Is anyone happy with what they have got?

sz90168

Visit site
I am not that happy. My rising 4 year old Warmblood just had Surgery and now cannot be ridden for at least a year. I had only very lightly backed him but I was really looking forward to do doing a few things with him this year. On the other hand I do have one amazing dressage horse i can have weekly lessons on and I have hopefully got the ride on a PRE stallion. So I guess every cloud has a silver lining .

lme

Visit site
Another one for the happy camp. My little herd are very happy at our current yard, our yard owner is brilliant, the old girl is looking better than ever (at 33), broken pony is sound enough to enjoy a happy retirement and I'm getting to ride much more than I have in the recent past.

Serephin

Visit site
I am blissfully happy with my neddy. My yard is not perfect but the good outweighs the bad easily. A few months ago I thought I was going to lose my boy, so every day I see his fuzzy cobby face is another day in heaven for me 😍

khalswitz

Visit site
I think there's a difference between being happy and being content. I am very happy - I (mostly) love my horse and he is sound, which is always good. I probably am the happiest I've been in my life these last few months. I was happy at my old yard, and the new one seems to suit even better so even happier.

Am I content? Probably not. I'll always have things to aim for and plans to improve - when I first got horses, I thought is be happy forever just owning, but now I am enjoying competing and want to be successful. I have competition aims, training aims, I am trying to save for a lorry... So whilst I am very happy, I am still always aiming for the next thing.

I do always take the time to appreciate my horse though - that's what all those long solo hacks are for - cooing at my horse!

NZJenny

Visit site
As a child I lived in the city with a non horsey parents - all I can ever remember wanting to do was ride.

Now that I'm an adult and have my own money to spend as I want, I live the dream every day. It doesn't get any better than that - apart from having to actually earn the money ......

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
When I read problems on here I thanks my lucky stars. Not that I haven't had my fair share over the years though, which is why I think I'm lucky now as I really appreciate what I have.

I'm pretty happy with my lot. I've had my boy over 8 years and love him to bits and the yard I'm on has good grazing, the best hacking and reasonable facilities and is only 10 minutes max from home.

This doesn't mean its my ideal scenario. I'd love to keep him a bit more naturally, maybe have my own place. I wish he was 10 years younger and we could have that time again and that I hadn't had to manage his SI strain. I feel very lucky though as really for the most part we have done lots together, had fab time and he is very lovable and a pleasure to own.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Totally happy with horse . Think the world of the bloke who owns other horses and small holding . Other ladies are lovely and hacking brilliant.ive seen the dark side of the horse world and know when ive got it good!

Daytona

Visit site
Absoulutly I love my horse, I love my yard
I love I can ride daily no matter the weather.
I have a whole year of comps planned and nothing to stand in my way.

Could not be happier. :)

Kat

Visit site
Me!

Very happy with the horsey part of my life!

Horse is going well, she's holding weight, coping barefoot, and the schooling is coming on.

Yard is good, great facilities, nice people, no problems, buddies to hack with and I even have company in the evening as my nephew is sharing a pony on the yard. Field is muddy round the gate but ok.

Weather isn't great but it isn't stopping me from riding. We have an indoor school which I use on week nights and hack at the weekend. Can't remember the last time I missed a hack due to weather. We have good wet weather gear, high winds don't bother us and bare hooves grip well on frosty roads.

Now if I can sort out my commute, my finances, the house and some family health issues life will be rosey!

Lunchbox legend

Visit site
Yep - another happy bunny here :) . I share a lovely gent of a horse. His owner is great (one of those honest, gentle, easy going people) and she sometimes spends time with me showing me something new to do with him.

The people on the yard are friendly, I haven't come across any bitching or snobbery and the yard owners are down to earth and focused on the horses' welfare.

Of course I don't like trudging about in the mud, especially when it's windy and rainy but then I just think about how many calories its burning up and how lucky I am to be outside in the country rather than in an office in the city. I've found that how happy I am, often depends on how I view the situation I'm in.

starryeyed

Visit site
I'm happy, I love our horses to bits and never take them for granted. I like all the boring bits and put up with the awful weather and mud (though would prefer not to) and always rush home to play ponies rather than do 'normal' things after work like go out with friends of an evening. My mare is my absolute dream horse and not a day goes by where I don't feel so lucky to have her, however I would be slightly happier if I could actually ride her rather than just pay her continuous vets bills while she is on various forms of box/field rest!

prosefullstop

Visit site
I will be :)

We are building a three-stall barn this year, with attached all weather paddocks, and fencing off some fields for pastures. I have fantastic hacking through woods and fields right behind the property, so will never have to ride on a road.

Only thing I need now: the horses :D

Chottsy

Visit site
Another member of the happy crew! :)

I'm sharing a horse for the first time! At the yard I used to work at before Uni with people I trust and admire as riders!

The big Ginger Bear is fabulous! He makes me feel like I can sort of ride and I love every minute I ride him. He's everything I could want, despite the days when his brain falls out his nose and certain corners of the school are terrifying. He tries hard and turns out you can teach an old dog and all that! :)

I don't have the time or money atm for one of my own, so a horse I can just turn up and love is perfect!! :D

Only thing I could ever think of changing is his age! Would give me longer to save up and buy him! :p

SarahF

Visit site
Can I join the happy crew too?!
I don't even have my own horse yet - but nor do I have the icky winter weather lol!
Constantly counting my blessings :)
I ride a cheeky yet loveable stallion twice a week on a sunny beach (& my hubs is planning to buy me my own in the coming months God willing.)
So, I'm happy AND excited here! :D

huskydamage

Visit site
Definately in the Happy Crew :)

With all the hard work and expense of this hobby, it wouldnt be worth it otherwise!

I love my time up the stables with my horse its the best part of my day and going for a nice hack (aka mad gallop across the countryside) is my way to relax. I would probably go crazy without it!
My hyper-active chestnut mare nutcase, has been my best friend for over 10 years and I could not have imagined a better horse for myself!
The only bad thing for me is that she isn't getting any younger and I don't know what I will do without her.

Meems

Visit site
I'm happy too, I've got a lovely horse of my own (waited a loooooooooong time for that to happen) and I'm at a lovely yard.

Getting though winter is always the most testing time, especially if you're on DIY, but I never begrudge it. I'm just lucky to have my own horse.

Annagain

Visit site
I have the best of both worlds with my horse and my share horse. Mine is great to hack (when he's not chucking me off spooking at a beer bottle :rolleyes: - think he had too long off over Christmas) but can't jump due to foot problems, while my share horse is a little on the dull side to hack but wonderfully confidence giving at jumping which I need after my boy shattered it (not his fault due to the foot problems). I get to do whatever I want with him, whenever I want. His owner is my best friend and my boy's sharer is fab.

I love my yard. Lovely YO, fellow liveries and the right balance of very few rules but nobody really needing them, close to home and nice facilities for a reasonable price.

I trust both my farrier and my vet implicitly, have not been ripped off by my feedshop and have two very good instructors who help me a lot.

The only thing I'm really not happy about is both horses are grey, but can't see that changing any time soon :D

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Yes, very happy ATM. Rode my lovely cob for the first time in 9 months following illness and then surgery for a brain tumour. You can't wipe the smile off my face. Got to build up my riding fitness slowly, but already planning training and comps for the spring. And looking for a new horse for my OH - he has been looking after my cob for me whilst I was ill and he has been bitten big time by the horsey bug. Also, we are lucky to be on a great yard with lovely people who are always happy to help me out. Could do with a bit more sunshine, but compared to the weather some are having (in UK and USA) I think we are pretty lucky :)

monkeybum13

Visit site
I am very happy with my yard, the people are lovely and there's always company if you want a good natter out hacking. Our arena holds up brilliantly in the rain and american barns are a godsend in the rain!

I couldn't be more pleased with my horse, he is such a trier and has the most friendly personality.

People find it far too easy to complain about that bad things than to reflect on the good things. If you don't like things, you have to make a change!

:)

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I'm happy, but another who isn't content.

I have a wonderful family and a fab daughter. And I share a lovely horse with a great owner who is super chilled.

However... (And there always is one with me) all sharing has done has confirmed that I do really want my own again. It's not the same. However lovely the owner I've had my own before and I would always do things slightly differently. I miss being the one to make decisions and having that special bond with a horse, that my share horse has with her owner.

And as I pay quite a bit to share, I'm not going to be able to afford to have my own while I'm sharing. So I might have to stop sharing to save up to buy. And I do want to buy.

So although I'm happy I'm not content.

P. S. work is *****. Nhs underpaid, overworked for skint trust who is having a massive inspection next week cos its rubbish. Brings a downer on everything else at the mo.