Irresponsible Owners

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I expect to get glared at when I leave the office in around 20 to 30 mins - handbag over a shoulder and clasping the dog to my front. I figured that being in a aircon office all day and chilled tea towels to sit on in the car for a 10 to 15 min journey to the yard then 15 mins or so home, was more preferable to being at home all day with no air con.
Thank goodness she is small enough to pick up tho. (but gets heavier by the step!)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Possibly the track being so narrow that it puts the reactive dog in a situation where it has to pass other dogs at very close proximity. I can think of a few tracks locally where it's impossible to pass another person/dog without bumping a few limbs, lest you want to clamber into the 6ft high bank of nettles/brambles either side.
That's just a guess though, if there's space to pass or get off the track and remove the reactive dog from that situation then the guy was pretty good to go ahead and give a warning.

Sounds the the dog had been taken off the track/into trees and there was room to pass. I have one dog who I have to do this with.
She's can be gobby (it's insecurity rather than aggression) and I do my best to keep her with me and manage the situation, I'd hate to be judged as irresponsible for that....

skinnydipper

Visit site
Sounds the the dog had been taken off the track/into trees and there was room to pass. I have one dog who I have to do this with.

That wouldn't do you much good round here, too many dense owners.

I was more than a bit cross and disappointed last week.

I was walking along in a park with 2 people I'd bumped into, and their dogs, when a couple with a very nervous spaniel were coming along the path towards us. They took her off the path and up a bank to a higher level. Any fool could see they were trying to avoid us.

The two dogs left their owners and ran up to the poor spaniel who had sunk to her belly, immobilised by fear. The owners did nothing, just casually watched, totally unconcerned, as their dogs stood over her, sniffing from top to tail. I pointed out that the poor little thing was terrified, thinking this might spur them on to call their dogs. Nope. Neither of them called or went and removed their dog. I was disappointed too, that the owners of the spaniel didn't advocate for their dog and ask them to call their dogs.

I had to walk away before I said too much.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It'll just be pure fat, it would give a lot of dogs the runs.

And that's what I thought too, except there's been nothing out of the back end. It's all come out of the front end yesterday and today. She kept down a bit of chicken and rice earlier. So she'll have her meds and a bit more again tonight.

She's not the first Lab I've had that thinks their a walking garbage disposal but can't actually stomach anything other than their "sensitive" dog food diet.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Possibly the track being so narrow that it puts the reactive dog in a situation where it has to pass other dogs at very close proximity. I can think of a few tracks locally where it's impossible to pass another person/dog without bumping a few limbs, lest you want to clamber into the 6ft high bank of nettles/brambles either side.
That's just a guess though, if there's space to pass or get off the track and remove the reactive dog from that situation then the guy was pretty good to go ahead and give a warning.

I agree they were good to move the dog, but I think choosing the track is a bit silly. The whole place is known as 'safe' ie you can usually let dogs off without fear of attack. There's a notice at each entrance saying dangerous dogs should wear a muzzle. I have no doubt it would have gone for Mitch had the owner not wrestled it away.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I agree they were good to move the dog, but I think choosing the track is a bit silly. The whole place is known as 'safe' ie you can usually let dogs off without fear of attack. There's a notice at each entrance saying dangerous dogs should wear a muzzle. I have no doubt it would have gone for Mitch had the owner not wrestled it away.

But having had a dog that you indicate wasn't good with others at times, I presume you A) took him out B) managed him appropriately. Other people are also allowed to do this and the guy had the manners and foresight to take the dog off the track and warn you.
There's a lot if 'what ifs' here that didn't actually happen. But I'm sure he knows now to walk somewhere else.

GSD Woman

Visit site
And that's what I thought too, except there's been nothing out of the back end. It's all come out of the front end yesterday and today. She kept down a bit of chicken and rice earlier. So she'll have her meds and a bit more again tonight.

She's not the first Lab I've had that thinks their a walking garbage disposal but can't actually stomach anything other than their "sensitive" dog food diet.

So I took a few cucumbers over to my neighbor this evening. The dogs walked over with me. I turned around to see Rudy checking out something in the shrubbery. Robbie told me he had just dumped vegetable oil there. Rudy much have been a Labrador in a former life.

