Irresponsible Owners

misst

Visit site
Thanks CT they are fine but it could have been different. My little lad was super brave but I don't usually encourage this behaviour as it could go wrong for him and I don't want him to be any more reactive than he is already. The Frenchie owner was very upset as the Frenchie had been squashed and his back hurt two weeks previously. My little jrt is tough as old boots and seems impervious to most things luckily. I don't encourage play with dogs they don't know of any size and she is only 2 so still quite playful. She was off lead but has good recall. I was happy to just lightly hold her collar but these dogs were quite worrying as they surrounded us and I hate pawing at the best of times. It might be playful but it comes across as quite dominating/aggressive.

HashRouge

Visit site
I will start by saying that I don't own a dog, and do not consider myself especially knowledgeable about them either. BUT...

I am on holiday in Wales at the moment. On Monday it wasn't as hot as the rest of the country, but it still got up to about 33 degrees and felt utterly boiling. We spent the day at the beach, but popped up to the nearby beach cafe for the hottest part of the day to eat lunch and sit in the shade. About 1.30pm a woman with a small dog arrived from the beach, asking if she could sit inside with the dog and did they have a water bowl for it because "she's absolutely boiling". Well, I thought, don't take her to the beach in the middle of the day on the hottest day of the year you absolute moron :rolleyes:. We also saw a couple heading down towards the beach with their two thick coated dogs, just as we were sitting down for lunch. They were walking down the tarmac road instead of through the shady woods, and I thought the poor dogs' paws were probably cooking! I just can't understand why anyone would think their dog wants to go to the beach in those sorts of temperatures. Surely you'd sacrifice your own beach day for your dog's well being?

On the plus side, when I was at the beach on Tuesday afternoon, when it was quite a bit cooler, there was a lovely mongrel dog there with his "dad" and the dad's baby, and the dog was clearly obsessed with the sea, he was swimming lengths parallel to the shore for about 20 minutes without stopping while the owner built a sand castle for his baby! Every now and then the dog would get out of the sea, run up to help with digging the sandcastle moat, and then go straight back into the sea. I thought it was probably still a bit hot on the beach for a dog tbh, but I suppose if your dog is so obsessed with being in the water, it's less of an issue!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I was walking with my 2 little terriers and daughters daxie x jrt at the weekend. We were stopped chatting with the owner of an on lead french bulldog when 3 massive off lead dogs came bounding over. Frenchie owner grabbed his and picked it up as recently injured by a big dog jumping on it. Daughter shortened lead on daxie x as she is a bit reactive with bouncy dogs. I got hold of small jrt as she is over friendly with with others and too small to play with mastiff x types. Little terrier x put himself behind a bush as he dislikes dogs he doesn't know but won't react unless they are right up in his face. Huge dogs - 2 mastiff x type and a ridgeback almost knock us over. Then one of the bigger ones starts barking in my jrts face and pawing at her with his front legs which are massive - my dog weighs 5.5kg. I have hold of her collar but by now she is frightened. Frenchie owner and my daughter and I say these dogs are too small for yours to play with the two owners of big dogs. Daughter also says my dog is reactive and so is this one (the Frenchie). All three big dogs start dancing around pawing at my little one and barking a lot. Owners of big dogs laugh and say ... guess what ... "oh they're only playing" . No calling them off no putting them on leads. By now I was furious and looking around for my little 6kg boy - who comes roaring out of the bushes to protect his pack!!! He saw them off - no contact just lots of growling and yapping and rushing around. Normally I would of course sanction this behaviour but this time I was all "good boy Moti" "well done" which I know is not really the thing to do but I was very shaken.
At best it was unpleasant but these "friendly" dogs could have injured our dogs easily and also were intimidating and likely to knock people over as well as dogs. Never seen any of these dogs in our woods before and hope never to see them again. A nice peaceful walk upset quite needlessly by ignorant owners.

Hopefully you let rip with some timely expletives!

fiwen30

Visit site
Going to have to set some boundaries about hearing of a dog belonging to an acquaintance of mine, because it’s becoming too upsetting.

