Is anyone else horse shopping at the moment?

Tash88

Visit site
I went looking with a totally open mind. As soon as I sat on him I felt safe unlike the others!! 16.2 ex national hunt 11yo. Real old fashioned chunky tb. An absolute saint of a horse. Jumps for fun!! No schooling but that's what I like to do so plenty to work on. Hacks alone and in company. Been out to 2 different venues and couldn't ask for an easier horse. Good luck in your search x

Wow, he sounds fabulous - enjoy your winter schooling! The 'safe' feeling is what I am after and I'm sure I'll know when I've found it. x

Tash88

Visit site
I'm not horse shopping now, but I was last year. I feel for you, while it is exciting, it is also a horrible process. The lies people will tell to sell a horse never fail to amaze me, and that's before you get to the people that change their mind just when you think you've found something suitable.

As in people change their minds about selling the horse? I didn't even have that down on my list of worries!

I was refreshed to have an honest chat with a seller today - I enquired about a lovely Sec D and the seller asked me what I was looking for and we had a little chat, then she said that he was spooky and spun on occasion. Which would be fine for lots of people but not suitable for me, so I won't be going to see him. He is a lovely horse so she won't have any problems selling him.

Tash88

Visit site
I'm not looking *yet* but am half keeping an eye on the market in case something I cannot afford to miss falls into my lap. Both mine and my share horse are 21 now with a couple of little issues so are starting to slow down. The only problem is there's no room at the yard at the moment so in the real world I have to wait for a space before I can look properly. The next stable that becomes free is mine and then I can start. Might be next week might take 2 years! I have a back up plan if Mr Perfect steals my heart though, just have to convince my friend to have one of them at hers until there's room at the yard.

I'm in a similar position - trying to tell myself it is sensible to buy now though as it is a bit of a buyers market at this time of year.

Tash88

Visit site
I'm also hunting, in a similar situation. I've had my 14.2hh for 24 yrs and he's now on light duties only, he will stay with me as a pet as long as he's fit and happy.
He's always been such a fun but safe, sensible hack, and finding one I like the 'look' plus the personality, is proving to be tough. I've been looking for about 3 months and only viewed one, which wasn't right for me. I saw another I liked but he sold straight away. I've never really ridden big horses so aiming for around 15/15.2hh and I have a weakness for chunky Arabs/ArabX. That really limits the search!!
I have another local friend also looking, and having a tough time as well, travelling miles to see a horse that is not as described..... it' a minefield.

I'm trying to be flexible but I do have a weakness for Welshies - difficult to find one that is suitable and at the right price though. Also looking at ISHs.

I don't know how far to travel either - there is a lovely ISH I've seen that my trainer likes but he is in Cumbria and I am in Surrey! The trip up will be exciting but I wouldn't want to drive 6 hours home after being disappointed by something that has been mis-advertised. It is a proper minefield.

Crazydancer

Visit site
I'm trying to be flexible but I do have a weakness for Welshies - difficult to find one that is suitable and at the right price though. Also looking at ISHs.

I don't know how far to travel either - there is a lovely ISH I've seen that my trainer likes but he is in Cumbria and I am in Surrey! The trip up will be exciting but I wouldn't want to drive 6 hours home after being disappointed by something that has been mis-advertised. It is a proper minefield.

Yup. I've actually found people with Arabs are being very honest. One told me she appreciates how difficult buying is as she's been through it herself in the past - she'd even arrange an overseas flight to go and view - only to arrive and be told he'd been sold!!!

catembi

Visit site
I am HOUSE shopping...which is like horse shopping only harder! Aaaarrrggghhh, there are NO equestrian properties to buy, and the buyers of mine are super-keen, so I'm going to be homeless with 2 horses, 3 Rottweilers & 5 cockatiels....!!!!!!!

wyrdsister

Visit site
Exciting though, I wish I could buy horses as easily! Guessing you have land at home?

No, not yet. Baby Highland is very baby (2017) so staying on livery with her breeder until she's a few years older! We're looking to get some land before she's grown up enough to start backing.

JoannaC

Visit site
Not yet but next year I will be. I finally have the horses at home and planning for a school but my mare is no longer rideable and my gelding is 23 but still able to do light work. Trying not to look now as really need to wait until after the school is built and my main field needs weed killing and reseeding in the Spring so longer I leave it the better but it's hard not to look online! It is quite scary though as I don't have the confidence anymore and not sure what i should be looking for as always had feisty forward going arabs and not sure I would enjoy having to use my legs too much but do want something a little steadier now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Horse shopping?

Not any more!

horse109342-1.jpg

ihatework

Visit site
Well I think/hope we managed to buy one of the two we are looking for.
She is potentially going to be mega. Just need to get through the vetting & xrays now *fingers tightly crossed*

Tash88

Visit site
Well I think/hope we managed to buy one of the two we are looking for.
She is potentially going to be mega. Just need to get through the vetting & xrays now *fingers tightly crossed*

Best of luck! When is the vetting or would it jinx it if you shared the date?

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm not actively looking, more just keeping an eye out. :) 11 year old novice daughter would love a pony of her own. Will start actively looking after Christmas I think. Having just moved house I think we need everything to settle down a bit first.

ihatework

Visit site
Best of luck! When is the vetting or would it jinx it if you shared the date?

Today, but we will need to get the X-rays sent over and read by our Vet as well so might not know immediately. Hopefully this will be third time lucky, already had 2 fail. One on undisclosed clinical history and one on hind suspensory scans!

Rollin

Visit site
I am amazed at how many people are horse shopping in the run up to winter. I have had a lot of enquiries for two of my horses. Buying and selling is a two way ticket and I have turned away several buyers, one too tall and heavy, three too young and inexperienced. I am also pleased that a man who was mad keen to view on Sunday found another horse, he was so keen he wanted a vetting organised last week when we were competing. He particularly wanted another Shagya mare, having lost his own mare, but he was interested in a leisure horse and we want her to go to a competition home. I am pleased he has found another horse.

ycbm

Visit site
Ooh congratulations! Looks lovely - tell me more about him!

Mummy was a harness racing trotter, daddy is marked as unknown but was clearly an appaloosa! Somebody somewhere had a LOT of Arab, because he has an Arab head and his body is also very Arab. He has some seriously decent paces. He's two, a colt (until Friday!) And about 15 hands. I hope he will mature around 16 hands and see me into my old age.

I'm toying with Sheik of the Dice as a competition name, what do you think?

Anyone looking for a project? I have my spooky 16.2 Paint QHx up for loan with a view to buy. He needs a busy competitive home and I'm letting him down, I think.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Mummy was a harness racing trotter, daddy is marked as unknown but was clearly an appaloosa! Somebody somewhere had a LOT of Arab, because he has an Arab head and his body is also very Arab. He has some seriously decent paces. He's two, a colt (until Friday!) And about 15 hands. I hope he will mature around 16 hands and see me into my old age.

Anyone looking for a project? I have my spooky 16.2 Paint QHx up for loan with a view to buy. He needs a busy competitive home and I'm letting him down, I think.

Sheik Throw of the Dice ?.??

LaurenBay

Visit site
I have been looking, I really shouldn't be as can't get another until next Nov/Dec realistically as I am going away for 6 weeks in September.

I have one already but she is now retired at the grand old age of 12!

Crazydancer

Visit site

I like that chap a lot, that's the 'type' I'm looking for, just an older, more established version! (With/without spots!) I like the name too. :)

ycbm

Visit site
I like that chap a lot, that's the 'type' I'm looking for, just an older, more established version! (With/without spots!) I like the name too. :)

I like him a bit too :) just girding my loins for the mayhem that introducing a new one tomorrow is going to cause.

Tash88

Visit site
I like him a bit too :) just girding my loins for the mayhem that introducing a new one tomorrow is going to cause.

So exciting you've got your lovely new boy home - I've seen your other thread :)

I've had dramas over the weekend and it's been pretty disappointing - now waiting to get a deposit paid back and hoping this process is a smooth one...