Irresponsible Owners

Mero

Visit site
I have to admit that as much as I adore the companionship my dog gives me, I’m not sure I’ll get another. It’s just not as fun as it used to be, having to say dodge other dogs and their owners. Although I will say I met a group of gundogs today, 3 labs and a spaniel. The owners called them the second they saw me reeling mine in, and their dogs went immediately to heel and passed us so politely, nice quiet interested but not trying to engage. I said a profuse thank you for clocking that mine was on lead. It put my mind so much at ease as I see them often at a distance and have tried to avoid as they are always off lead.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I saw an owner training his lab to the whistle today. Would have loved to say hello, but before the training, he was letting both his dogs rip round with another. We're focusing on recall and retrieving currently so distractions are useful. I don't want my lot involved in no boundaries play.

meleeka

Visit site
It's not that you're bad at reading labs, it's that labs are crap at reading everyone else. Even (especially) the friendly ones, don't get the PISS OFF, DO ONE vibes being given off by other dogs and humans, who don't want a big lab face in their face or up their bum :p
I think we can all realise our breeds' failings. Even my best behaved, nicest, politest boy plays like an absolute thug, bodyslams, uses his paw to splat smaller dogs, there is no grace with him whatsoever, it's just a GSD thing, even when other people say 'they can play', I usually say 'no it's OK, he's too big/plays to rough' to be on the safe side. Best not to take a chance with someone else's dog.

Yep, my GSD is exactly the same. My other dog is a terrier and the GSD would love them to play. The terrier however, gave her one chance and decided she was too rough so won’t have any of it. One thing terriers do well is hold a grudge ?

Boulty

Visit site
I f'd up again yesterday. A friend & her lovely dog came over for a walk with us. This dog has unfortunately been attacked in the past & is now sometimes a bit wary with strange dogs. I knew all this but as I've only known him to be lovely & fine & the demon child is actually normally fairly polite when greeting new dogs I stupidly allowed their initial greeting to go on a little longer than the few seconds generally considered "safe" & the spaniel pillock invited his new friend to play in a slightly rude / space invadery way by putting a paw on him & got himself snapped at. No contact was made & it had the desired effect of making divhead back up & watch his manners but feel bad that I didn't see it coming & that we put them in a situation where the other dog felt uncomfortable. We did then have a lovely long walk where they were both on long leads together (& briefly off lead a few times in more secure areas) with no further incidents. Both of them also managed to behave beautifully when a man leading a slightly "fresh" (read leaping into the air, bucking & I do believe it reared up at one point as well!) horse down the road went past us (thankfully it's a dead end road & the only traffic tends to be dogwalkers parking up near the footpath entrance) so erm I guess it's nice to have one animal on the "things my dog does NOT want to chase" list right?

In other news had a fairly productive play in the field with him today messed about with recall, loose lead walking, fetch & lots of playing with his squeaky rabbit tug toy. Still don't trust him off lead with distractions though as sadly the squeaky chaser currently loses all its power if there's too much going on

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I f'd up again yesterday. A friend & her lovely dog came over for a walk with us. This dog has unfortunately been attacked in the past & is now sometimes a bit wary with strange dogs. I knew all this but as I've only known him to be lovely & fine & the demon child is actually normally fairly polite when greeting new dogs I stupidly allowed their initial greeting to go on a little longer than the few seconds generally considered "safe" & the spaniel pillock invited his new friend to play in a slightly rude / space invadery way by putting a paw on him & got himself snapped at. No contact was made & it had the desired effect of making divhead back up & watch his manners but feel bad that I didn't see it coming & that we put them in a situation where the other dog felt uncomfortable. We did then have a lovely long walk where they were both on long leads together (& briefly off lead a few times in more secure areas) with no further incidents. Both of them also managed to behave beautifully when a man leading a slightly "fresh" (read leaping into the air, bucking & I do believe it reared up at one point as well!) horse down the road went past us (thankfully it's a dead end road & the only traffic tends to be dogwalkers parking up near the footpath entrance) so erm I guess it's nice to have one animal on the "things my dog does NOT want to chase" list right?

