Is anyone else here a rosette snob??

Javabb94

Visit site
With JFTD in regards to pink lol although in my mind it is the traditional 5th colour. Got a beautiful turquoise one though for dressage this year very pleased with that :)

Orange has Always been traditional 5th colour round here

Some show centres near me have random colours though for everything mainly 4th/5th/6th

Billykid

Visit site
Funniest rosette was falling off in a stupidly small jumping class, think it was 2ft6 and I got a purple rosette and the disc had a rider falling off over a jump and it said "almost a clear round", still have that too.

Like this, I got given a rosette spending a ridiculous amount of time not getting a clear round in a clear round. I think they felt sorry for the fact my naughty little pony chucked me off TWICE. I also got a rosette with "special" for a disastrous round at a local riding school with the same pony (I think I may have fallen off in that one too...) :eek:

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Ah....rosette wars..... The recurring argument on any horsey committee anywhere ;) How big should they be? How flash should they be? What should they say on them? How much should we spend? It will never be settled and you will never keep everyone happy. It always used to be that the local shows had the OTT rosettes and when you got to the counties you got a card and a small very old fashioned plain rosette. Now even the counties seem to have gone OTT, particularly for the championships.

For our local rides we've got some very nice ones that were made locally at the moment - not over the top but they are spotty with a bit of bling on them in a myriad of different colours and they seem to be going down quite well.

We also sponsor the little kiddie 5km class at one of our big rides and we got them all little medals - that went down really well too and we were right chuffed to see them all proudly wearing their medals at the venue and refusing to take them off.

Here's a question. If you did a sponsored ride or a fun ride, and you were given a choice at the end of a rosette or some chocolate, which would you pick?

I'd choose a rosette - chocolate doesn't last whereas the rosette would have ponies name, date, venue on the back and it would be a memory for me.

Jarrive

Visit site
The vast majority of mine (i.e. everything bar 2 as I only competed a handful of times prior to uni) are all BUCS ones. I think they are super pretty :D It does upset me when they get squished though.

549975_10152631672680608_1749616994_n.jpg

I like that they have the year, the venue and whether it was team or individual on them :)

You see, the BUCS ones are nice, but I feel it gets a bit boring after a few seasons.... Being an eternal student, I've competed in BUCS (or BUSA as it was known when I started....) since 2005, and the 2007-8 season (IIRC!) was the first season with standardised rosettes. Before then you could choose your own design, and I got some elaborate and different ones which was a bit more interesting..... it is funny how much the competition has evolved since back then too..... when I first started you could select which horse each of your own team members rode after they showed the horses off, and the SJ wasn't style marked so you could just cling on for dear life and go clear ;) god I'm an old fart!! *could probably write a book on the history of student riding....*

Also with regards to being a rosette "snob", I guess I am but slightly differently to other people possibly. I never accept "clear round" rosettes as it seems a little wasteful for the show centre if you're there just for training, and overly lavish rosettes at small local shows with small fields make me inwardly cringe - however if I go to what I deem to be a large show, or get placed in a hotly competitive class, I get pretty narked if the rossies are naff!

Last edited:

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
I'm a rosette snob but rarely win any any more! Although I was a bit annoyed when we went to a local equestrian centre earlier in the year unaff showjumping, paid £10 a class and the rosettes were horrendous! It's not like its a well run, nice competition centre worth paying that for either, surface is crap and arenas dingy! My favourite rosettes are from local shows for winning champion/reserve champ. Came with stonking big trophies as well! A few years ago I won a tiny showjumping class at a local show and came home with a lovely big trophy. And considering classes there are about £5 entry then I think you BD lot are getting thoroughly ripped off! :p

Javabb94

Visit site
Off subject but to the person who said you don't pay to go HC BE errr yes you do! You have to pay your entry fee and if not a member pay for relevant day tickets as well. Even at the lowest level after start fees it's £65+ to go HC!!

No I meant you don't have to pay an extra HC price on top of entry!

Of course you have to pay entry fee and relevant day tickets!

Sorry if what I said earlier came across wrong :)

muddypony

Visit site
The vast majority of mine (i.e. everything bar 2 as I only competed a handful of times prior to uni) are all BUCS ones. I think they are super pretty :D It does upset me when they get squished though.

549975_10152631672680608_1749616994_n.jpg

I like that they have the year, the venue and whether it was team or individual on them :)

These are nice, but it is annoying that they make us shell out for the standard BUCS ones when you can get better ones for a lot less money! For our varsity competition this year we spent less and got some real whoppers - 4 layers, pointy bits and long tails. Maybe a bit OTT when it's just a bit of fun between 2 unis :p

misswagtails

Visit site
Leviticus - I laughed so hard at your post about girls wanting pink and boy just wanting to beat his sisters! (A while ago ) memories indeed :)
I love rosettes I blame this on a pony-less childhood. But I'm not a snob As much. It's nice to have a pretty rosette but I have a small understated red one which I like the most because if the achievement it represents. A win at s county show.

Having said that we have a centre close to us that has huge boxes of rosettes of small presumably cheap rosettes and when u collect a prize they just take one out. Regardless whether its weeknight sj or an arena event costing 20 to enter. I find that a little much.

I'm currently be'ing so I'm learning you can't be too snobby! A place is a place! 😀

maisie06

Visit site
I was once given a tatty and broken one for 4th place at a welsh pony and cob assc, show....at nearly £20 a class I think a new rosette wasn't too much to ask!! The best ones I have won have been at one of our local shows in Hants, they are beautiful, the classes are still only £6 - £8 and there is always a massive turnout so to win one of those is a bonus!

glitterfuzz

Visit site
Our rosettes at eland come from show stoppers.

I won a one day event at Solihull and was presented with this awfull rosette not worthy of a £5 clear round class never mind a £50 one day event and no prize! I was actually quite rude to them saying "is that it!?" when I was present it after a 3 hour wait for a prize giving!

heres a comparison!

20130518_170828.jpg

Last edited: