Irresponsible Owners

cauda equina

Visit site
I was in my garden earlier this morning waiting to speak to the postman.
He was coming towards me when from across the other end of the park infront of my house a vizsla ran up and started barking, growling and lunging at him.
The poor man froze he looked absolutely terrified.
The owner appeared shouting on the dog. It totally ignored her. I shouted on her to get the dog on a lead so she started shouting and swearing at me.
By this point I had retreated to my porch, the dog then ran at me and tried to get into my house.
I have a small dog ornament on the inside of my door and I picked it up and was going to lob it at the dog. The owner continued screaming at me and at the dog.
She eventually caught it and headed off across the park cursing and swearing.
The poor postman was absolutely shocked, but said he was OK.
This dog is never on the lead, it has caused problems before with other people and has ran up and growled at me before when I was out with my own dog.
I have reported the matter to the local dog warden and tried to report it to the police .
The police stated that they cannot get involved because no one was bitten.
Next week is the school holidays in Scotland and the park has a swing park which is usually full of small children I can only imagine the carnage that dog could cause, but hey-ho the police need to wait until someone is bitten. Wonder how long that will take.
Is that right, though?
The Dangerous Dogs Act says that a dog is considered dangerously of out control if it injures somone, or makes someone worried that it might injure them

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
Is that right, though?
The Dangerous Dogs Act says that a dog is considered dangerously of out control if it injures somone, or makes someone worried that it might injure them
You are correct. I have checked the Act in case Scotland was different but it is much the same.
There would corroboration from me and the post man and both of us were worried about it attacking us.
Unfortunately South Lanarkshire police are a law unto themselves. The person on the phone couldn't get rid of me quickly enough
All phone calls to the police are recorded so if anyone is seriously injured by this dog there should hopefully be a record of my call.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Lynnfigaro,

Would it be worth posting some signs around the swings area to be aware of the Vizla? Years ago there was a woman with off lead out of control Rottweilers walking at a local park. A sign was posted in parking areas that warned of the dogs and how it was attacking other dogs. I knew the woman's name and address and wrote them on the signs.

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
Lynnfigaro,

Would it be worth posting some signs around the swings area to be aware of the Vizla? Years ago there was a woman with off lead out of control Rottweilers walking at a local park. A sign was posted in parking areas that warned of the dogs and how it was attacking other dogs. I knew the woman's name and address and wrote them on the signs.
I am thinking of contacting the local newspaper about this, but I will need to speak to the postman first.
In the meantime I have started warning the neighbours and other people whose houses border the park along with anyone I see in it when I am walking my own dog.
I am still shaking about the whole thing.
I can't believe the dog tried to get into my house.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Ok so I don't feel awful now. This just happened again, the dog is now a good deal bigger than mine (yes, she is a mini GSD apparently ?) so apparently having her face snapped at didn't work as a deterrent.
Ignored whistles and only retreated when mine had a meltdown and shouted at her to eff off.
Owner says 'all the way back' as if dog is fluent in the English language.
But didn't think to shout 'whoops, sorry'.
So the dog is being allowed to approach other dogs repeatedly with no consequence and will one day no doubt get hurt by a dog less smol and easy to wrangle than mine.

Met these guys just now and dear hound gallumphed towards us.

I made my usual Steve Irwin-style mitigations and called out PLEASE DON'T LET HER COME OVER SHE'LL GET BIT ON THE FACE

Owner uses whistle and calls to no effect then this time shouts back at me SORRY IF ANYTHING HAPPENS!

I mean.. just...what??

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Met these guys just now and dear hound gallumphed towards us.

I made my usual Steve Irwin-style mitigations and called out PLEASE DON'T LET HER COME OVER SHE'LL GET BIT ON THE FACE

Owner uses whistle and calls to no effect then this time shouts back at me SORRY IF ANYTHING HAPPENS!

I mean.. just...what??

Neither use nor ornament, as my dad would have said. ?

Parrotperson

Visit site
I had a right one yesterday.

We were up on the ramparts in Berwick. Lovely day lovely walk. Rocky was on his lead because there's a big sign that says "dogs on leads".

Along trots (and I swear he looks just like a Shetland pony) a big hairy beast. Woman fully 50 yards behind. He comes up to us and says hello. He's friendly so all ok. rocky says hello. We give him a pat til his owner arrives. Ascertain he's a lab/crossed with something big and hairy.

Now remember at this point she's let him wander up to us and say hello, she says

"Move along then (to dog) Then to me "you shouldn't have said hello to him".

Well. What exactly was I supposed to do? he was so big it would've quite difficult to go round him!

Silly inconsequential I know bit was annoyed! Keep up with your bloody dog then and put it on a lead. ?