In other news had a fairly productive play in the field with him today messed about with recall, loose lead walking, fetch & lots of playing with his squeaky rabbit tug toy. Still don't trust him off lead with distractions though as sadly the squeaky chaser currently loses all its power if there's too much going on

At least you were trying to be mindful/careful and intervened even if it didn't quite work out right that time. Your friend might also have been able to step in sooner if they were worried about their so don't beat yourself up too much.

Ivy has one of those rabbit chaser toys as well. We bought it for helping recall practice but our problem is going to be that she doesn't want to go away from it in the first place for us to need to call her back (good for focus I guess?!). Even hidden I think she will know we have it on us!

A dog of the same colour description (granted not very specific and waiting to find out about breed) as the one OH shoo'd away the other day has attacked another dog in the same area at a similar time of day that we were there. Really hope it's not the same one! Feel very sorry for the person whose dog was injured (minor it sounds like but still :( )

NinjaPony

Visit site
Honestly this thread reminds me why I feel very conflicted about getting a dog. I love dogs, I love training them, exercising them, having them around, but when you have a dog you have to deal with other peoples dogs and their bloody owners and that is just a nightmare.
I’ve shared this before but after watching my little papillon (family dog) get nearly killed by an off lead out of control dog, she was on a lead and minding her own business, it makes me very wary of other off lead dogs and it’s just not enjoyable. She was lucky to survive, still needs regular physio and hydrotherapy and surprise surprise, doesn’t want strange dogs in her face. She won’t kick off unless the dog is right next to her, which should never happen as she’s on a lead and we ALWAYS try to get out the way to protect her. Yet you still have idiots letting their dog run up to her, and I’m not afraid to get shirty now, pick her up, or get her out the way because enough is enough. I just want to walk my little dog in peace and if you can’t keep your dog away from strange dogs, don’t let it off a lead. Seriously makes me think about whether I want to own again in the future because it just sucks all the fun out of walking.

P3LH

Visit site
Due to covid implications ive been leaving work earlier than usual, so see more people than I think I usually would. I also only park walk in the week so this adds to it too.

I am overwhelmed by idiocy on a daily basis, but today takes the biscuit. A mixed group up ahead. A lady with a very bouncy off lead staff. A chap with a young cockerpoo looking pup, very small and young but also off lead, an older chap with a huge lurcher that was on lead, then on extending lead then off lead, and a lady with a spaniel - very bouncy and off lead. Not an ounce of recall between them. All the dogs were non stop rough housing, at one point it looked like it was getting a little spicy between them. None of them had basic etiquette. It actually hurt me to see the little manners and the treatment that this was the norm.

They effectively held up my entire walk. I found myself hanging back and putting the dogs in a sit to allow some distance between us. I noted several other owners doing the same. Then later they ambushed us round a corner. Bouncy staff charges at us with laughing owner chasing her calling her name and assuring me she’s friendly. I lied ‘they aren’t, that’s why they’re on lead’ and I was assured ‘she only wants to play’. Not getting it at all. I was then held prisoner for nine minutes whilst the staff and poo puppy charged around us in a wide circle, barking and rushing at us, whilst owners chased them calling their names. There was headbutting, bowling over snd the old man even ended up with his head in a mouth. All the time I am stood still with mine on leads, the elder two unphased but Gus at five months now completely mind blown. Not even an apology.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I liked your post P3LH but I don't really, I feel your pain.

I am very cross today. YorksG wrote yesterday about our experience with our friend's 7 month old Lab pup and the bl**dy stupid owner who allowed her big black Labxlurcher type thing to put its face in the pups, while she was sitting minding her own business outside a cafe. Well today, pup has been terribly reactive on our usual walk, barking at anything and everything out of the ordinary. Fortunately we actually only saw one dog on the same path and it was on a lead but we now have a lot of work to do getting her to the 'dogneutral'state that we want. She is not helped by the fact that when she is at home,a neighbour's dog barks at her everytime she sets foot in her own garden. However we settled its hash yesterday evening. Our dogs were with us there and when the neighbour barked, ours barked back -yappy little things shot back into the houseand we heard the door slam shut!

P3LH

Visit site
Well I have a very old man who’s had the shits all evening since, and a very young puppy terrified of every noise since. Then there’s one in the middle who, in true tank fashion - acknowledged something has happened, acts unbothered by something that’s happened and quietly plots revenge on those guilty and plans for plagues upon all their houses.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Was on the beach just after Xmas. Nobody around. (It was a cold day). Pup on long line. Practising recall and bless him he’s excellent. Comes when called. Trots alongside. Still at the stage where the sight of another dog is very interesting but that’s what the long line is for. He’s asked to walk past quietly.

well. Out of nowhere I hear ‘ come back!’ several times. Look around. The biggest dog on the planet (Great Dane/mastiff cross ?) has pulled its lead out of its owners hands and is galloping towards us.

in this instance I pick up pup. (He’s tiny jrt so he would’ve be flattened). Big dog has long lead flapping behind it luckily so I instruct husband to stand on it. He somehow managed to do so. Owner puffs up and says…..yes you’ve guessed it. The five words that should put a dog owner in prison

he only wants to play. ???

luckily pup looks on but is unconcerned. And when the wife of owner arrived she had another big dog on a long line with her.

life is sometimes an assault course.

Parrotperson

Visit site
They would have been getting a very terse reply from me.

indeed it did. He was full of apologies of course. Get control I said. You don’t have any at present. Because if he does that again he could literally kill someone. He’d only need to knock someone off their feet.

honestly. ?

Moobli

Visit site
I really fear my oldies being knocked about like that, how awful.

Sharing a positive experience, I sat down with a map a few months ago to see if there were any footpaths I didn't know about to try and make up some new walking routes. Most of the stressful encounters we were having were on a couple of circular routes that started and finished in town, both being about 45 minutes, partially fenced and having no livestock, i.e safe easy walk of choice for the 'my dog needs to run' brigade.

As much as it annoys me to be almost driven out of a place it was not worth the stress, so I started looking for alternatives. I've come up with half a dozen new routes, many of which have incredible views (one passes through acres and acres of orchard I never knew existed) and on which I rarely see a soul. I mean, one of them is 2.5 hours long to make it circular to get back home, but it's doing wonders for my step count ?

What a great result! Sometimes we are pushed into doing things we don't really want to but actually there are often unexpected positives that come out of it.
I am very lucky to have lots of empty countryside on my doorstep (empty in so much as it's mostly devoid of other people and their dogs) but I do enjoy taking my dogs to the beach, woods and other more populated places outside my bubble on occasion. Now, thanks to the world in generally suddenly having dogs and all the popular walks are full of them, I go to the beach etc at the crack of dawn, especially in spring/summer. It might be a drag hauling ass out of bed so early but some of the incredible sunrises I have seen and the joy of being relaxed and not worrying about bumping into others, more than makes up for it. If I hadn't been so keen to avoid others I would have missed out without even realising it.

Moobli

Visit site
It's not nearly as wild over here with dogs. We've had the occasional loose dog with delayed or no recall, but one of them is a dog we know atleast, and he plays well with mine. With my Lab she doesn't give some dogs a second look, or even the time of day, other dogs she's a bit excited/interested, and once in a blue moon she will growl at one. She's still under control though.

The moment she sees another dog she stops, waits for my recall, comes, and gets back on the lead. Sometimes I recall her before she sees them. I think it's odd to have your dog off the lead when others are around. Everyone is quite good about putting their dog on the lead when they see another (as they're supposed to here). I feel quite lucky. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself ?

