is 15.3hh too small for me?

MandyMoo

Visit site
sorry for embarrassing and pointless post..

but i am very tall - 5ft9/10ish... but seem to have a longer body (weird proportions!!!)... and can look quite tall on horses..

on Bugsy (who is a small 16.2hh... probably more 16.1hh) i look like this...

DSC00032-1.jpg

so do you guys think i would look too tall on a 15.3hh?? sorry, sounds silly... but have seen a nice horse for sale who is only 15.3hh... not sure if i'd dwarf it!!!! I'm maybe just used to bigger horse... went from a 13.2hh straight onto a 16.3hh Monty... so never experienced between 13.2 and 16.2!!!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Looking at that picture you should be ok on a 15.3 although as with most things it will depend on confirmation, a narrow TB may be a bit small but something wih a decent amount of girth should be fine.

MandyMoo

Visit site
Looking at that picture you should be ok on a 15.3 although as with most things it will depend on confirmation, a narrow TB may be a bit small but something wih a decent amount of girth should be fine.

thankyou :) just got me thinking what my size limit was! (minimum i mean)

but thanks, should be ok - it isn't too fine a build

Javabb94

Visit site
I am 5ft 10/11 and I am too big for my 15.2hh, although not by miles, I have really long legs :D

I'm currently looking for a new horse and have said to myself minimum 16hh although you are an inch shorter than me so I would say you should be fine on a 15.3hh.

MandyMoo

Visit site
I am 5ft 10/11 and I am too big for my 15.2hh, although not by miles, I have really long legs :D

I'm currently looking for a new horse and have said to myself minimum 16hh although you are an inch shorter than me so I would say you should be fine on a 15.3hh.

i have weirdly short legs though for my height (strange shape haha) - so its just the worry that my body will look too tall/lanky on top of a smaller horse!!

Lolo

Visit site
Sister regularly rode a 14.2hh mare without looking too big at 5'7 although she's the other way round to you- long legged!. Mare was narrow as well. I'd reckon you'd look just fine!

VRIN

Visit site
Think William Fox Pitt!! He looks good on anything!!

My current horse was 15.3 when I bought it - wouldn't have even looked if I had known the size but he is great -he has also grown a little now

LaurenB

Visit site
i'm 5ft10 and have a 17.2hh but last week rode my friends 14.2hh fresianx and was shocked by pictures and i didnt look too big at all! but like others have said depends on horses breeding I think, you will probably have to go view it to make up your mind :)

MandyMoo

Visit site
i'm 5ft10 and have a 17.2hh but last week rode my friends 14.2hh fresianx and was shocked by pictures and i didnt look too big at all! but like others have said depends on horses breeding I think, you will probably have to go view it to make up your mind :)

yea true - i think i'd need to sit on it to see if i felt too big... maybe i'd feel ok or maybe i'd feel underhorsed!!

Fairy Dust

Visit site
My mum is 5'10 and has a 14.2 cob! She also only has a dressage saddle so her long legs are even more obvious! She doesn't actually look that bad on him!

I'm sure you will be fine, I am 5'9 and had a 15.2 tb mare years ago who never felt small as she rode so big! :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm 5' 9" and ride a 14.2h Friesian cross, and I have stupid long gangly legs, and ride very long too. But then she (pony) has a HUGE barrel so I think I look OK. All depends on the horse really....

superpony

Visit site
I'm 5'9 and have a 15.3hh tb and a 14.1hh welsh x, I do look abit big on my welsh x (but not to the extreme!) and I feel just right on my tb. But I have a short body and long legs!

I*HM

Visit site
I'm 5'9 and my own lad is 15hh (cob x connie) and I apparently look fine on him height wise.

As long as said horse isn't a complete twig I don't see why you'd be tall on it?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I'm 5'10 and my two are a 15.2hh TB and a 15.3hh TB, both very fine and twiggy.

I don't mind them being small, I find it rather odd riding big horses now, even though I did used to like big horses.

Riding at dressage length can feel a bit difficult, but jumping/hacking is no bother at all.

15.3hh:
IMG_5800.jpg

15.2hh (flat bred TB):
munstead018.jpg

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I think it really depends on how the horse is built. If it's got a short length of rein and is built somewhat downhill, being of a tall frame from the hip up might become exaggerated by the horse's build. If a horse is slight of build thru the ribs and the rider has reallllly long legs, this is accentuated even more so because the way the leg hangs below the belly. Yet on wide sprung horse of the same height, you'd never notice.

I've known men of 6' to ride wee Morgan horses (15hh ish) and pull it off really well mainly because they tend to be really wide spring of rib and high head carriage.

cob&onion

Visit site
I am 5ft10 and my tb is 16.2 and the LW cob is 15hh (just). They both have deep girths so i don't look big on them. The cob being just 15hh was a worry as i thought i would be too tall on her when infact i look better on her than i do on my friends 15.3hh TB.

GinaGem

Visit site
I'm 5'8 with long legs. As other's have said i think it really depends on the horse and how you feel. For instance my 14.2hh Fjord i look ridculous on but he's wide:

5ac9c0b6.jpg

But my connie who's prob only an inch or two taller but much narrower i look big but maybe not ridiculous:

cde91ec3.jpg

At the other end of the scale i do personally like the overall picture of me on something bigger ie my old horse who was about 17hh at the time:

100B1753-1.jpg

Puppy

Visit site
As a very short legged 5'3"er the idea of 15.3 being too small is completely beyond my imagination! I consider it the perfect height! :p

Kat

Visit site
I'm 5ft8" and my horse is 15.3hh and feels a brilliant size. I don't look even approaching big on her. My husband is 6ft2" and he rides her too, he looks a little big and feels a little big but not so much so that it is uncomfortable. We are hoping she'll fill out a bit and take up his leg better, but he has stupid lanky legs than make all horses look a bit small, he can look just as lanky on a 15.1hh as on a 17.2hh!

Hedwards

Visit site
It really does depend on the shape of the horse, but i think you should be fine on 15.3hh. I'm about the same height as you (closer to 5'10" than 5'9") - my current mare (now retired) is just shy of 15.1, and as you can see shes not particularly chunky -

LeTrec2.jpg

My old mare was 16hh and relatively narrow, was fine on her too

DSCF0010.jpg

I have also ridden a 14.1 connemara on endurance rides (40k distances) and was fine on him too. plus a 14.2 gypsy cob x i borrow for hacking.

KatB

Visit site
Nope, you'll be fine! A lot of 15.3hh are "big" 15.3hh anyway. I'm a lot bigger than you even though am only 5'7, and madam is only 15.3 :D