) and they make the ground shake when they walk past. They should be out roaming the Steppes, not stuck in a suburban environment with well meaning but ill equipped fur moms who won't be able to cope on the day the dog turns round and says 'nah, make me'.
Police marksmen have already had to be deployed on them before now.

Anyhoo, this popped up on Faceache. Some details removed but a cross of two bracchy breeds so obviously bred for cash and temperament be damned.
WHERE are there homes like this?
Does he sound happy in the head?

'Please do not apply unless you are ready to work with these issues and ourselves.
He has separation anxiety.
He is nervous of new people.
He is reactive to dogs.
He cannot be rehomed with children.
He needs a constant routine.
He needs to start most of his training from scratch.
He can be a loyal loving dog but he will need time and work.

What he needs is
A secure garden where he can enjoy off lead playtime and can continue practising his recall.
Someone willing to attend several meets before going to his forever home so potential adopters must be willing to travel to the area where he is currently in foster for this.
Someone around for most of the day.
A home with NO CHILDREN
A home with NO PETS - we will consider other dogs in the home but only after successful meetings. Again he is nervous of other dogs.
Someone who has experience of behavioural issues/training and happy to work to help him.
Routine, structure and Training.'

smolmaus

Visit site
Anyhoo, this popped up on Faceache. Some details removed but a cross of two bracchy breeds so obviously bred for cash and temperament be damned.
WHERE are there homes like this?
Does he sound happy in the head?
Shall we begin taking bets on whether or not he has snapped at a child already and thats why he's being rehomed ??

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I remember watching a documentary years ago on Russia's toughest prisons. Ovcharkas were used for control.

I managed to find this clip.

Here you go, fluffy puppies:

https://fb.watch/dRfXmqBeXB/

There's a well-known YT video of a pair of berks doing 'protection' with one, doing civil work with only a Schutzhund sleeve and normal overalls on the 'helper' and the dog does a half-mouthed bite on the sleeve and then just lets go, comes right over it and grabs the guy's chest.

fiwen30

Visit site
Thoughts?

Border collie born with a heart condition so severe, it can’t walk more than 50 yards without collapsing due to oxygen depravation. Owner has been pushing it around in a pram since it was 7 weeks old, and it’s just turned 5.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
There's a well-known YT video of a pair of berks doing 'protection' with one, doing civil work with only a Schutzhund sleeve and normal overalls on the 'helper' and the dog does a half-mouthed bite on the sleeve and then just lets go, comes right over it and grabs the guy's chest.

Well, to be fair, one can hardly blame the dog for being more intelligent than the humans who were pestering it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thoughts?

Border collie born with a heart condition so severe, it can’t walk more than 50 yards without collapsing due to oxygen depravation. Owner has been pushing it around in a pram since it was 7 weeks old, and it’s just turned 5.

My thoughts would get me banned if I wrote them on here. Wtaf?

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Thoughts?

Watching how active our two are, who are both purely pets, and one almost 13, I just couldn’t. Ever.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The dog really meant it.

Holy crap. I hope the dog was pts. Saying that, the Akita x that bit Brig then the owner of a rough collie who tried to get it off his dog (trip to Casualty/stitches needed) wasn’t, so I doubt it was. It has been seen in a nearby park. I’m avoiding parks now that pups are up and running.

Thoughts?

They’re not children. That’s no life for a dog. What a shit life for a dog.

Clodagh

Visit site
Was the owner prosecuted ?
I really hope so.
NSFASK. The police were involved, and asked him if he wanted the dog pts and he said no, he loves dogs. It was a rescue and the owners hadn’t shut the door properly so when it threw itself against it the door opened.
His union is totally crap and were no help so there was no recompense for the bite.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Obviously I don’t know what you said but I wasn’t intending to rubbish there point they are not good pets, just that they probably were riled up for the cameras. I am sure that Russian prison wardens use them over, say, Malinois, for a reason.

I was pulling your leg, asking if you had your name down for a pup :D

and I found the programme in its entirety and posted the link.

15.23 Vladimir Central. 19.32 kennel block.

Then I thought what a pointless post and deleted it :D

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Obviously I don’t know what you said but I wasn’t intending to rubbish there point they are not good pets, just that they probably were riled up for the cameras. I am sure that Russian prison wardens use them over, say, Malinois, for a reason.

Nah a lot of them are just like that, I've seen one like that at a five bar gate in the middle of the countryside with people walking past minding their business, they're naturally defensive.

Clodagh

Visit site
I am not a wimp around dogs but if I see an Ovcharka when I'm out with my dog, I'll turn and go a different way.

Someone is advertising a litter. Parents can be seen but only at a distance. Hmm, no thanks.
Just the sort of ad to appeal to the absolute idiot who shouldn’t own such a dog.

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
NSFASK. The police were involved, and asked him if he wanted the dog pts and he said no, he loves dogs. It was a rescue and the owners hadn’t shut the door properly so when it threw itself against it the door opened.
His union is totally crap and were no help so there was no recompense for the bite.
Failings on a number of counts there and not by the poor man who was bitten.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Talking of postman, ours just rang the bell. Bear did not react, pups have been taught not to react. He said he expected the dogs to bark, I explained that Bear is losing his hearing and the pups have been trained not to bark. All three were kept shut in the lounge, mostly because they are way too fond of running into the neighbour’s garden-the council put insulation on her house and destroyed both gates into her garden and have yet to replace them, months later, so the boys can go from our drive to her garden, luckily they don’t go anywhere else!