Is anyone else clipping?

VioletStripe

Visit site
As title!

It's so hot and my Connemara is just not dealing with the heat! I'm trying to keep activities to cool ones - walking hacks through the shade etc. But, he's got such a fluffy coat from all that rain and his damn genetics that he's an absolute sweat monster, even when he's just lazing about in the field before being brought in before the hottest part of the day!

Am I being soft, or are others caving as well? I barely ever clip in summer, but we're also travelling soon so I'd rather he was cool for that as well!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
thought about it for my cob but decided to let her do her own thing, and to just wash her off loads when she's hot etc.
My other one is moulting again, having gone a bit bonkers previously while on box rest and grown a load more coat.
It'll be raining again soon enough :lol:

jakkibag

Visit site
I did two of my very hairy cobs, legs and mane left on, they are so much happier, and no chance of rain scald/sweating issues once it's off.

staffylover

Visit site
I have considered clipping my trad cob, but I'm concerned about managing a clipped horse at this time of year. I think she might need protection from sun (mostly white with pink skin) and flies, without her natural coat. I can't bear the thought of having to rug her now! She copes ok with the heat, but people have told me their horses go so much better when clipped.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Yes, full clip this week and she's much happier for it!

She's only out at night so a fly rug protects her from the evening sun.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've considered clipping our Shetland!!
Thought is that if it then turns cooler he has plenty of fat to keep him warm and it may help shift a bit (apart from the fact he'd look hilariously cute!)

-disclaimer obviously I'm not as shallow as that if I do it it will be for him benefit not cosmetic purposes before I get lynched ;)

sw4

Visit site
i clipped 3 weeks ago when we had lots of rain..unfortunately my horse wore a nz rug for one day instead of his fly rug and got bitten to pieces and I payed for it with a very expensive vets bill!!...will think twice about clipping in summer now and if I do it will definitely be a fly rug every day.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Yup, my ID show hunter is fully clipped out all year round (legs & half head left on in winter) and is much happier for it. Do what you need to do to make your pony comfy.