Irresponsible Owners

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I take a walking stick on our dog walks- partly because I can't risk falling again but also I find it extremely useful for getting rid of unwanted dogs. A couple of yappy, horrible, untrained 'poo-things' have turned up a couple of times recently.
The first time, we had just the adult Labs and were just ready to gather our dogs and put them back on the leads to go home, when these things appeared round a bush, they charged yapping at our dogs, who chased them off for a few yards, the poos ran away, owner took no notice whatsoever.
The next time, we had the adults and the pup with us, owner was within sight on another path, poos set off, yapping, towards us from behind. I turned, lifted my stick and pointed it at them, shouted 'get out of it', poos turned and went, owner shouted 'Oi', I think at me, rather than his dogs. I was looking forwards to telling him what I thought of his bad mannered dogs (and his own manners) but he disappeared quite quickly.:p
My neighbour, who also has a Poo, tells me that every-one in the village knows these 2, they are very bad-mannerd and keep frightening her dog.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I understand what you mean about labs and how because they are typically ‘friendly’ some people think they are incapable of aggression.
When my sister first took her dog to training classes back in the 70's she told me the dogs she had most problems with were labs. One particular one went for her dog as she was leaving one night but got her calf instead. Made quite a mess of it apparently. She should have made a fuss but didn't and it was years later she even told me.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
As long as people are obviously trying (I have 2 poor recall delinquents myself) I have plenty of patience and empathy for when things go wrong. It's the people who don't see the behaviour as inappropriate who are the issue ?

I agree. I cannot understand why owners don’t understand that their lack of control is the issue. I was training Zak and Bear one day, they were 100% focused on me. An English bulldog came pelting across from miles away. I put my 2 on leads but I can’t run and the dog went under Zak, who went nuts. The owner didn’t even try to recall and when he eventually got to me, tried to make out it was my fault because mine had been loose (hard to do retrieves if on the lead!) so he assumed they were friendly. Hmm.

I wonder how the people who don't have a problem with dogs jumping up, would feel about my mastiff with her paws on their shoulders.

There was a 15 week old mastiff puppy in Pets at Home, 1st time out, being carried. It was 4 times the size of my puppies! Then we met a young Yorkshire terrier which was a quarter of the size of mine, absolutely miniature!

skinnydipper

Visit site
There was a 15 week old mastiff puppy in Pets at Home, 1st time out, being carried. It was 4 times the size of my puppies! Then we met a young Yorkshire terrier which was a quarter of the size of mine, absolutely miniature!

Mine is totally unaware of size difference. She was playing with a young Westie the other day, who in turn was not concerned about the size of my dog. It was lovely to see.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
This week gets better. I found either a large staff or a small mastiff round the back just now ? timing was lucky, 30 seconds earlier and I was swapping dogs around and the eldest was out.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine is totally unaware of size difference. She was playing with a young Westie the other day, who in turn was not concerned about the size of my dog. It was lovely to see.

That is super sweet if both play nicely. There was a cocker in the park with an unfortunate attitude last week, only 6 months but there was no way I was having mine-half it’s size-interacting. Owner was an idiot, IMO, clueless re body language. Conversely, there’s a huge schnoodle youngster who was very polite, lovely owner too.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
This week gets better. I found either a large staff or a small mastiff round the back just now ? timing was lucky, 30 seconds earlier and I was swapping dogs around and the eldest was out.

I have no idea of the size/layout of your place, but could you stockfence? When the neighbours bought a very small puppy, I said there were small holes that mine couldn’t get through but a very small puppy could. They bought quite a lot of chicken wire! It’s very annoying when the other dogs aren’t your responsibility and the owners should just keep them on leads, I know.

skinnydipper

Visit site
That is super sweet if both play nicely. There was a cocker in the park with an unfortunate attitude last week, only 6 months but there was no way I was having mine-half it’s size-interacting. Owner was an idiot, IMO, clueless re body language. Conversely, there’s a huge schnoodle youngster who was very polite, lovely owner too.

I am very particular about who she plays with :D

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I have no idea of the size/layout of your place, but could you stockfence? When the neighbours bought a very small puppy, I said there were small holes that mine couldn’t get through but a very small puppy could. They bought quite a lot of chicken wire! It’s very annoying when the other dogs aren’t your responsibility and the owners should just keep them on leads, I know.

Not really doable and I had opened my gate to drive out, was just locking up when it happened, this one didn't look capable of jumping any walls.
I did go out to check who it was with, a young woman who was already a long way down the lane so didn't see the point in hollering.
When I left she was walking it down the middle of the busy street, off leash, there is no footpath on either side and is lined with cars either side. It did seem to be relatively obedient/responding to hand signals, but why would you....

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m almost sure I read something the other day about it being illegal to not leash a dog on a main road? Dunno, might be dreaming. Bear wouldn’t ever run away, but even with him, I put a lead on to come out of the park, despite the car being literally 2 steps away. I catastrophise and imagine him seeing a cat or something.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I’m almost sure I read something the other day about it being illegal to not leash a dog on a main road? Dunno, might be dreaming. Bear wouldn’t ever run away, but even with him, I put a lead on to come out of the park, despite the car being literally 2 steps away. I catastrophise and imagine him seeing a cat or something.

I think it is covered by bye-laws, our council has a similar bye-law, not that many people take any notice.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I thought of the thread again today and the thing about advocating for your dog. Ivy is very sweet but a bit timid, we don't stop and say hi to many dogs and often when we do I feel like it's better to keep it really brief then move on. I don't want to teach her that other dogs are a worry but also feel maybe it's better to cut the greetings a little shorter than let them go on too long and to the point she's uncomfortable?

Not sure if I was overreacting today but had a whatsapoo come over to her today. Initially fine but annoying that owner let the extendable lead get tangled round OH's legs. I spotted Ivy reach her point of having had enough so OH moved her away and she was actually quite keen to move away. Other owner ignoring/being oblivious let the stupid extendable lead keep reeling out so their dog just kept coming at Ivy even though all her body language was saying no, she was moving away from it still, and I'd called out to OH that I thought Ivy had had enough. It then put its fron paws up on Ivy (maybe to hump her, not sure) so I shouted "now that IS enough". I don't know if that was the right way to manage the situation or an over reaction on my part? Ivy has been fab with other dogs so far I just feel that we shouldn't take the pee with her good nature. The other dog wasn't aggressive just overly social but with a different dog I can imagine that going wrong quite quickly.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I thought of the thread again today and the thing about advocating for your dog. Ivy is very sweet but a bit timid, we don't stop and say hi to many dogs and often when we do I feel like it's better to keep it really brief then move on. I don't want to teach her that other dogs are a worry but also feel maybe it's better to cut the greetings a little shorter than let them go on too long and to the point she's uncomfortable?

Not sure if I was overreacting today but had a whatsapoo come over to her today. Initially fine but annoying that owner let the extendable lead get tangled round OH's legs. I spotted Ivy reach her point of having had enough so OH moved her away and she was actually quite keen to move away. Other owner ignoring/being oblivious let the stupid extendable lead keep reeling out so their dog just kept coming at Ivy even though all her body language was saying no, she was moving away from it still, and I'd called out to OH that I thought Ivy had had enough. It then put its fron paws up on Ivy (maybe to hump her, not sure) so I shouted "now that IS enough". I don't know if that was the right way to manage the situation or an over reaction on my part? Ivy has been fab with other dogs so far I just feel that we shouldn't take the pee with her good nature. The other dog wasn't aggressive just overly social but with a different dog I can imagine that going wrong quite quickly.

Well done for advocating for your dog.

I hate those silly leads. My dog had one wrapped round her legs yesterday. Although she was fine with the other dog, I said to her "lets go before you get your leg broken" and moved away as soon as we could.

If we are being pestered by another dog or mine is uncomfortable I will ask the owner to call their dog, if that's a failure I ask the owner to come and get their dog. After that I ramp it up.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Of course you weren’t overreacting.

We had a large, young, boisterous lab bound over to ours today. Jack is not great with large dogs, so we popped him on the lead. Lab eventually went back to the weak calls of the owner. Jack let back off the lead, at which point lab came back and was promptly chased off by Jack.

Owner arrived and I warned that his dog was liable to be bitten. ‘It’ll serve her right’ he said. ‘No, it will serve you right for not being your dog’s advocate’ I replied. He looked very puzzled at that one ??

meleeka

Visit site
I also thought of this thread today. For the THIRD time we’ve just been harassed by the same dog ?

I live on the edge of a green so have to walk along the short side to get to my car. My rescue GSD is reactive to other dogs and I’ve worked hard to get her to the point where I can walk 6ft away from a well behaved dog and she doesn’t react. The offending dog is a teenager. When he was young, the owner kept him on a longline and trained him to come to a whistle. I saw him most days and was impressed with how well he was going. Well he’s now decided off lead is ok. The first time my son had my other dog who loves everyone so he walked in front so she could keep the bouncing dog busy while I tried to remove the GS from the situation. She just froze and barked so we waited for the owner to catch his dog. The owner seemed panicked that his dog could have been hurt by my GS so I didn’t say anything when he apologised. Yesterday I’d just got to the front door when it came over again. I managed to get GS indoors just in time and left son again to wait for owner to catch it. Then today,
because the ride dog was playing with another dog, the owner saw us getting out of the car and carried on chatting. I got my friendly dog out of the car first and the bloody thing came over again, this time with its mate on tow. It bounces round and even my friendly dog is getting fed up of it. For the third time he apologised. He’s clearly not sorry or he wouldn’t keep letting it happen so I will be telling him in no uncertain terms next time. I’m starting to feel like a prisoner in my own home, having to run the gauntlet every time I want to go somewhere ?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We took our two labs to the "common" today, chap with a spaniel and a lurcher. When we first saw them, lurcher was on a lead. We made sure we went on a path away from the one he was on and let the girls off. He then followed us, at speed and both his dogs were off lead. We called our two and sat them down, idiot man says "they're friendly, but he's nervous" allows lurcher to bounce at the yellow lab, who then snapped at it. Chap goes off, but his lurcher didn't fancy following him?‍♂️. Eventually dog wanders off. We really don't want ours playing with random dogs they meet and we really don't want other people's rude dogs jumping at them when they are sitting down, doing as they are told!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I appreciate the reassurance! Sometimes I wonder if I'm being too precious about our perfect dog that can do no wrong ? (I know not true!) But really I just feel very responsible for helping Ivy develop into a happy, confident and well behaved dog. She is so gentle and still very timid at times, but has come so far in just a couple of months. It would be horrible to see that undone by a bad experience.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Today it was normally very sensible neighbour who upset me, well, her son who currently lives with her since she fell. He got out a toy which shakes and makes a noise. All 3 of mine were terrified of it, Goose was barking, even Bear was unhappy. Fortunately, Bear got brave and picked it up. I heard the crunch before I could take it away.

The neighbour and her son thought it was hilarious. I did not. I don’t see why you’d want to frighten them. I’m so bloody annoyed. Normally, bar too many treats, the neighbour’s house is a safe space for them.

Escapade

Visit site
I don't want to teach her that other dogs are a worry but also feel maybe it's better to cut the greetings a little shorter than let them go on too long and to the point she's uncomfortable?

You’re doing well. If I were to do over the first year with mine I would have been stricter wrt boundaries with greeting dogs. I was far too soft! ? A three second “hello” is plenty and we move on
I thought she was well settled at 6 months here, looking back she was just about finding her feet. Have her 14 months now and she’s a different animal!
Hate extendable leads used like that -cheesewire comes to mind!

Snowpup

Visit site
My mare was attacked at the beach today, she was tied up and I caught the dogs and took them back to the owner who was on his phone. He apologised and then let them off to attacks her again. Both labs, not their fault but still.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My mare was attacked at the beach today, she was tied up and I caught the dogs and took them back to the owner who was on his phone. He apologised and then let them off to attacks her again. Both labs, not their fault but still.

Please, please report them to the dog warden. I hope you’re both ok. ?

lou246

Visit site
Got a phone call from my very upset Granddad this morning saying an overexcited labradoodle ran over, jumped on and knocked over his nearly 16 year old arthritic Labrador! He had to grab it and hold it until owners made an appearance, he’s in his eighties so not easy for him to keep hold of a large bouncy dog. Poor old lab was completely flattened and struggled to get back up. Owners eventually walked over, said “oops” and gave their dog a treat!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Got a phone call from my very upset Granddad this morning saying an overexcited labradoodle ran over, jumped on and knocked over his nearly 16 year old arthritic Labrador! He had to grab it and hold it until owners made an appearance, he’s in his eighties so not easy for him to keep hold of a large bouncy dog. Poor old lab was completely flattened and struggled to get back up. Owners eventually walked over, said “oops” and gave their dog a treat!

Rage!!

I saw a couple the other day, young overweight Rottweiler on a normal harness, man seemed to be coaching woman, making it sit and feeding it. Which was fine, until two older men came walking along the path and the dog dragged the woman over to it so it could have a sniff. They ignored and kept walking.

I'm sorry but I'm sure even the most ardent dog lover probably doesn't want to have a large, unknown, out of control dog come barging over to them....