Seriously, I don't think he had enough to cause any trouble.

skinnydipper

Visit site

I would take "a little reactive" to mean that the dog might be vocal when asking for space.

I haven't forgotten what it is like to have a dog who didn't enjoy having unfamiliar dogs in his face and try to treat others with the courtesy and consideration that we always appreciated.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I would take "a little reactive" to mean that the dog might be vocal when asking for space.

I haven't forgotten what it is like to have a dog who didn't enjoy having unfamiliar dogs in his face and try to treat others with the courtesy and consideration that we always appreciated.

Did you not read my post where I said it went nuts? Mine were nowhere near it because we put them on a lead and took them past.

Given I spent 11 years keeping other dogs safe from Zak, I think you know how courteous and considerate I am. This was not a 'little reactive', this was a dog like Zak that seemed very aggressive. You seem to be implying that I should have tried harder or something in the situation. I avoided those woods for years because of Zak. I certainly wouldn't have deliberately put him in a situation where he'd be confronted with other dogs and had a job to get away.

A 'little reactive' was a gross understatement from the owner. I know that behaviour, I've lived with it for years.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Did you not read my post where I said it went nuts? Mine were nowhere near it because we put them on a lead and took them past.

Given I spent 11 years keeping other dogs safe from Zak, I think you know how courteous and considerate I am. This was not a 'little reactive', this was a dog like Zak that seemed very aggressive. You seem to be implying that I should have tried harder or something in the situation. I avoided those woods for years because of Zak. I certainly wouldn't have deliberately put him in a situation where he'd be confronted with other dogs and had a job to get away.

A 'little reactive' was a gross understatement from the owner. I know that behaviour, I've lived with it for years.

I've changed my mind - I will respond to your post.

The owners of the dog in the wood took their reactive, on lead, dog off the path out of the way, a responsible thing to do IMO.

Whereas this dog was off leash in a park?

It was my absolute nightmare with Zak, friendly looking spaniel who’d want to kill any dog who bounced up to him.

Hes fine as long as nothing comes up to him, hell try to kill it if it does.

I'm afraid that Zak is the big problem. He's extremely reactive to other dogs and will try to drag me to kill other dogs.

His dog was on the lead and the OH put Zak into a sit which he normally holds. For once, he didn’t and went for the on lead dog. The other owner booted him, gave my OH a mouthful and threatened to effing kill Zak next time.

He isnt muzzled because we train every time we go out.

What is it that I didn't understand?

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I've changed my mind - I will respond to your post.

The owners of the dog in the wood took their reactive, on lead, dog off the path out of the way, a responsible thing to do IMO.

Whereas this dog was off leash in a park?

It was my absolute nightmare with Zak, friendly looking spaniel who’d want to kill any dog who bounced up to him.

Hes fine as long as nothing comes up to him, hell try to kill it if it does.

I'm afraid that Zak is the big problem. He's extremely reactive to other dogs and will try to drag me to kill other dogs.

His dog was on the lead and the OH put Zak into a sit which he normally holds. For once, he didn’t and went for the on lead dog. The other owner booted him, gave my OH a mouthful and threatened to effing kill Zak next time.

He isnt muzzled because we train every time we go out.

What didn't I understand?

About what? He wasn’t muzzled because we trained every single walk, tricky to pick up when muzzled. He had never broken a sit before. He never went anywhere we knew there’d be lots of loose dogs, hence we haven’t been to the woods for years.

We had 2 incidents in the past 5 years, the one above and another one because (well, obviously Zak’s fault and mine because I can’t run due to the accident) another owner had no recall and despite Zak being on the lead, a dog came running at him and went under him. As another poster said, a reactive dog has to walk somewhere.