It’s a small toy-size mixed breed, at least 14 years old. The poor dog has spent most of the last few years back and forth to the vet for a litany of reasons I’ve long since lost track of. The stand out bits were an uncontrollable scrabbling at the face, seemingly not cause by allergies, which somehow led to multiple teeth removal, and eventually removal of both eyes last year. Since then, the dog has gone downhill massively - doesn’t sleep for longer than an hour, can’t settle unless the owner is holding it constantly, won’t walk outside the house, screams in the car, and has grand mal seizures every month.

And every month, the owner practically rends her clothes and flogs herself, with prayers sent like bullets that the dog will ’eventually be stable again’, and after hearing about it for so long I’ve had enough. This poor little dog is the owner’s lifeline, and unfortunately I think it’s gone well past the point of the owner needing the dog so much that they’ll never have it put to sleep.

Animals live utterly in the moment. Even if this wasn’t a 14 year old on incredibly borrowed time, just knowing how distressing and painful every day must be for this dog makes me sick. I also don’t know how seemingly no one in the owner’s life has gently taken them aside and said some loving but firm words about the dog.

Owner has started bleating about ‘quality of life’ in the last few months, but then the dog had another seizure a few days ago, and now it’s back to praying it ‘gets better’. I despair.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It’s very hard for vets to say no more. They would be abused, berated and vilified

Absolutely. I had this conversation with my vet when Daisy was sick earlier this year. When it was thought she may have a tumour I said that I would only treat palliatively (no chemo, surgery). My vet was visably relieved.

fiwen30

Visit site
It’s desperately sad. The owner isn’t someone I speak directly to, which is why I’m going to have to ask others to stop relaying info to me, when there’s nothing I can do, and it’s just distressing to hear about.

It sounds like it started a few years ago with small things that never really got solved, and the owner started down a rabbit hole of investigation and diagnostics which never really ‘fixed’ anything, and then more and more problems kept arising.

It’s unnerving to see the owner having the same low-key reaction to the dogs current symptoms, as they did to the very early symptoms - it’s like they can’t see the wood for the trees now, and they’re carrying on like it’s still only minor issues, rather than a debilitating quality of life.

To my knowledge, none has had a frank conversation with the owner, and even if they did I don’t think the owner has the capacity to hear, believe, or act appropriately on it. It sounds callous, but every time this dog crops up in conversation, I hope it’s because it’s passed peacefully in its sleep.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
The saddest part of that post it…how common is this now? I never ever knew anyone who let dogs just keep on going before, now it just seems the norm.

My Mum will tell anyone who asks that she kept one of our females on too long, with CDRM, she was dragging her back legs about and could only really lie on the sofa and be helped around, the dog had been very successful in the show ring, had been with her through my birth and childhood, her separation and divorce, this was in the mid 80s, and she has vowed ever since not to do that again. She knows she was keeping the dog alive for 'herself' and has felt guilt about it ever since. Her kennel mate was PTS the first day she showed signs of struggling to get up unaided (at 14, having broken a front leg in youth/had it pinned, the older female went at 12).

I just can't imagine a dog that is essentially trapped inside its' own head, with no eyesight and at 14 years probably not much hearing to speak of and little awareness of what is going on around it, and also suffering fits, and not understanding any of it :(

P3LH

Visit site
It’s desperately sad. The owner isn’t someone I speak directly to, which is why I’m going to have to ask others to stop relaying info to me, when there’s nothing I can do, and it’s just distressing to hear about.

It sounds like it started a few years ago with small things that never really got solved, and the owner started down a rabbit hole of investigation and diagnostics which never really ‘fixed’ anything, and then more and more problems kept arising.

It’s unnerving to see the owner having the same low-key reaction to the dogs current symptoms, as they did to the very early symptoms - it’s like they can’t see the wood for the trees now, and they’re carrying on like it’s still only minor issues, rather than a debilitating quality of life.

To my knowledge, none has had a frank conversation with the owner, and even if they did I don’t think the owner has the capacity to hear, believe, or act appropriately on it. It sounds callous, but every time this dog crops up in conversation, I hope it’s because it’s passed peacefully in its sleep.
Not callous. I’ve had several fall outs with in laws re one of theirs. Time overdue. Same with other relatives and friends. I hear to often ‘I keep just hoping X just goes to sleep and doesn’t wake up’ aka can suffer on and on.

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
My Mum will tell anyone who asks that she kept one of our females on too long, with CDRM, she was dragging her back legs about and could only really lie on the sofa and be helped around, the dog had been very successful in the show ring, had been with her through my birth and childhood, her separation and divorce, this was in the mid 80s, and she has vowed ever since not to do that again. She knows she was keeping the dog alive for 'herself' and has felt guilt about it ever since. Her kennel mate was PTS the first day she showed signs of struggling to get up unaided (at 14, having broken a front leg in youth/had it pinned, the older female went at 12).

I just can't imagine a dog that is essentially trapped inside its' own head, with no eyesight and at 14 years probably not much hearing to speak of and little awareness of what is going on around it, and also suffering fits, and not understanding any of it :(
Mum did the same with one of our terriers many moons ago - and I’m quite confident she experienced terrible pain prior to being PTS, which came after suffering a stroke/heart attack type affair which was inevitable and should have been prevented by PTS sooner.

I know there are people in my life who think I’m cold when it comes to pts. With last rough, we went through ten days (not great ones either) investigating the issue and once it was clear where we were at and there was no come back, he went on his way. Our vets would have kept him going. I moved vets as a result of this. Terrier before him had encephalitis misdiagnosed as epilepsy, his last attack episode lasted six minutes and he wasn’t quite right after, and it then became clear that we were dealing with something incurable and therefore pointless to keep going until a time when he was visibly unwell (well more visibly unwell) - he was pts within two days. These episodes terrified him and he was never ‘a normal
Dog’ which it became clear as to why in the end. Terrier before him was diagnosed with a cancerous mass and all kinds of management treatments were offered - she came home, had all the things she shouldn’t, and we walked back in the next day and she went on her way. Tail high, still with dignity. And that’s how I’ve tried to ensure all of them have gone. I’ve actively argued with family members and friends on the ‘but they look fine’ and ‘they still seem happy’ - which is exactly my point but that many don’t see, if I know they’ve got something either life limiting/debilitating or that is terminal, I have no desire to wait to a point where their day to day life is at all compromised. Let them go when still happy, none the wiser and when their lives haven’t changed too much. We all go in the end, best it’s quick and at the right time.

My current old man will go the same way before the end of this year I would think, unless I see a dramatic pick up.

Nasicus

Visit site
Mum let the family dog drag on too long, and when she finally booked him for PTS, he absolutely crashed that weekend and had to be whisked in then and there to be PTS. It was awful watching him decline, and even back then as a late teen I would have had him peacefully pts a lot sooner, and did try to broach the topic with her a few times to no effect. It was quite an eye opener for her, and till this day she still carries the guilt of being 'the day too late'.
When the time came to have my old man put to sleep, he just started seizing on and off that morning, and I made the decision then and there and had him booked in for that afternoon. The vet, who no longer works there, tried her hardest to convince me to give this 15yo dog with dementia and now seizures medication to keep him going, despite me saying I'd made my mind up. It wasn't until I pointed out he had a heart murmur too (something she'd have known if she looked at his records) that she conceded, because the medication for seizures wasn't compatible with a heart murmur. It really irked me that she didn't trust my own judgement as this dogs owner. I went in, laid out the facts, explained that his quality of life was declining and that it was time, and she wanted me to limp him along with drugs and for what? To what end? To be PTS down the line when his declining quality of life would have declined even further? Eurgh, rant over...

MurphysMinder

Visit site
That poor dog. I like to think I have always let mine go that "day too soon", and I have never had a vet try to persuade me otherwise, however I think it is very difficult for a vet to force pts when the owner won't accept it. When I lost my Freya earlier this year, very suddenly to a massive bleed due to hemangiosarcoma, the vet did say to me after scanning that pts was the best option and I have to admit I was shocked as I had taken in an only slightly off colour dog. However, I could see her going downhill in front of me so it was definitely the right thing to do, the vet did say surgery was a possibility but in her opinion would not work, but I suspect if I had asked for it she would have gone ahead albeit reluctantly. She is a fairly young vet and I really do admire her for having the confidence in her opinion and the best interests of Freya to make pts her first suggestion.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Luckily we've never had a vet try and persuade us otherwise, even for behavioural issues in an otherwise physically healthy animal (that's only happened twice since my Mum started owning GSDs in the 60s).
With our 14 year old, the vet had been at school with Mum/she'd ridden with him and he had treated the dog for her whole life, through all her ups and downs and he actually came out to the house to do it, and took her back to his farm for burial. He loved her to bits, she was allowed to sit with the receptionist behind the counter any time she had to stay in.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
That poor dog. Cases like that upset and anger me (and 90% of my job being in pet insurance these days, I get to read about it all the time too) and so I think you are absolutely right to set a boundary and not engage any further with discussion about that particular dog.

I had a very clear idea in my head that no dog of mine would be allowed to go 'off their legs'. Making that decision for my old boy, when he could still get about but had had a bad couple of days where I believe we were starting to not manage his pain, was the hardest thing I have ever done but I would never have forgiven myself for letting him experience unrelenting pain or fear. The idea of letting that go on for months or years is absolutely abhorrent.

Karran

Visit site
Poor thing. Our childhood lab had hip dysplasia, she made it to 14 and then one day her legs went from under her when eating and then a few times off and on over that weekend. I remember the argument between her and Dad as he wanted to keep her going a bit longer, saying it was a one off and her arguing back that it had happened once and would be happening again more and more frequently. She got her own way and the dog went twenty four hours later.

She confessed to me later when I was a bit older about how guilty she felt especially when she trotted into the car and into the vets happily but it 100% was the right decision and I hope I am that brave enough when the time comes.

GSD Woman

Visit site
That's so sad fiwen30, poor little dog
You wonder why their vet is facilitating all this

In my state the vet is supposed to follow the treatment that the owner chooses. Some vets are better at making it clear that euthanasia is not a wrong answer. I've seen all sorts of people hanging on, especially when they are alone and the pet is the only thing keeping them going. I remember a case many years ago when a client had such a tight bond with his dog that after he had the dog put down that he thought about going to join Popeye. The lead vet was crying when he was speaking on the phone to the client telling him that wasn't what the dog would want.

And again, 1 day too early vs 1 day too late.

p.s. and now I'm crying, thinking of Popeye and his owner.

SAujla

Visit site
I hope I am that brave enough when the time comes.

I think about this a lot, its easy for me to judge others for not showing their dogs a final kindness but I'm not sure I'd be brave or selfless enough to do it. Would probably need the right people around me to make me see sense but I believe I'd listen if certain people told me it was time

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It’s a year today that we took Zak to be pts. I think it was several days too late, but he wanted to go for a walk and have treats during his walk on his last days. My OH found it extremely hard to lose another dog to cancer. Both Jake and Zak were ‘his’, just as Mitch is now. I would not tolerate keeping a dog going because it’s painful for the owners. So selfish.

Nasicus

Visit site
Riding along the shared forest path yesterday, we were accosted by a Lurcher, barking, running around us and lunging at Pony's back legs. Owners wrestled him back, and held onto him as we trundled past, with said lurcher flailing about and straining against his owner to get back to us. Thankfully they clipped him onto the lead and waited for Pony and I to be long gone before letting him back off.

Oh wait.
No they didn't.
They let dog go when we were about 20 meters away, still in plain sight, and of course the Lurcher came thundering over, barking, snapping, lunging. Pony getting fed up by now and giving little 'bugger off' flicks of her hinds, but otherwise being a superstar about this dog. Owners screaming dogs name to no avail, until eventually they were able to distract it by throwing sticks, whereby Pony and I bid a hasty exit.

The first encounter, okay not ideal but it happens. But come on, anyone with half a braincell could see the dog was still very interested and keen to get to the pony, just pop it on a lead for a few minutes, I promise it'll damage the dog a lot less than a hoof to the skull will!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Lurcher owners would have had such words from me! Beau hated dogs and tried to stamp on the yo’s jrt last time she took him into the field. ?

My lot have all been taught a strong ‘leave it’ command, it has proved extremely useful with getting us past other dogs/ignoring squirrels etc. I think recall and leaving are my top two commands. Goose met up with my OH the other day as he was doing the other half of the circular walk, but spun round when he heard me calling him. I’m really proud of that.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Lurcher owners would have had such words from me! Beau hated dogs and tried to stamp on the yo’s jrt last time she took him into the field. ?

My lot have all been taught a strong ‘leave it’ command, it has proved extremely useful with getting us past other dogs/ignoring squirrels etc. I think recall and leaving are my top two commands. Goose met up with my OH the other day as he was doing the other half of the circular walk, but spun round when he heard me calling him. I’m really proud of that.

Same. A strong leave it command is so valuable.