Clodagh

Visit site
I’m sure TW will be along soon but her Bo presses his head to the wall when stressed. He was very badly shut down at his last home and I think it was how he opted out. He used to sit with his head pressed to the kennel mesh all day. Now he only does it if there’s shouting or similar.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Putting the head against the wall can be an indication of something super serious, but as per, I can’t remember what, but I recall being told to get the dog to the vet if it did this.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
He will run to a corner if something happens he doesn’t like, and sit with his head hung down. It could be fireworks, one of the other dogs getting told off for something. Me and OH shouting at each other, be it an argument or mucking about. He’s been with us for over 3 years now, and seen vet regularly for check ups etc.

Smitty

Visit site
I've just returned from a solo 7 day camping trip to Devon and have lost count of the number of people who commented on how good my dog is. I previously thought he was roughly average, but having experienced dogs barking more or less continually on the camp site, one old lady being completely towed around by whatever large hairy animal it was and a shrieking and hyped up fox terrier opposite us, I'm inclined to agree.

The last encounter with irresponsible/rude/pig ignorant owners came on Tues lunchtime when I walked down some steep steps in an old pub to be greeted at the bottom by a large dog shooting out from under a table between its owners legs, barking at us. I nearly spilled my drink, my chap ignored it, as did its owners who just carried on looking at their phones. It turned out to be a large overweight Goldie. I would have been mortified and apologised but I guess they are just too embarrassed by their dog's behaviour??

Nasicus

Visit site

So this video is going viral today, whilst it looks amusing the actions of the golden retriever suggests something is wrong neurologically. Few people have said it but more people don't realise. How can the owner not think that's wrong?
Also a symptom of something liver related the name of which escapes me, hang on I'll google it. Hepatic Encephalopathy, that's the one. Toxins from the non-functioning liver build up and travel up unto the brain and cause swelling.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
He will run to a corner if something happens he doesn’t like, and sit with his head hung down. It could be fireworks, one of the other dogs getting told off for something. Me and OH shouting at each other, be it an argument or mucking about. He’s been with us for over 3 years now, and seen vet regularly for check ups etc.

I wasn’t referring to Bo. It’s clearly a coping mechanism he’s developed.

Also a symptom of something liver related the name of which escapes me, hang on I'll google it. Hepatic Encephalopathy, that's the one. Toxins from the non-functioning liver build up and travel up unto the brain and cause swelling.

I think that’s what I was thinking of, where the dog just walks into the wall.

Pippity

Visit site
I was in my garden earlier this morning waiting to speak to the postman.
He was coming towards me when from across the other end of the park infront of my house a vizsla ran up and started barking, growling and lunging at him.
The poor man froze he looked absolutely terrified.

I'm a member of a union that also covers postal workers (CWU). Dog attacks on postal workers are a major issue, and they've been trying for years to get some kind of legislation passed about it. Sadly, unless the worker is actually attacked, it's never taken seriously. Even when the worker is attacked, it's often treated as a, "Haha, dog bites postman!" thing.

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
I'm a member of a union that also covers postal workers (CWU). Dog attacks on postal workers are a major issue, and they've been trying for years to get some kind of legislation passed about it. Sadly, unless the worker is actually attacked, it's never taken seriously. Even when the worker is attacked, it's often treated as a, "Haha, dog bites postman!" thing.
It is ridiculous. The dog warden visited me today and I gave her all the details and roughly where the dog lives. Unfortunately it has been a different post person the last two days so I have been unable to speak to him.
Postal workers have had a difficult enough job over the last 2 years without having to put up with dog attacks.
When I got my pup one of the first things I did was introduce him to our postman.

Clodagh

Visit site
The dog really meant it.

Attachments

• FA8A8F12-ADC9-4258-9215-DBBB35DEFC60.jpeg
    FA8A8F12-ADC9-4258-9215-DBBB35DEFC60.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 5FF3F8A3-7857-4441-AA32-9F54B80B5DCF.jpeg
    5FF3F8A3-7857-4441-AA32-9F54B80B5DCF.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 34

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I always thought the head pressing was liver related.

If it's a trained behaviour, please someone tell me how :p

I saw a video on YouTube a couple of years ago (I think it was Chinese) where a dog was being trained to stand upright with its back to a wall. It was terrified ☹️ The picture of the Goldie reminded me exactly of that.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I abolutely despair.. why is the mirror writing articles like this?!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rare-litter-fluffy-puppies-grow-27288340

We shouldn't be advertising and glorifying such huge, serious guarding dog breeds as pets. Yes, the content of the article is written well, but many will just see cute puppies and the advertisement of them. The comments under the post on Facebook where so face-palm worthy I had to stop reading.One woman is proud that her Kangal lives in her flat and has never bitten anyone...