Where are you? Sounds like a good place to be :)

Moobli

Visit site
I have to admit that as much as I adore the companionship my dog gives me, I’m not sure I’ll get another. It’s just not as fun as it used to be, having to say dodge other dogs and their owners. Although I will say I met a group of gundogs today, 3 labs and a spaniel. The owners called them the second they saw me reeling mine in, and their dogs went immediately to heel and passed us so politely, nice quiet interested but not trying to engage. I said a profuse thank you for clocking that mine was on lead. It put my mind so much at ease as I see them often at a distance and have tried to avoid as they are always off lead.

I couldn't imagine a life without dogs because my whole world kind of revolves around them, but the busier everywhere gets I do occasionally find myself considering a smaller, more sociable breed which might make me feel less anxious when walking in busy places. I doubt it will happen though but I will just become less and less sociable and find more obscure walks where I see nobody :rolleyes:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Where are you? Sounds like a good place to be :)

Germany. It has it's pros and cons. However, they're quite ok with dogs. Many dog schools around and in general, people take it a bit more serious. Encounters such as those in this thread are quite rare. I've had a loose dog encounter and an unruly dog encounter (on a leash), but they were a far cry from others tales and my dog was fine/didn't realize anything amiss really.

In the two regions I've lived in, both have been very civil dog wise.

Moobli

Visit site
Yep, my GSD is exactly the same. My other dog is a terrier and the GSD would love them to play. The terrier however, gave her one chance and decided she was too rough so won’t have any of it. One thing terriers do well is hold a grudge ?

I go on holiday every year with my sister, her border terrier and my GSDs. I do have to referee to make sure things don't get out of hand. I am actually thinking of just taking my bitch away this year as she is less barge, bang, splat than my male :cool:

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I do most of our walks very early or late. More to avoid people than dogs, as Bo gets anxious of some men.

Harder in summer as more people around and we like to go out during the day when it’s nice, but not too hot. I will be honest and say we’ve had hardly any incidences with other dogs.

This was taken on holiday last year. Only two Collies are ours ?

64EDA1C4-4250-42DF-AE63-BE691BE7C5BF.jpeg

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I'm not sure what the protocol is for when another dog is pelting it's way across a playing field directly at you and your dog but this morning I reacted instinctively and hoped for the best. I stepped in it's direction, stood firm, held my hand up and shouted 'no!' In a tone I did not know I had available to me! I don't know who was more shocked, the dog or me that it actually stopped! Looked at me, looked at it's owner calling from a distance, back to me, then trotted off to owner. Phew!

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm not sure what the protocol is for when another dog is pelting it's way across a playing field directly at you and your dog but this morning I reacted instinctively and hoped for the best. I stepped in it's direction, stood firm, held my hand up and shouted 'no!' In a tone I did not know I had available to me! I don't know who was more shocked, the dog or me that it actually stopped! Looked at me, looked at it's owner calling from a distance, back to me, then trotted off to owner. Phew!
Absolutely spot on. Make yourself a square physical barrier.
Fwiw I’m quite happy to batter other peoples dogs if it helps mine. But it’s generally quite undignified.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Fwiw I’m quite happy to batter other peoples dogs if it helps mine. But it’s generally quite undignified.

I was annoyed that it happened but walked away giggling to myself just at the shock of my response and that it actually worked. Dignity will head out the window I'm sure, I've already given up caring if I look grumpy, I just care about keeping Ivy (and other dogs) safe and happy on her walks. Yesterday it was "can you not?!" that emerged from my mouth, which also looking back makes me chuckle at myself.

skinnydipper

Visit site

and don't forget shouting like a fish wife at the owners, complete with swear words as felt necessary - I'm sure she will soon perfect the art :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Due to covid implications ive been leaving work earlier than usual, so see more people than I think I usually would. I also only park walk in the week so this adds to it too.

I am overwhelmed by idiocy on a daily basis, but today takes the biscuit. A mixed group up ahead. A lady with a very bouncy off lead staff. A chap with a young cockerpoo looking pup, very small and young but also off lead, an older chap with a huge lurcher that was on lead, then on extending lead then off lead, and a lady with a spaniel - very bouncy and off lead. Not an ounce of recall between them. All the dogs were non stop rough housing, at one point it looked like it was getting a little spicy between them. None of them had basic etiquette. It actually hurt me to see the little manners and the treatment that this was the norm.

They effectively held up my entire walk. I found myself hanging back and putting the dogs in a sit to allow some distance between us. I noted several other owners doing the same. Then later they ambushed us round a corner. Bouncy staff charges at us with laughing owner chasing her calling her name and assuring me she’s friendly. I lied ‘they aren’t, that’s why they’re on lead’ and I was assured ‘she only wants to play’. Not getting it at all. I was then held prisoner for nine minutes whilst the staff and poo puppy charged around us in a wide circle, barking and rushing at us, whilst owners chased them calling their names. There was headbutting, bowling over snd the old man even ended up with his head in a mouth. All the time I am stood still with mine on leads, the elder two unphased but Gus at five months now completely mind blown. Not even an apology.

This is sadly what I see a lot of in the park over the past couple of years. Clueless puppy pandemic people letting the dogs rough house but teaching them zero manners.

I think a big problem is that people forget what they are out for.

They are walking their dog, the dog should be their focus. Not be so engaged in a "mother's meeting" huddle that they haven't a clue what their 4 legged friend is up to.

Oh yes, plenty of this round my way! Drives me nuts!

I am keen on this, my OH prefers to walk away, but when their dog is harassing mine or going to cause a problem, I’m going to use my voice to defeat dogs. They rely on me to keep them safe, particularly when they are behaving nicely.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
and don't forget shouting like a fish wife at the owners, complete with swear words as felt necessary - I'm sure she will soon perfect the art :)
Work in progress ? currently just at the grunting/blanking them completely stage. I couldn't be bothered to get into it with the owner and I didn't care about the sorry they called out because they only started paying attention once I'd already intervened.

I am keen on this, my OH prefers to walk away, but when their dog is harassing mine or going to cause a problem, I’m going to use my voice to defeat dogs. They rely on me to keep them safe, particularly when they are behaving nicely.
I usually like to just keep walking if possible but heard it coming pelting along from behind us so knew that wasn't going to work this time. OH has previously stood between us and other dogs as well when we've been particularly keen to keep them away. There was one time she growled at another dog and I wished I'd stepped in instead of trying to keep walking.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Absolutely bang on. I rarely have a problem with other dogs. I walk quite remotely, or on local beaches at quiet times. Obviously we do come across other dogs, but problems are far and few between. Mine stay with me, and any ‘visiting’ dogs are usually seen off by Jack ?. However large dogs bowling towards us at speed are usually met with a strong word from me that mostly stops them in their tracks. It’s not unheard of for me to have mine, and ‘others’ sat waiting patiently for a treat whilst an owner arrives to collect their dog.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Well it didn't take long for a swear to emerge from me! Started off well, other owner put both (large!) dogs on lead, but as they got closer it was clear she has little to no control. I said I really appreciated her putting them on lead as they passed, only for them to take her skiing and come running barking up behind us. "Ah ah!" I shouted, before "effing hell!" and walking off. It was actually quite scary to me. I dont like to breed discriminate but a really big gsd coming at us like that was frightening.

Bumped into them again further round the loop of track, stopped and waited for her to leash them and thought great this is going to be a pita on a narrower track. She only leashed one leaving the gsd to start heading over. Out came the "don't worry he just wants to play" and I got really cross and shouted I do not care (twice because for some reason she thought it was a debate and only listened after asking if my dog was nervous, which is not really the point) and shouted no at her dog (same as yesterday). She then recalled it and I've no idea where they disappeared to but at least we didn't have to pass at close range.

I feel really down about it, I dont feel like I should have to justify everything with my dog being nervous. She's not massively nervous, mostly indifferent, but who would like two huge strange dogs piling on them? I certainly didn't appreciate it for myself regardless of my dog. It's making me dread walks more and more ?

Last edited: