Irresponsible Owners

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I obviously can't comment on this dog, but I always use a slip or at least a half check when I take a young puppy out, it reduces the chance of them slipping the collar /harness if something spooks them.
I don’t have a problem with slip leads and used them all of the time for my previous lurchers and use half check collars for my current terriers but what I didn’t like was him yanking a slip lead which was like thin cord..

Smitty

Visit site
Me too Splashgirl. As someone on a Facebook group said, it's really only the last five years I have felt concerned. I walk in a variety of areas and can go for a few miles without seeing another dog or person but this is getting less frequent and I am now worried that I might meet a dumped big dog or an owner wanting to walk a large reactive dog in remote areas.

If I do meet another dog I reckon 50% are reactive, no matter mine is on a lead, well away from them and ignoring them completely. I actually dont care too much if they are small, its irritating but they unlikely to do any damage, although along with a few xl types that I have seen around lately, there seems to be an influx of GSD types dragging their owners.

oldandgold

Visit site

This is my nightmare. Poor little dog. Just how would you get over your pet being killed in this manner.
Whilst I really feel for the owners of the terriers, not sure I agree with muzzling all big dogs. I've lost count of the number of little dogs (usually terriers but not always) who have growled, snarled and tried to get at my 2 when being lead walked - owners just laugh and say the normal "little dog thinks he's bigger.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Whilst I really feel for the owners of the terriers, not sure I agree with muzzling all big dogs. I've lost count of the number of little dogs (usually terriers but not always) who have growled, snarled and tried to get at my 2 when being lead walked - owners just laugh and say the normal "little dog thinks he's bigger.
The difference is that although the little dogs can still give a nasty bite they are unlikely to kill your dog or you.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I've lost count of the number of little dogs (usually terriers but not always) who have growled, snarled and tried to get at my 2 when being lead walked - owners just laugh and say the normal "little dog thinks he's bigger.

I, too, have had aggressive terriers trying to attack my dog, most recently at the vets and she also had an off lead terrier trying to bite her legs when she was on lead and could only lunge to try and defend herself. I had to shout at the owner to come and get his dog.

Some owners of little dogs seem to find it amusing when their small aggressive dog kicks off at a big dog 'oh Charlie, he will eat you for breakfast' said laughingly by the owner of the Coton de Tulear who was barking and running round and round my on lead GSD. They would do well to remember that aggression is aggression whether the dog is big or small and whilst their small dog can start a fight, a big dog could finish it.

Last edited:

pinkfluffy

Visit site
Was in the woods just now and saw a young woman with a big GSD. Young couple with small dog off lead let it run up to them. It leapt into the GSD's face and there was growling and barking. Young couple sort of gestured at their dog but it ran off.

GSD owner clearly working with her dog, being responsible - it was on the lead, it was walking calmly next to her, she was trying to keep his attention - and the small dog literally jumped on her dog's head. The young couple gave her a nasty look and walked off - I saw their dog running through a group of people with no attempt at recall a bit later.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Was in the woods just now and saw a young woman with a big GSD. Young couple with small dog off lead let it run up to them. It leapt into the GSD's face and there was growling and barking. Young couple sort of gestured at their dog but it ran off.

GSD owner clearly working with her dog, being responsible - it was on the lead, it was walking calmly next to her, she was trying to keep his attention - and the small dog literally jumped on her dog's head. The young couple gave her a nasty look and walked off - I saw their dog running through a group of people with no attempt at recall a bit later.

As a GSD owner, this is a fairly common occurrence.

The difference is that although the little dogs can still give a nasty bite they are unlikely to kill your dog or you.

Even more reason for people to keep their dogs safe by not letting them start something with a big dog who might finish it. It's not cute or funny, it's rude and potentially dangerous. I wonder what my dog would have done if I'd have let him access the Westie, which attached itself to his back leg, or the gang of fluffy white things that used to charge up to him barking on the beach while their owners either ignored it or laughed.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh he’s friendly, he certainly was he was humping Pearls head while Dram was puffing himself up.
Both of mine where on leads .
I think this air thing is a good idea where did people buy them .

oldandgold

Visit site
Totally agree, but what I was trying to get across was that small dog owners have to take responsibility for what is on the end of their lead just as should ALL dog owners, not just owners of large breeds.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Totally agree, but what I was trying to get across was that small dog owners have to take responsibility for what is on the end of their lead just as should ALL dog owners, not just owners of large breeds.
Luna, petite husky, has been attacked several times by small off lead dogs. She’s not reactive thankfully.

Odin, our elderly malamute would do them an injury or worse if they went at him. Both are always on lead.

Clodagh

Visit site
Alleluia! All dog owners, spot on.
And a terrier attacking my dogs would escape undamaged but my dogs might well end up reactive, so I would not be able to work them anymore.

babymare

Visit site
Where we live in Spain are 3 small dogs we have nicknamed them “shit bags”.They are evil and sit and wait and charge at any dog going past ready to bite. Done it once to our Tess. Second time a whack with the handle end of walking stick. They now might bark but by heck they stay away. Tess is always on lead and under control 😀

SilverLinings

Visit site
Although small dogs are unlikely to kill a human or a dog larger than them it doesn't mean they can't cause serious, potentially life-changing damage.

I was at an UA agility competition with my last dog (cocker, so not a tiny dog) who was very submissive and completely non-aggressive. We came out of the ring with her on lead and to heal, and had to pass other dogs waiting around the entrance. I spotted a very small terrier eyeballing another dog so gave them a wide berth, but thought it was ok as the dog had a lead attached and I could see the owner holding the other end (they were sitting on the grass). I didn't see that the lead was actually a longline, and the dog launched itself at my bitch and latched on. The owner did nothing except say 'don't worry, he's too small to cause any damage', despite the fact it was clear my dog was terrified and being bitten.

It only lasted a few seconds as I was able to wrestle it off, but as well as face and neck puncture wounds my dog had had her eyelid torn by the other dog's teeth. Despite taking her straight to the vet as I was worried about her eye (which amazingly hadn't been scratched) it still led to a serious, painful and difficult to fight eye infection and at one point it looked as though she would loose her sight/eye. She recovered many ££££s of vets fees later (totally justified, but not fair the other owner got off scot-free from the incident caused by her dog). It seriously dented her confidence and set back her training as she was then frightened of all smaller dogs.

Toddlers and babies are as close to the ground as my bitch was so potentially at risk too. Small dogs should be kept under the same control as is expected of larger dogs.

To clarify, I think that there are good and bad owners of dogs of all sizes, this certainly isn't a dig at all owners of small dogs. People need to take responsibility for their dogs full stop.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Thought I’d seen a responsible xl owner this week, being walked on a short lead, muzzled, towards the park, but no, the minute it was in the park, off came the lead and the muzzle. Fair enough, it was being entertained by the two young women walking it who were throwing sticks, but I didn’t fancy my chances with Mitch who is on a longline while his paw heals. We kept well away, but then I caught him licking fox poo! He has been sick since yesterday, puked up tea, refusing anything but ham (not stupid!)

Another walk, this time Goose, just heading back to the car and about to put him back on his lead when a medium sized labradoodle type thing came up, all friendly, but then tried humping him! I shouted, Goose was down on his belly, horrified, woman owner was laughing as I stormed up and told her the dog was not polite. Didn’t wait round for an answer, but if I see her again, I’ll be detouring or telling her to control her rude bloody dog. 🤬

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Although small dogs are unlikely to kill a human or a dog larger than them it doesn't mean they can't cause serious, potentially life-changing damage.

I was at an UA agility competition with my last dog (cocker, so not a tiny dog) who was very submissive and completely non-aggressive. We came out of the ring with her on lead and to heal, and had to pass other dogs waiting around the entrance. I spotted a very small terrier eyeballing another dog so gave them a wide berth, but thought it was ok as the dog had a lead attached and I could see the owner holding the other end (they were sitting on the grass). I didn't see that the lead was actually a longline, and the dog launched itself at my bitch and latched on. The owner did nothing except say 'don't worry, he's too small to cause any damage', despite the fact it was clear my dog was terrified and being bitten.

It only lasted a few seconds as I was able to wrestle it off, but as well as face and neck puncture wounds my dog had had her eyelid torn by the other dog's teeth. Despite taking her straight to the vet as I was worried about her eye (which amazingly hadn't been scratched) it still led to a serious, painful and difficult to fight eye infection and at one point it looked as though she would loose her sight/eye. She recovered many ££££s of vets fees later (totally justified, but not fair the other owner got off scot-free from the incident caused by her dog). It seriously dented her confidence and set back her training as she was then frightened of all smaller dogs.

Toddlers and babies are as close to the ground as my bitch was so potentially at risk too. Small dogs should be kept under the same control as is expected of larger dogs.

To clarify, I think that there are good and bad owners of dogs of all sizes, this certainly isn't a dig at all owners of small dogs. People need to take responsibility for their dogs full stop.
This terrifies me. I don’t think I’d cope with a small dog in case it was attacked. Saying that, my two are extremely submissive so any aggressive dog would cause damage, I doubt they’d fight back (and yes, I had a very DA dog, 2/3 incidents in 11 years and countless hurried exits from the park to avoid incidents, 4 different trainers, an awful lot of time and money spent, tried to avoid places we knew we’d encounter dogs, I’m aware how hard it is to have one).