My issue is not that the very responsible owner held him off the track, it’s that they chose the narrowest, most twisty path in an area renowned for being the place to let your dog run loose. Had I been alone, they wouldn’t have known I was there. Luckily, I was talking to my OH, they heard me and very considerately let me know their dog was up ahead.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Happy to see that the man on my street who pretends he's a nice guy who luuuurves dogs (IE he gets the keys to people's houses so he can 'walk them') get absolutely dragged on the town Facebook yesterday for hauling a fat old terrier around in the peak of the heat on Monday when it could barely walk.
He's the same guy who pushes an obese, lame Lab around in a pram because it can't walk and thinks acupuncture and taking it to the toilet by holding it up with yoga bands will do the trick.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Happy to see that the man on my street who pretends he's a nice guy who luuuurves dogs (IE he gets the keys to people's houses so he can 'walk them') get absolutely dragged on the town Facebook yesterday for hauling a fat old terrier around in the peak of the heat on Monday when it could barely walk.
He's the same guy who pushes an obese, lame Lab around in a pram because it can't walk and thinks acupuncture and taking it to the toilet by holding it up with yoga bands will do the trick.

That sounds like one of the most irresponsible set ups ever. What on earth are the owners thinking?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
He doesn't speak to me at all. Even if he's talking to someone I know and I stop and say hi.

OMG lol he's just walked up behind me. I think I heard him call me a bitch ?
He's one of those people who starts talking really loudly to the dogs when he thinks people are in earshot and doesn't at all otherwise. Like just now after muttering 'bitch' under his breath he started going OH GOOD DOG, WHAT A GOOD DOG.
Cause mine are bad dogs, you see, because one of them took exception to being jumped on by a collie when I had put him in a down stay, seven years ago. At least I clear up after mine.

skinnydipper

Visit site

In my opinion, it isn't kind to allow a dog to get to the point where it is unable to go out for a walk, whether that be due to non painful progressive paralysis (DM) or, even worse, due to pain. To me, caring for a dog includes knowing when to let them go.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
That sounds like one of the most irresponsible set ups ever. What on earth are the owners thinking?

In my opinion it is far too easy for people to set up as dog walkers with absolutely no knowledge and very little experience of dogs. I see it regularly on local fb pages, people asking for suggestions and folks being recommended who seem to have very little idea I've seen photos proudly posted by a so called dog walker of a dog with a flexi attached to a halti style headcollar, in a pack of others all off lead! This person's name comes up regularly as highly recommended because she "loves" dogs.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My issue is not that the very responsible owner held him off the track, it’s that they chose the narrowest, most twisty path in an area renowned for being the place to let your dog run loose. Had I been alone, they wouldn’t have known I was there. Luckily, I was talking to my OH, they heard me and very considerately let me know their dog was up ahead.

Maybe he was new to the place and didn't deliberately "choose" it. Until you become familiar with the trails in any given park or area, you don't necessarily know how narrow or twisty a trail is going to get until you're on it.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Maybe he was new to the place and didn't deliberately "choose" it. Until you become familiar with the trails in any given park or area, you don't necessarily know how narrow or twisty a trail is going to get until you're on it.

Very possible. He said the dog had been in rescue for 7/8 years, bless! He did seem very knowledgeable, was talking about it only liking other 'pointy' dogs. He's probably on here! I was happy he spoke to me, I would have been really upset if young bouncy dogs had pelted up to Zak, so absolutely fair play to him.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Very possible. He said the dog had been in rescue for 7/8 years, bless! He did seem very knowledgeable, was talking about it only liking other 'pointy' dogs. He's probably on here! I was happy he spoke to me, I would have been really upset if young bouncy dogs had pelted up to Zak, so absolutely fair play to him.

Having been out walking with someone with a reactive greyhound (a big one!) I can see how them going off can be really intimidating. It used to annoy me watching this person repeatedly let his dog get too close to other non sighthounds and then react, in spaces where it really was avoidable. He did at least have this dog muzzled at all times but even then I think the reaction would understandably be worrying to those on the other end of it.

Last night saw a video of someone training their malinois. Great stuff except...they were being prasied on their precision correction just before a lunge, preventing said lunge at just normal passers by on a not very wide path. I'm not sure I fancy involuntary being the guinea pig for someone's training session within easy striking distance of a non muzzled dog!

Today have just read there's an Akita in the neighbourhood that's quite often just left to roam the streets and has previously attacked other dogs. Genuinely considering selling and moving house. We've only been back a month and I'm sick of feeling like wherever I go it's not going to be safe. Bring back the annoying doodles and poos! It's one thing putting yourself between them and your dog, here it's some quite serious dogs and I'm just not sure my policeman's hand manoeuvre is going to cut it. Probably lose my hand.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'm quite frankly scared of Akitas. We stopped going to one field because the owner let it run free while he cycled, so not very much control from what I could see. Then one bit Brig so I really wasn't happy. It was meant to be muzzled after ripping open another owner's arm, but never was. I didn't see it again cos I knew where he took it.

It"s probably stupid, but I'm also wary of GSDs, despite the neighbour's very soppy one. One attacked Brig once, another field we avoided!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Absolute classic of the genre just now.
Bitch in van with tailgate up after her run, car gate open before we go training, while I run the lads. Middle dog was taking ages to finish a pee so I just walked around the corner of the house with the flexi fully extended to wait for him to join me.
See a woman outside the wall on the lane staring at me.
Look to my left and see a JRT just toddling into the drive towards back of van, bitch starts barking like mad so I say 'er, there's a dog there'.
She says 'oh, sorry' and whistles then I remember Pissing Pete and blurt out 'there's a dog here too' whereby the Absolute Unit comes galloping around the corner.
**Then** she actually calls her dog, which then goes round to the pedestrian gate and stands there barking at mine, who barks back.

It's a recurring theme around here, but people seem very put out that my dogs and I have the temerity to not enjoy strange dogs in their gaff.
She was standing there staring at me because she was literally just waiting for her dog to finish whatever it was doing on someone else's property.
Is it not incredibly rude to just let your dog wander into other people's gardens? I personally would be affronted. None of mine have the opportunity to do any harm to interlopers (I have to keep them on a line in the garden because of cats), but would you not find the mere possibility of your small dog getting milled by a larger one, a deterrent?!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Wait till they crap on your drive, that always ruins my day. It's to be hoped for their sake I never find out who it is.

Fox this morning, I think, right by the bins I had fortunately put out last night. It used to the neighbour’s staff who would run up the drive, crouch behind the car and crap on the doorstep. We asked the neighbour to stop letting it run up!

Last edited:

misst

Visit site
I was walking with my 2 little terriers and daughters daxie x jrt at the weekend. We were stopped chatting with the owner of an on lead french bulldog when 3 massive off lead dogs came bounding over. Frenchie owner grabbed his and picked it up as recently injured by a big dog jumping on it. Daughter shortened lead on daxie x as she is a bit reactive with bouncy dogs. I got hold of small jrt as she is over friendly with with others and too small to play with mastiff x types. Little terrier x put himself behind a bush as he dislikes dogs he doesn't know but won't react unless they are right up in his face. Huge dogs - 2 mastiff x type and a ridgeback almost knock us over. Then one of the bigger ones starts barking in my jrts face and pawing at her with his front legs which are massive - my dog weighs 5.5kg. I have hold of her collar but by now she is frightened. Frenchie owner and my daughter and I say these dogs are too small for yours to play with the two owners of big dogs. Daughter also says my dog is reactive and so is this one (the Frenchie). All three big dogs start dancing around pawing at my little one and barking a lot. Owners of big dogs laugh and say ... guess what ... "oh they're only playing" . No calling them off no putting them on leads. By now I was furious and looking around for my little 6kg boy - who comes roaring out of the bushes to protect his pack!!! He saw them off - no contact just lots of growling and yapping and rushing around. Normally I would of course sanction this behaviour but this time I was all "good boy Moti" "well done" which I know is not really the thing to do but I was very shaken.
At best it was unpleasant but these "friendly" dogs could have injured our dogs easily and also were intimidating and likely to knock people over as well as dogs. Never seen any of these dogs in our woods before and hope never to see them again. A nice peaceful walk upset quite needlessly by ignorant owners.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I used to get this all the time, owners actively encouraging their dog to run up or doing nothing and banging on about them just playing. Idiots. If a dog is on lead, I really think other owners should realise that it’s for a reason. Allowing huge dogs 5 times the size of little ones to paw at them is appalling behaviour. I hope your lot are ok.