SilverLinings

Visit site
Oh SL, that sounds terrible, traumatic, expensive and easily avoided by the stupid owner. I hope there was a good excuse along the lines of it doesen't like that coloured dog or something similar🙄

After her initial comment about her dog being harmless she said nothing, just left with her dog (once I had detached it from mine). My dog was a very submissive person so I wonder if the other dog just thought she was an easy target.

My lovely dog was ultimately fine, the thing that took the longest to heal was her distrust of other dogs. She had been nervous around humans (for good reason) when I got her and being able to compete at agility was the result of a lot of work building her confidence. She was such a lovely, affectionate, sweet dog and seemed really shocked and confused about the whole episode.

This terrifies me. I don’t think I’d cope with a small dog in case it was attacked. Saying that, my two are extremely submissive so any aggressive dog would cause damage, I doubt they’d fight back (and yes, I had a very DA dog, 2/3 incidents in 11 years and countless hurried exits from the park to avoid incidents, 4 different trainers, an awful lot of time and money spent, tried to avoid places we knew we’d encounter dogs, I’m aware how hard it is to have one).

I hadn't really thought my cocker spaniels were particularly small dogs before that, but the attack made me realise size doesn't stop a potentially nasty injury anyway. As with Mitch and Goose, there is no way mine ever would have fought back if she was being attacked. As this woman was sitting with her dog on a long line right outside an agility ring, and from her comment and lack of surprise, I presume she knew it could be an aggressive little bugg£r but had convinced herself he was too small for it to matter (or it just wasn't her responsibility to prevent it).

I would be wary of XLBs and poorly behaved other large breeds due to the potential for them to kill a smaller dog, but the terrier attack has made me even more aware that all dogs can cause damage. I subsequently kept my dogs (and currently my mother's dog when I have her) away from all other unknown dogs unless I know they are on a short lead and under proper control. As someone who isn't that steady on their feet I am also aware that I can be knocked over/tripped up by dogs of any size, which is another reason why I don't think a dog being small is an excuse for it to be out of the owner's control.

Dogs of all sizes are lovely, it's just owners who think their dog and it's behaviour is not their responsibility that I don't like!

Smitty

Visit site
SL, this makes me so cross. I have had 2 reactive and aggressive rescue terriers, but they were always muzzled in public and on short leads if there were other dogs around. People amaze me with their denial and lack of empathy. And it does seem to be a common occurrence for the owner of the attacking dog just to depart the scene. I don't know if these people are just wired differently, in denial or just dim.

I hope your dog is continuing in her recovery, mentally and physically and you never have to experience another damaging incident.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had mine in the pet shop on Tuesday for new collars for swimming.
There was couple in with older lovely quiet spaniel and a young JRT it’s kicked off big time at mine barking snarling bundle fury it was being fitted for of those waterproof onesies.
Cheerful couple young oh he has no idea of his own size , yes he does thinks I and they go on he’s just started doing this when he sees children we don’t think he understands what they are .
They left the quiet spaniel looking resigned to playing second fiddle to the new anti social furbaby .
It’s hard to know what say .
The lady in the shop who I know well said I know I know .
Got a pair of nice Fell dog waterproof collars for Dram and Pearl .

MurphysMinder

Visit site
"He's perfectly friendly, it's just the way he pounces when he says hello" explained the woman whose off-lead dog (don't know the breed, built like a hairy Rottweiler) scared my two on-lead sighthounds by leaping at them in the park yesterday.

Really?
This could be describing my young GSD, she is very friendly but is like Tigger with other dogs. So guess what, she is kept on lead around them, it's not difficult.

SilverLinings

Visit site
SL, this makes me so cross. I have had 2 reactive and aggressive rescue terriers, but they were always muzzled in public and on short leads if there were other dogs around. People amaze me with their denial and lack of empathy. And it does seem to be a common occurrence for the owner of the attacking dog just to depart the scene. I don't know if these people are just wired differently, in denial or just dim.

I hope your dog is continuing in her recovery, mentally and physically and you never have to experience another damaging incident.
Thank you @Smitty, you sound like a good and responsible owner. I have also previously owned a reactive dog and realise how hard it is for some owners who have to watch their dogs constantly, but like you I realise my dogs and their behaviour is my responsibility. I have had another spaniel who got attacked by a labrador, so I don't feel that small dogs are a particular risk (and most are lovely).

The dog who was bitten by the terrier gradually got her confidence back, although it took about two years. She lived to 15, and I sadly lost her a couple of years ago. She was my dog of a lifetime, and I was very relieved that she was able to get over the experience as she was a sensitive soul. It seemed so particularly unfair that it should happen to her as she was so gentle and non-confrontational, but I realise dog-attacks can sadly happen to any dog.